Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6733 6734 [6735] 6736 6737 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14450886 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #101010 on: April 21, 2016, 11:50:36 am »

Cameron's political views are "whatever will get me votes".
From here it seems like they are 'whatever will get me in the most news articles, regardless of how bad'.
Perhaps for him, it's one and same.
No publicity is bad publicity and all that.

It's a shame that the only parties that really have a distinct viewpoint are the right-wing parties like UKIP and the SNP, and they're terrible.
Well, I suppose Corbyn does have his own distinct views he stands up for, but his opinions are terrible in the opposite direction.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101011 on: April 21, 2016, 11:53:26 am »

The SNP are right-wing? I mean, they're nationalists, but aren't they also social democrats?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #101012 on: April 21, 2016, 11:55:01 am »

@Furtuka:How does that even work?

Basically a large amount of factors in my life all converged into each other during my teenage years. I was raised with traditional eastern values and so have a really strong sense of respect towards authority and a somewhat stronger leaning towards collectivism over individualism, and also had a differently toned upbringing due to being a nerd from a family of nerds.

This got reinforced further due to having a very large extended family in close proximity who are very tightly knit due to surviving becoming refugees alongside each other and holding gatherings of some kind or another every other week, growing up with stories of how my dad's family was airlifted out of Vietnam by the US Military to protect them from the expected purges and how my mom's family escaped on a boat and came to America after being sponsored by a Pastor, and after my brother was diagnosed with autism I grew up having to set a good example for him and developed a disposition towards avoiding causing any trouble so as to not load my parents with any extra stress. More recently I've also concluded that there was also a pretty strong difference in behavior between me and my peers due to having different examples set by our parents since my family was very strict and comparatively soft-spoken.

So basically around 4th grade I started to diverge a ton from my peers and friends and grew pretty distant since I was more into reading as opposed to anything else. So I had a lack of contact with outside influences for the next few years of my life. And starting around middle school I became outright resentful of most of the most of the other kids in school because of having to deal with their stupidity after I wound up not getting into the junior high gifted program due to not receiving my ADD diagnosis and medication until the summer right between elementary and middle school, and the students in said program were the only ones I was really able to get along with.

So come high school I had a massive dislike for the rowdiness and crude humor all of the other students exhibited, and really despised a lack of respect for authority figures in general, as in my perspective they were just doing their job, and I had a really strong understanding of why the enforcement of rules was done the way it did. Also Bay12 kind of influenced me a ton during that time too since reading peoples discussions in GD back gave me a broader reference pool as to worldviews and values. And as silly as it sounds I wound up skipping past parts of the nihilism stage due to catching Gundam 00 on the Syfy channel in between 8th and 9th grade which heavily influenced my worldview towards conflict, understanding people, and hope/faith/potential. :P

So basically to sum it up I saw teenage rebellion as the oppressive and bullying dominant culture held amongst my peers/generation and considered it as being pointlessly edgy and disruptive for the sake of trying to look cool and massage the ego.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 01:52:16 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101013 on: April 21, 2016, 12:40:00 pm »

The SNP are right-wing? I mean, they're nationalists, but aren't they also social democrats?
Yeah, really? I'm not a Scot, but I know that Scotland is on the whole markedly farther left than the rest of Britain, and the SNP's supporters are on the leftward side of Scots.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #101014 on: April 21, 2016, 12:42:46 pm »

Huh, that's really neat Furtuka, giving me some food for thought and reflection myself now. I'd say I became rebellious partly because the internet opened up my views and it turned out that a lot of the stuff my parents warned me about didn't make much sense. That and the growing resentment of my two favourite things being called shit and a waste of time didn't help much.

Tho ironically enough, as much as I tried to be different I still picked up almost all of the bad traits my dad has, something that's caused me a bunch of issues and probably will until I fix all of that stuff.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101015 on: April 21, 2016, 01:54:30 pm »

Quote from: BBC
Republican front-runner for the US presidential race Donald Trump has weighed in on the bathroom provisions of the laws, saying people in North Carolina should be allowed to use the bathroom they feel is appropriate.

Asked whether reality television star Caitlyn Jenner could use any bathroom in Trump Tower in New York City, he said "That is correct."

