Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5774 5775 [5776] 5777 5778 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14467712 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #86625 on: September 25, 2015, 06:55:57 pm »

"Cyberviolence" is a term that should not exist. Seriously, fuck whoever thinks "Someone was mean on the internet" is violence. I don't give a fuck who it's directed at - anything that does not involve direct physical harm cannot be considered violence by any reasonable person under any circumstances.

No. Psychological harm is just as bad as physical harm. Pretending bullying of any kind does not result in psychological harm is ridiculous. Sticks and stones is childish nonsense - nobody with any understanding of basic human psychology would argue anything else.

Psychological harm is harmful. But there's a big difference between being in an emotionally abusive relationship or seeing a close friend or family member get shot or being deprived of sleep by interrogators or something like that, and having some stupid kid make fun of you, even if the do it constantly.

EDIT:
Now, in the specific case of if someone is spreading rumors about you - that's libel, and it does not require some special new redundant designation.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 07:00:24 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #86626 on: September 25, 2015, 06:57:32 pm »

While watching Youtube, unplugging my USB headset will force it to reload the video (at the same playback position) in the old-school Flash player. It's a little bit annoying, but more bizarre than anything.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86627 on: September 25, 2015, 07:05:18 pm »

Dude, you can't first go "only physical violence matters" and then right afterwards go "women don't need special protection" when, if only physical violence matters, the average man is literally built to take more violence than the average woman. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Someone being more physically capable doesn't mean being subject to physically violence any less severe.
Someone doesn't (or at least shouldn't) get a reduced sentence if the person they were hitting was swole, bro.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #86628 on: September 25, 2015, 07:06:48 pm »

Watching old reruns on the Game Show Network is like stepping into some alien culture.  I don't see how anyone could get excited over the possibility of winning a pinto stationwagon.
... some of us like station wagons. S'actually just about my favorite sort of car from a functionality standpoint -- small enough to not be cumbersome and still enough space you can easily carry most of a single person's general living supplies with them on a move, while usually managing better gas mileage and whatnot than most other stuff that can manage the latter (and usually failing on the oversized metric in the process, to boot). It's just one of the better vehicle designs from a workability standpoint.

Just have to paint it purple and y'can call it a day. They're good cars. I'd be relatively cheery about a chance to win a pinto -- prefer something a bit newer, but still. Been driving a '95 model station wagon for the last eight years or so. Good order replacement would be nice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86629 on: September 25, 2015, 07:14:30 pm »

Dude, you can't first go "only physical violence matters" and then right afterwards go "women don't need special protection" when, if only physical violence matters, the average man is literally built to take more violence than the average woman. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Someone being more physically capable doesn't mean being subject to physically violence any less severe.

Uhhhhhhh... I hate to say this but unfortunately not. Especially if the person defends themselves (because "Respond with equal force" is the specific wording.)

But that is more case study or how things go in court.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #86630 on: September 25, 2015, 07:22:32 pm »

Swindling the goddamn UN into saying this shit is a slap in the face (no pun intended) to actual victims of violence.

Also, fuck whoever thinks "women and girls" (another "I'll save you, m'lady"ism that should be metaphorically euthanized) need special protection. Fuck whoever thinks men don't suffer from violence. Fuck whoever thinks men don't suffer the majority of real and "cyber" violence in this world. Fuck this code of chivalry bullshit that drives people to think "What about m'lady" 99% of the fuckshitchrist time.

The fact that this wound up before the UN, in my conspiratorial mind, is part of the usual thing where third-world countries with shitty human rights records take advantage of minor problems in Western countries to go after them for "human rights violations".

I think you just proved that the NRA is progressive
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #86631 on: September 25, 2015, 07:29:21 pm »

I will always have an utter sympathy for male victims... Because there is such a learned helplessness with men that is outright taught an enforced by society.
Whenever they speak up it isn't a question as to whether or not they "deserved it" but rather that a man is pathetic for even seeking help.
At least I can state sympathy for them, since frankly no one else does. At least it is changing very slowly.
How is it helplessness if you fix everything on your own?

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86632 on: September 25, 2015, 07:30:27 pm »

Swindling the goddamn UN into saying this shit is a slap in the face (no pun intended) to actual victims of violence.

Also, fuck whoever thinks "women and girls" (another "I'll save you, m'lady"ism that should be metaphorically euthanized) need special protection. Fuck whoever thinks men don't suffer from violence. Fuck whoever thinks men don't suffer the majority of real and "cyber" violence in this world. Fuck this code of chivalry bullshit that drives people to think "What about m'lady" 99% of the fuckshitchrist time.

The fact that this wound up before the UN, in my conspiratorial mind, is part of the usual thing where third-world countries with shitty human rights records take advantage of minor problems in Western countries to go after them for "human rights violations".

