Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6562 6563 [6564] 6565 6566 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14445786 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98445 on: March 15, 2016, 10:46:02 am »

I've been treating one of my goldfish with daily salt-baths because I thought he had a fungus on his front fins. 

Turns out he's a dude and it wasn't a fungus, it was breeding bumps.  Now I feel bad for torturing the poor guy and super-relieved that he is healthy.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98446 on: March 15, 2016, 12:10:23 pm »

I've been treating one of my goldfish with daily salt-baths because I thought he had a fungus on his front fins. 

Turns out he's a dude and it wasn't a fungus, it was breeding bumps.
I suppose cold showers don't work on goldfishes.
One wheel short of a wagon

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #98447 on: March 15, 2016, 12:17:42 pm »

Last week I decided to give Windows 10 a try. I wasn't happy with it, so I reverted back to Windows 7 yesterday. Today, I got a notification from Windows Update saying "Windows 10 is ready to install". Apparently reverting back to Win7 had reset the options of Windows Update to allow automatic updates, and Win10 had stealthily been changed to be a "recommended" update. Through some tricky file manipulation, I dodged the install and set updates not to be installed without my permission. The problem? I am not the only one this happened to.

I am now officially considering joining the Linux camp.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98448 on: March 15, 2016, 12:20:32 pm »

Last week I decided to give Windows 10 a try. I wasn't happy with it, so I reverted back to Windows 7 yesterday. Today, I got a notification from Windows Update saying "Windows 10 is ready to install". Apparently reverting back to Win7 had reset the options of Windows Update to allow automatic updates, and Win10 had stealthily been changed to be a "recommended" update. Through some tricky file manipulation, I dodged the install and set updates not to be installed without my permission. The problem? I am not the only one this happened to.

I'm a bit terrified that Windows is going to force a Win10 update on me.  I use TrueCrypt for a full disk encryption and I know its not compatible, so if it tries to update I'll lose all my files... 

I really should really back my files up just in case...

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98449 on: March 15, 2016, 01:29:13 pm »

Personally, I've been running nothing but Linux at home since 2009 or 2010. But I work as a junior sysadmin (/website manager/graphical designer/the guy who knows about computers) for a small company (a language school), and since my previous attempt to teach the teachers of English to use Ubuntu for their trivial tasks (mostly printing stuff and finding pictures on the Internet, which really isn't that OS-specific) failed because they didn't know where to click and got angry and confused, we're working entirely on Windows, mostly 7 (with a few 8s on the newer laptops).

So when I heard the news on Saturday I was like 'HOLY SHIT, I hope the update policy is configured properly" (isn't really my job, we have two full-on sysadmin guys who sit in the server room and never talk to people). Thankfully, it was.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #98450 on: March 15, 2016, 01:35:23 pm »

Please do not quote:

I'm interested in a place where they have an aptitude assessment. According to the internet (people who interviewed before), they ask:

How many golf balls can fit in the room you are in, etc. (Volume = L x W x H; Spherical volume = (4/3) (Pi) r^3. Insert Variables. Account for curvature sphere overlap (two curved surfaces against one another packed tightly) and deduct for obstacles). 

Who is the current secretary of state (John Kerry)

In a country that only wants boys, couples keep having babies until they have a boy and then stop. Having a girl will lead to another birth. What is the ratio of boys to girls.

Answer 50/50
Sexist of them, but still....
Assume 10 couples each having a baby, (50% gender probability) 5 girls, 5 boys. Half stop having babies. So far 10 children.
Those 5 couples having girls continue procreating. (50% gender probability) 2.5 girls, 2.5 boys. So far 15 children. 7.5 girls, 7.5 boys.
Those 2.5 couples having girls continue procreating. (50% gender probability) 1.75 girls, 1.75 boys. So far So far 17.5 children 8.75 girls, 8.75 boys.
Etc, etc, and so on, maintaining a 50/50 population.

Then they have a general technical knowledge section. I don't remember half that stuff because nobody uses it, even in this company. I can look up and memorize the present value of money formula but it's been years since I've applied it.

Slight groan. Plus, they say there is no room for salary negotiation and they pay low....

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98451 on: March 15, 2016, 01:37:32 pm »

The population thingy is actually relevant to some countries, or close to it, I'm guessing.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #98452 on: March 15, 2016, 01:55:57 pm »

It has occurred to me that I've never seen an anime where The Ultimate Super Attack would involve an axe kick as a finishing move.

Has anyone seen such a thing?
._.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98453 on: March 15, 2016, 02:05:31 pm »

Wow, that sons/daughter thing seems like it couldn't possibly be right...  but I guess it is!  Sons (1) is equal to expected number of daughters (0+1/2+1/4+1/8+1/16...)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #98454 on: March 15, 2016, 02:08:26 pm »

It has occurred to me that I've never seen an anime where The Ultimate Super Attack would involve an axe kick as a finishing move.

You should probably first ask if anyone has seen a taekwondo practitioner with an Ultimate Super Attack in an anime. The axe kick, while common in Korea, is rare in Japanese martial arts, so it's understandable it'd be uncommon as any move, finishing or otherwise.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98455 on: March 15, 2016, 02:12:49 pm »

Seems like the earlier I go to bed, the heavier the bags under my eyes get. As in, I look a bit sleepless after getting to sleep past twelve, but when I turn the light out at eleven, I look like I've inexpertly applied mascara.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98456 on: March 15, 2016, 02:30:50 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:12:29 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98457 on: March 15, 2016, 02:32:28 pm »

I think Luffy in One Piece might have done that a few times.

Edit:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY9Mo9CPdEM

Luffy has so many ultimate super attacks that I'm not even sure they count as super or ultimate though.  :D

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #98458 on: March 15, 2016, 02:40:15 pm »

I'm watching LSP play a fucking disney skating game on stream.

It started with kids bop music and now it's moved to fucking emo music, also talking uncircumcised penises and McDonalds product placement.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98459 on: March 15, 2016, 02:48:36 pm »

I think Luffy in One Piece might have done that a few times.

Edit:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY9Mo9CPdEM

Luffy has so many ultimate super attacks that I'm not even sure they count as super or ultimate though.  :D

Yep, and there's this one old mecha anime called red baron in which the titular mecha uses something akin to a flying axe kick as his signature finishing move.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 6562 6563 [6564] 6565 6566 ... 11040