Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5936 5937 [5938] 5939 5940 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471232 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #89055 on: November 01, 2015, 07:42:40 am »

huh

that is a surprisingly curvaceous landscape

That landscape is an affront to christian dignity. I demand it be covered with stone pants.

When an Uncanny Valley becomes a... literal valley...

I'm at my mom's Ex's place. Like every other weekend.

My mom went to a friend's birthday party. Her ex texted her, telling her not to come back.

I am at my mom's Ex's place.
Do you need gunship support? I don't have any idea how, but I'm sure I can get you some gunship support.

But seriously, isn't this the same douchebag from before? Why is your mother leaving you alone with him?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #89056 on: November 01, 2015, 07:52:11 am »

Man, I always assumed waif came out of a contraction of wafer.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #89057 on: November 01, 2015, 07:54:18 am »

I remembered a movie I saw a few months back. In the movie, there was an arc where a dog had a big secret: he only liked cats. (As playmates; this was a family movie) One of the main characters tried to find a cat to play with him, but they all refused on the grounds of him being a dog. So she decided to disguise a dog as a cat by painting some stripes on him and pointed him to play with the first dog. They had lots of fun, until rain dissolved the paint and revealed the cat-dog's identity. The main character pointed out that they had become fast friends regardless of their species. So they kept on playing with each other, happily ever after.

I'm not so sure what the moral here is supposed to be. I see the allegory of homosexuality, but isn't this the equivalent of a woman dressing up and dating a gay man, only to later on reveal she doesn't have a penis?

Quite possibly racism, rather than homosexuality., in which case it makes marginally more sense.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #89058 on: November 01, 2015, 08:19:23 am »

I remembered a movie I saw a few months back. In the movie, there was an arc where a dog had a big secret: he only liked cats. (As playmates; this was a family movie) One of the main characters tried to find a cat to play with him, but they all refused on the grounds of him being a dog. So she decided to disguise a dog as a cat by painting some stripes on him and pointed him to play with the first dog. They had lots of fun, until rain dissolved the paint and revealed the cat-dog's identity. The main character pointed out that they had become fast friends regardless of their species. So they kept on playing with each other, happily ever after.

I'm not so sure what the moral here is supposed to be. I see the allegory of homosexuality, but isn't this the equivalent of a woman dressing up and dating a gay man, only to later on reveal she doesn't have a penis?

Friendship makes it a whole lot different from partner-ship.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89059 on: November 01, 2015, 09:44:27 am »

What? It just sounds like a race allegory. Like if a Klan member discovered their best friend had black ancestry or something. There's a similar moral in the web cartoon series "There she is" (highly worth checking out). The dynamic there is that Person Type A must not date Person Type B: the dominant culture asserts that A's must date A's, and B's must date B's. This is the logic of racial segregation. It's only applicable to same sex relationships in the idea of a non-sanctioned relationship, not in the actual mechanics of the relationship.

As soon as you say e.g. the dog represents women and the cats represent men, then you have huge problems making the analogy make any sense at all. that is clear in how you had to say that "cats represent gay men", and the dog represents a "female-to-male transgender" who tricked the gay man into dating her. And the moral is therefore that gay men should try dating women, they might like it xD OMG - not a "PC" sentiment at all. This is sooooo unbelievably convoluted that basically nobody would interpret things like that, meaning that's not the message people are getting from the film.

So, by interpreting it as a race allegory, it's straightforward (race A and race B), and symmetrical, whereas interpreting it as a sexuality allegory leads to bizarre mental contortions, such as the cats represent only gay males and the dogs represent all women, or perhaps just lesbian women, because it was taboo that they played with the cats (men) at all. And the specific dog in question was a FtM transman who rejected lesbianism and only wants to date gay men.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:15:13 am by Reelya »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #89060 on: November 01, 2015, 10:32:23 am »

I think I see what you mean. Thing is, the sentence the dog used when confessing his love of cats was one normally used when talking about sexual orientation, at least in the language the movie was in. But yeah, it works better if we look at race rather than sexuality.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89061 on: November 01, 2015, 10:47:20 am »

Why are we talking about this, btw?
One wheel short of a wagon

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #89062 on: November 01, 2015, 10:49:21 am »

Why are we talking about this, btw?

Because IcyTea saw a movie and it made him WTF?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #89063 on: November 01, 2015, 10:49:39 am »

Because a random memory of a movie made me go WTF today, as per the thread title.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89064 on: November 01, 2015, 12:54:41 pm »

Quite possibly racism, rather than homosexuality., in which case it makes marginally more sense.

I'd say it's more about homosexuality. If we look at it from the racism perspective the story is even worse.
It's be about a white guy who only likes to interract with black people... and black people don't want to have anything to do with him.
And then the white guy falls for a white person wearing black bodypaint...

Yeah not the most convincing story if you ask me.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #89065 on: November 01, 2015, 12:56:58 pm »

I'd say it's more about homosexuality. If we look at it from the racism perspective the story is even worse.
It's be about a white guy who only likes to interract with black people... and black people don't want to have anything to do with him.

Try looking at it from the other perspective. That way, it's merely disturbing, not detached from reality.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89066 on: November 01, 2015, 01:08:49 pm »

Try looking at it from the other perspective. That way, it's merely disturbing, not detached from reality.
A black guy who hates black people and wants to associate only with whites?
JK

Seriously tho things like fag hags exist you know.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fag_hag
And the off chance that someone goes from homo to bi is not that impossible.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #89067 on: November 01, 2015, 01:10:37 pm »

JK

You may be joking, but...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89068 on: November 01, 2015, 01:16:07 pm »

Wow, looking through Bulbapedia, found the list of words that prevent Pokemon being traded. Not going to link it, because that's some serious foul language. Because of this list, some Pokemon such as Nosepass and Froslass(both contain "ass") cannot be traded without changing their name.

Because it's Bulbapedia, that means people had to go through and look for every single one of these. And in multiple languages.

JK

You may be joking, but...
Here we go.
(note, it's Dave Chappelle)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89069 on: November 01, 2015, 01:33:03 pm »

I've seen that list and I think it might be wrong. Namely, there's some supposedly banned words which contain other supposedly banned words. So chances are it's only the shorter one.
e.g. gobshite contains "shit" so probably isn't individually blocked.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 5936 5937 [5938] 5939 5940 ... 11037