I think you just proved that the NRA is progressive
10/10
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86633 on: September 25, 2015, 07:32:30 pm »

I will always have an utter sympathy for male victims... Because there is such a learned helplessness with men that is outright taught an enforced by society.
Whenever they speak up it isn't a question as to whether or not they "deserved it" but rather that a man is pathetic for even seeking help.
At least I can state sympathy for them, since frankly no one else does. At least it is changing very slowly.
How is it helplessness if you fix everything on your own?

Because unlike societal expectations... Men don't actually have a solution to everything nor do they respond with situations with violence or extreme stoicism. They just believe that men do.

So they cannot ask for help nor can they actually solve their problems. Learned Helplessness.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #86634 on: September 25, 2015, 07:38:49 pm »

Imma just keep my damn mouth shut. >_>

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #86635 on: September 25, 2015, 07:39:10 pm »

Yeah, but I'd be willing to bet that that didn't have the explicit support of a branch of the UN devoted to human rights.
This is why people don't ratify the UN's human rights

I'm not sure what gets me more about these anti-intellectual hugboxers that pretend to be feminists, the hypocrisy of flipping between "strong independent women" and "spun-glass fragile children women" depending on which narrative suits them, or the way they've slotted so neatly into the existing coalition of conservative fearmongers re: new media and old & meaningless PC idiots. It's like the perfect storm of censorship.
I warned you bro
It keeps happening
It's really weird how some who adopt the progressive label most fervently are so authoritarian, as if freedom of speech is something that can be thrown away in exchange for meaningless rites and rewards

I mean, it's already been repeatedly mentioned, but the statistics they used were heavily manipulated, and they're trivializing real abuse by equating it to having someone disagree with you on the internet! I think the original row about cyberbullying was a tad silly, but at least that was trying to cope with sensitive kids who killed themselves because people harassed them online instead of in person!
Tbh even making a distinction between harassing irl and online was counterproductive, harassment should be harassment

Because unlike societal expectations... Men don't actually have a solution to everything nor do they respond with situations with violence or extreme stoicism. They just believe that men do.
So they cannot ask for help nor can they actually solve their problems. Learned Helplessness.
Who has ever had the option to get solutions from society? No one ever has solutions to problems to start with, if they did they wouldn't be problems
Stoicism is not extreme, it just is - and it's not even as good as just pragmatism and will

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #86636 on: September 25, 2015, 07:42:23 pm »

Dammit not this again
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86637 on: September 25, 2015, 07:54:47 pm »

Tbh even making a distinction between harassing irl and online was counterproductive, harassment should be harassment

The problem is, that the real life equivalent is just someone calling another person a dick.

That isn't bullying.

Yet they are making the online version of that into cyberbullying... because it is worse if it is online somehow.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #86638 on: September 25, 2015, 08:02:07 pm »

"Cyberviolence" is a term that should not exist. Seriously, fuck whoever thinks "Someone was mean on the internet" is violence. I don't give a fuck who it's directed at - anything that does not involve direct physical harm cannot be considered violence by any reasonable person under any circumstances.

No. Psychological harm is just as bad as physical harm. Pretending bullying of any kind does not result in psychological harm is ridiculous. Sticks and stones is childish nonsense - nobody with any understanding of basic human psychology would argue anything else.

Psychological harm is harmful. But there's a big difference between being in an emotionally abusive relationship or seeing a close friend or family member get shot or being deprived of sleep by interrogators or something like that, and having some stupid kid make fun of you, even if the do it constantly.

Bullying activates pretty much the exact same mechanisms as psychological torture, so yes, it pretty much does. Saying that psychological and social bullying is "just some kid being mean to you" is very comparable to saying "psychological torture is just some guy being mean to you". Don't be such a pussy, dude! Man up.

Someone doesn't (or at least shouldn't) get a reduced sentence if the person they were hitting was swole, bro.

Well duh. How fortunate then that I wasn't in any way saying that it should.

The problem is, that the real life equivalent is just someone calling another person a dick.

That isn't bullying.

Yet they are making the online version of that into cyberbullying... because it is worse if it is online somehow.

No, that's not what anyone is saying. "Cyberbullying" is always about bullies using the internet to continue the bullying, or in the case of people like Sarkeesian, guilty of the horrible crime of having an unpopular opinion on the internet, a large group of people repeatedly shouting "you're a worthless whore and should go kill yourself before I go to [your actual home address because you've been doxed] and rape you to death".
Love, scriver~

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #86639 on: September 25, 2015, 08:02:52 pm »

While watching Youtube, unplugging my USB headset will force it to reload the video (at the same playback position) in the old-school Flash player. It's a little bit annoying, but more bizarre than anything.

you need a microphone plugged in to one of those old round jacks to launch star wars battlefront 2 on PC

game maker games (or at least Undertale) can crash if you plug in a microphone
Pages: 1 ... 5774 5775 [5776] 5777 5778 ... 11037