Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6734 6735 [6736] 6737 6738 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14450825 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #101025 on: April 21, 2016, 03:00:41 pm »

OK:
1) Osmotic pressure is very different to the way people act (people don't move from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration. Cities disprove this one)
2) In reality you need to worry about things other than carrying capacity. Most, if not all, countries aren't actually at their carrying capacity. In countries you have to consider jobs, environment etc.
3) Water has no consciousness, collective, individual or otherwise, and no society in which to have an impact, positive or negative. It affects reactions and diffusion pressure. Not much else, really.
4) Plant cell walls don't regulate osmosis, they just act as a wall to stop the cell bursting when internal pressure is too high

There's probably more issues.

I think you read too much into the analogy. The general idea, as you said in point four, is that the wall prevents internal pressure from becoming too high - and rupturing the cell.

Pressure on housing, systems, healthcare.

I think it's fairly obvious that I didn't mean things like a collective conciousness a la the Hive trying to get into the country.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:02:48 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101026 on: April 21, 2016, 03:45:26 pm »

why did it take until now to realize i could get office completely free because I'm a student!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101027 on: April 21, 2016, 03:48:20 pm »

I narrowly avoided a speeding ticket because the cop pulled over the wrong guy.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101028 on: April 21, 2016, 03:49:10 pm »

But wtf (and I only just heard about this, although the article is from march): http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/cover_story/2016/03/ego_depletion_an_influential_theory_in_psychology_may_have_just_been_debunked.html
Hey, thanks for the link. That took me to a really good article on 538 about the over-valuation of p-values and unethical design & analysis practices. Also to the infamous article Get me off Your Fucking Mailing List (Mazieres & Kohler, 2005), which deserved another good read through.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #101029 on: April 21, 2016, 03:51:39 pm »

Did you speed away from the scene of the speeding?  :P
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101030 on: April 21, 2016, 04:03:55 pm »

why did it take until now to realize i could get office completely free because I'm a student!
Either you didn't know or because you were using libreoffice.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #101031 on: April 21, 2016, 05:10:59 pm »

Sure. And a membrane must be able to stop detrimental elements from entering the cell as a whole.

In this way, a border does stop the country exploding. Sometimes literally, mainly metaphorically.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #101032 on: April 21, 2016, 05:13:53 pm »

After noodling on a monsters face for a while I zoom out and realise that the hole it was supposed to have instead of a face looks like an anus. How the fuck did I not notice this sooner :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #101033 on: April 21, 2016, 05:15:12 pm »

If you put teeth on a butthole it looks like a maggot-mouth.

erm, let me try that again.  A hole is a hole.  To assume it has to look vague mammalian or reptilian or even avian is meh.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #101034 on: April 21, 2016, 05:22:53 pm »

Well I was going for a "gaping hole of madness on a thing that is not of this world" kind of look. Fixed it in the end, funny how a small adjustment turns it from an asshole into a hole punched in stone :D
AS - IG

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #101035 on: April 21, 2016, 06:04:38 pm »

Well I was going for a "gaping hole of madness on a thing that is not of this world" kind of look. Fixed it in the end, funny how a small adjustment turns it from an asshole into a hole punched in stone :D
Tell me, how do you turn an assface into one of the giants from Dark Souls 2?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101036 on: April 21, 2016, 06:08:06 pm »

Did you speed away from the scene of the speeding?  :P
No. I started getting ready to pull over by slowing down and getting into the right lane. The guy behind me didn't, and got popped when he stayed in the way of the state trooper instead of letting him by. They actually wound up passing me before he got pulled over.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #101037 on: April 21, 2016, 06:32:43 pm »

Tell me, how do you turn an assface into one of the giants from Dark Souls 2?

You don't because they are one and the same already :P
AS - IG

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101038 on: April 21, 2016, 06:48:36 pm »

Been looking at some items in Diablo 2 and vanilla World of Warcraft and... wow i must say they made a lot of progress when it comes to planning item stats.

Diablo 2 can be forgiven because the items are mostly random but WoW?
Oh my...
Warrior items with spirit on them... back when spirit was pretty much the most useless stat to have and doubly so on a warrior (because spirit increased the speed of mana and HP regeneration and HP regen was so slow with or without spirit that you might as well just eat a consumable for HP regen... and warriors had no mana so mana regen didn't even affect them)

So basically spirit was mostly for raiding healers that had to endure a 15 minute bossfight and had no business being on warrior gear other than maybe making it look a bit better because "It has more numbers on it!"
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:50:07 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101039 on: April 21, 2016, 09:22:20 pm »

No numbers on vertical axis... But there are lines! This is used in an opinion piece on SciAm which claims that Moore's Law isn't dead, and uses this chart as proof.

Also the horizontal axis (and presumably any conclusions one might draw from the nice straight line) is fucked: the first set of years is about 15 years. The second set is about 10 years. The third, the "Moore's Law Era," is about 60 years. It's about equal in width to the first two sets of years. As you can see, the line and the dots on the graph somehow maintain a nice straight trajectory in passing through all three, despite the obvious time fuckery making it clear that the line could not possibly actually be anything close to a single straight line...

If you do find and read the article, just FYI, I stopped reading partway through, right around the time I reached that image and concluded that it was bullshit. (If you really want to read it, it is here)

(The article's chief claim appears to be "While the rate of decrease in the cost per transistor inevitably slows from the 30% per year historical rate as the total accumulated volume becomes very large, nature (or at the very least, history) tells us that the cost reduction must still be achieved but possibly by different means", so if that makes any sense to anyone, please, enlighten me)

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 6734 6735 [6736] 6737 6738 ... 11040