"North Carolina did something that was very strong," Mr Trump told ABC's The Today Show. "And they're paying a big price."
Colour me surprised. Then again, my keeping up with Donald's views has been 'He wants a wall, wants Mexico to pay for it, and seems to complain about women.'
Do note that Caitlyn has, in recent past, proposed to act as a "pro-Trump representative of trans people", or something like that. She supports Trump, btw.
._.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101016 on: April 21, 2016, 02:00:51 pm »

Yeah, really? I'm not a Scot, but I know that Scotland is on the whole markedly farther left than the rest of Britain, and the SNP's supporters are on the leftward side of Scots.
Woops, yeah, meant BNP, not SNP. Not sure why I hit S instead of B, but there you go.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #101017 on: April 21, 2016, 02:02:29 pm »

Cameron's political views are "whatever will get me votes".
From here it seems like they are 'whatever will get me in the most news articles, regardless of how bad'.
Perhaps for him, it's one and same.
No publicity is bad publicity and all that.

It's a shame that the only parties that really have a distinct viewpoint are the right-wing parties like UKIP and the SNP, and they're terrible.
Well, I suppose Corbyn does have his own distinct views he stands up for, but his opinions are terrible in the opposite direction.

UKIP isn't terrible, you pleb. They're simply misunderstood by leftist scum.  >:(

((Maybe I should add the disclaimer that this is a joke - though I actually quite like UKIP on a number of points, one of the main ones being that they're not slippery devils like Cameron and Co.))

Edit: And now I hear you comparing them to the BNP. 0_o

Not quite fair.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101018 on: April 21, 2016, 02:04:55 pm »

Well. Ukip might just get away with being decribed as blatantly and zealously xenophobic, rather than actually racist, for the most part, possibly. Not totally sure.

One wheel short of a wagon

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101019 on: April 21, 2016, 02:07:41 pm »

A tighter border isn't racist or xenophobic, just sensible. In other words, not for matters of race or nationality, but for practical reasons.

I don't know if it's the political view of this forum or not (though I suspect that it is) but I hear the sentiment "they're racist/xenophobic" much, much more here than in RL.

The policies in themselves are not.

I mean, too much Osmosis destroys a plant cell if it doesn't have its wall to limit intake.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #101020 on: April 21, 2016, 02:13:55 pm »

Its about keeping track of who is what and where and what resources/projected costs would be for things as complex as wellfare and emergency relief supplies to something as mundane as census gathering and voter turnout projection and things like 'x per million' and how many voters are projected to turn out.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101021 on: April 21, 2016, 02:19:38 pm »

Then explain what's wrong rather than just saying it is wrong.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101022 on: April 21, 2016, 02:38:09 pm »

Quote from: BBC
Republican front-runner for the US presidential race Donald Trump has weighed in on the bathroom provisions of the laws, saying people in North Carolina should be allowed to use the bathroom they feel is appropriate.

Asked whether reality television star Caitlyn Jenner could use any bathroom in Trump Tower in New York City, he said "That is correct."

"North Carolina did something that was very strong," Mr Trump told ABC's The Today Show. "And they're paying a big price."
Colour me surprised. Then again, my keeping up with Donald's views has been 'He wants a wall, wants Mexico to pay for it, and seems to complain about women.'
Do note that Caitlyn has, in recent past, proposed to act as a "pro-Trump representative of trans people", or something like that. She supports Trump, btw.

I thought that was Cruz.

But wtf (and I only just heard about this, although the article is from march): http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/cover_story/2016/03/ego_depletion_an_influential_theory_in_psychology_may_have_just_been_debunked.html

A tighter border isn't racist or xenophobic, just sensible. In other words, not for matters of race or nationality, but for practical reasons.

I don't know if it's the political view of this forum or not (though I suspect that it is) but I hear the sentiment "they're racist/xenophobic" much, much more here than in RL.

The policies in themselves are not.

I mean, too much Osmosis destroys a plant cell if it doesn't have its wall to limit intake.

You can't really separate - for example - Trump's proposal for The Wall from his justifications for it (which you can hear right in his very first speech announcing his candidacy) or from his promise to deport literally all illegal aliens (and the massive infrastructure and probably stasi-like spy network that would require), and his tendency to drum up hatred against all non-white americans.

UKIP is ... I don't know, I visited their website, clicked "UKIP manifesto" and saw lots of words that said nothing meaningful, followed by a PDF download, which I didn't bother to click. vOv

Princess Leia had something to say about tyranny

Second WTF: I saw new post, hit insert quote, wrote a reply, and then realized I was still in the WTF thread, and not in one of the politics threads.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101023 on: April 21, 2016, 02:53:51 pm »

Second WTF: I saw new post, hit insert quote, wrote a reply, and then realized I was still in the WTF thread, and not in one of the politics threads.
The wtf thread has been rather boring lately, being political and all.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101024 on: April 21, 2016, 02:53:57 pm »

AAAAAcantkeepupfillingoutthisspreadsheetwithmatchpacingAAAAA
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 6733 6734 [6735] 6736 6737 ... 11040