Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6432 6433 [6434] 6435 6436 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461887 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #96495 on: February 14, 2016, 07:37:48 pm »

And the community, holy hell, skill-based matchmaking is an absolute godsend for communities.
Naaah, what's made the difference more than anything in community atmosphere between the original DotA and the derivatives that have showed up on non-WC3 engines has simply been the inability to kick/blacklist (and to an extent, talk at all to) people pre-match, as well as not having to download the map (or at least not showing it). There was absolutely nothing about WC3 AoS maps, DotA worst of all, that poisoned a game more than those features. Easily accessible mute buttons have also been blessings and a half, ha. Matchmaking's probably helped a bit, but I'd attribute platform differences and whatnot substantially more than that, m'self. Developer endeavors have also made a fair bit of difference.

Though mind, the modern AoS knockoffs generally aren't really that much better. Just better. Somewhat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #96496 on: February 14, 2016, 07:40:13 pm »

yo i'm actually willing to dispute that "AoS knockoff" thing

AoS was more like Alien Swarm or something than Dota, it was a co-op game with no abilities or nothing IIRC, starcraft wasn't really built for that

anyway, the lack of matchmaking is what made the kicking/blacklisting necessary, and unfortunately when power is necessary it tends to quickly become abused.
[PROS ONLY]

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96497 on: February 14, 2016, 07:43:32 pm »

Bah. My current WTF is hard to word without doing a forum guideline-y thingy.
Let's just say I sometimes kinda wish I was asexual. >.>   

Also I think I mentally scarred a bunch of people with my dance moves last night. Ohboy.
Oh, at least I managed to find my way home more easily than usual- once I got lost in the suburb I woke up in and spent hours trudging around with no clue where I was before finally asking some helpful soul for directions (which is even harder than usual to do when you're hungover). This time the gods themselves seemingly placed a convenient bus in front of me. It was Nice.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:45:23 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #96498 on: February 14, 2016, 07:52:36 pm »

this:
http://postimg.org/image/4lma00o55/
is the end of the world of planepacked as we know it

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #96499 on: February 14, 2016, 07:54:28 pm »

There was one posted to the subreddit earlier that had a bunch of different things admiring a shining sun, and the shining sun was screaming.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #96500 on: February 14, 2016, 08:08:10 pm »

yo i'm actually willing to dispute that "AoS knockoff" thing

AoS was more like Alien Swarm or something than Dota, it was a co-op game with no abilities or nothing IIRC, starcraft wasn't really built for that
... putnam, DotA was called an AoS. The entire genre of maps of similar game type were called AoS maps. The original AoS was indeed somewhat different and limited by SC's map engine (iirc, the dynasty warriors stuff that preceded it was a bit closer to later AoS maps, being PvP, and there were a few SC custom maps that had the same setup but PvP -- even a few with special abilities, if hella' clumsy to activate), but the progression from it to the WC3 AoS maps including DotA, its knockoffs, and the other AoS maps is... quite clear.

The original AoS map was basically DotA without abilities (or rather, the initial "abilities" was the ability to upgrade your unit, along with whatever native special bits the unit had) or PvP, with a bit of spice up on the computer side to make things more interesting. Three lanes, large amounts of minions, win/lose condition loss of buildings, player focus on individual units (heroes)... the influence is bloody clear. Alien Swarm shares very little with the original AoS map's design principles and general style, being closer to one of the survival/arena maps.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96501 on: February 14, 2016, 08:17:07 pm »

I have stories to tell of my weird night and yet the only people I can comfortably tell such stories to are either out of state or asleep. I'd most likely bore them to tears trying to tell the tale anyway... maybe I should start a journal.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #96502 on: February 14, 2016, 08:19:54 pm »

You could write a book.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #96503 on: February 14, 2016, 08:24:23 pm »

You could write a book.
This. You could always sell it as fiction.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96504 on: February 14, 2016, 08:27:10 pm »

There was one posted to the subreddit earlier that had a bunch of different things admiring a shining sun, and the shining sun was screaming.

I laughed far too hard at this. People are giving me weird looks. Someone came over to look at what it was, and that didn't help things in the least.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96505 on: February 14, 2016, 08:30:55 pm »

You could write a book.
This. You could always sell it as fiction.
That would be amusing. I could include my innermost thoughts and make the whole thing even less coherent!
I'd be like a cut-rate Irvine Welsh novel with less exciting drugs.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #96506 on: February 14, 2016, 08:41:35 pm »

don't worry, buddy, the teletubbies have got you covered
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96507 on: February 14, 2016, 08:47:55 pm »

Rick and Morty reference anyone?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #96508 on: February 14, 2016, 11:11:29 pm »

Yesterday i was like "oh good that one video i'm getting the comments on is losing steam" because the growth of the video's views was going down.

Well you know what?

TWO DATA POINTS DOES NOT MAKE A TREND TODAY IT GOT THE VIEWS OF THE PREVIOUS TWO COMBINED. God that's my most comment-attracting video too, i'm gonna have to deal with... undertale... youtube...comments... for a while. A fate i would not give anyone.

Also, even worse: this is a particular subset of the Undertale youtube fanbase I have to deal with. Secret-seekers. The people who try to dig deep into the game to find secrets.

So they'll say things that are, uh, wrong, because their fact sounds interesting or they think they can one-up me or whatever. Stuff like "kingdescription is in soundtest" (it's not).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 11:16:01 pm by Putnam »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #96509 on: February 14, 2016, 11:49:53 pm »

You did kinda set yourself up for that, though.
You can only blame yourself when your yellow hotel is beset upon by people claiming it's painted orange.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 6432 6433 [6434] 6435 6436 ... 11040