Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6747 6748 [6749] 6750 6751 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443798 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #101220 on: April 25, 2016, 04:53:44 am »

Guilty pleasure music? I don't understand what you're talking about.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101221 on: April 25, 2016, 07:50:35 am »

Playing some more Bravely Second, still really great. I tried my hand at fighting the extra-hard optional bosses that are tied to streetpassing, and the first one I try is named "Snowcap" and goddamn is that thing horrifying. Like, not in a "this is a tough enemy" horrifying, I mean "This jumped straight out of a Junji Ito manga" horrifying. I mean, it was a tough enemy, it fucking kicked my ass even though I thought I was pretty gratuitously overleveled, I just wanted mention that this thing is a direct-to-nightmare monstrosity and I applaud the disturbing design in an otherwise *extremely* child-friendly game.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #101222 on: April 25, 2016, 08:48:31 am »

American education has reached peak self-parody (or so help us God): a for-profit online PhD program in HR.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #101223 on: April 25, 2016, 09:10:05 am »

American education has reached peak self-parody (or so help us God): a for-profit online PhD program in HR.
I hope it's a parody

Cost
$4,665 per quarter
Course Length
10 weeks
Riiight

Common jobs with an online PhD in Human Resource Management include ... private education.
People with Doctoral degrees in Business from Capella earn an average of $42,000 more per year than people who only hold a Master's degree.
What's the bet these guys took their own course to skew the statistics
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #101224 on: April 25, 2016, 09:26:17 am »

I'm not particularly well versed in foreign education systems, but isn't a master's degree about on the same level of education as a doctorate?

(I've never heard anyone call themself a Doctor of Business, for that matter; they've all been Masters and Bachelors.)
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101225 on: April 25, 2016, 09:47:49 am »

I'm not particularly well versed in foreign education systems, but isn't a master's degree about on the same level of education as a doctorate?

(I've never heard anyone call themself a Doctor of Business, for that matter; they've all been Masters and Bachelors.)
No.

Associates < Bachelors < Masters < Doctors.

Typically the time investment for each is two years, four years, [varies but on average two years full time], and god knows how long because it heavily depends on the program and your effort.

You only go for a doctoral degree for certain purposes: if you're going to be a medical doctor, if you intend to try your luck as university faculty, &c. It's very firmly not something that the vast majority of careers need, and this is an alarming sign of further education creep.

For what it's worth, my mother worked as a regional HR manager (as in, responsibility for office and warehouse complexes in ~1/3 - 1/2 of the continental U.S.) for a major retailer for decades, spending two out of every three weeks jetting off somewhere to run training or put out fires, and the highest education she completed was a BA in English. It's one of those careers where education will never give you everything you need, you've got to have practical experience.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101226 on: April 25, 2016, 10:00:04 am »

Turned on my screen to this:
Spoiler: steam (click to show/hide)

Refreshing it does not show any real update news.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101227 on: April 25, 2016, 10:10:35 am »

Dredging up memories, that reminds me of old Steam. Is it up to date?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101228 on: April 25, 2016, 10:17:25 am »

Yeah.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101229 on: April 25, 2016, 10:39:51 am »

I can't stop listening to His World, the absolutely obnoxious butt-rock hip-hop theme song from Sonic 2006.

I mean, I love all the music from Sonic Adventure and all of it's sequels and spinoffs, so that might explain it. But even I have to admit that His World is kinda iffy.
Sonic seems to manufacture guilty pleasure music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPBKIhm1Gs4
It's kinda funny because this could be a decent standalone song and you most likely couldn't even tell it's a "sonic" song.

And in other news...

My nephew came to visit with one of his friends. Both around 6-7 years old so i let them play the most kid friendly game i have (a kart racer).
It was not pretty. I obviously wasn't expecting good technique since they are young and all but... they literally had problems with simple concepts like holding the accelerate button. One even claimed to have been stuck while in reality he just forgot to press the accelerate button... SEVERAL TIMES as if it was impossible for him to do more than one thing at the same time.
I can understand bad not knowing the tracks or having problems with the gamepads but somewthing as simple as holding the accelerate button in a racing game is the most basic concept ever.

Back when i played the C64 and NES games they had no mercy on me and for all i can tell neither of those kids would stand a chance against games i used to play when i was 4-6 (Super Mario bros, Operation Wolf, Cabal ETC).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101230 on: April 25, 2016, 10:59:56 am »

Ha, I remember being somewhere between four and ten and sucking at racing games, but that was mainly due to me crashing repeatedly into the sides of the track, not forgetting to hold the accelerate button. ...Shit, better not think about this stuff too much, I don't feel like having a nostalgia attack right now. >.>
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101231 on: April 25, 2016, 11:06:51 am »

Music lesson today.

My teacher showed me a very simple galop written for a natural horn (i.e. one without any valves). I demonstrated it with little difficulty.

"Now play it on this gardening hose!"

Apparently, around four meters of hose equals a natural F horn when I tape a kitchen funnel to one end and put my mouthpiece in the other.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 11:09:23 am by IcyTea31 »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101232 on: April 25, 2016, 11:11:32 am »

I wonder if someone taught them that, or if they found out themselves.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101233 on: April 25, 2016, 11:21:00 am »

She said she adjusted the hose to the correct length (and thus key) with trial, error, and a smartphone app. The method itself is about as old as natural horns are, though people in history used wood and ivory rather than rubber, for hopefully obvious reasons.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101234 on: April 25, 2016, 11:26:46 am »

people in history used wood and ivory rather than rubber, for hopefully obvious reasons.
It's because back then all available rubber was being used to make condoms, before Jesus banned all birth control during his glorious iron-fisted reign over the cosmos, duh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 6747 6748 [6749] 6750 6751 ... 11040