Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5597 5598 [5599] 5600 5601 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14463860 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #83970 on: August 24, 2015, 08:14:57 pm »

No need for the :[, the storms are about the only good thing weather wise that ever happens in this state.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #83971 on: August 24, 2015, 08:17:22 pm »

Kills sailors 10 times dead

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83972 on: August 24, 2015, 08:18:55 pm »

So does the heat, and much slower.

E: Seriously though, the storms don't really worry too many people down here. The deadly ones are rare, massively telegraphed, and largely easy to avoid if you don't feel like just battening down and pretty often easily survivable even if you don't. The rest of them are just a temporary relief from the heat. The heat that basically never goes away, never stops, kills your children, your grandparents, your pets, your plants, your car exterior, more or less everything. Fuck the heat, fuck the sun, bring the rain, praise the storm.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:24:54 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #83973 on: August 24, 2015, 08:25:11 pm »

OW is right.
I will treasure this approval.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #83974 on: August 24, 2015, 08:28:17 pm »

pretty often easily survivable even if you don't. The rest of them are just a temporary relief from the heat. The heat that basically never goes away, never stops, kills your children, your grandparents, your pets, your plants, your car exterior, more or less everything. Fuck the heat, fuck the sun, bring the rain, praise the storm.
I love human arrogance, homo sapiens best species, praise the storm ice age now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83975 on: August 24, 2015, 08:31:54 pm »

Yeah yeah, call it arrogance, come live here for a few decades and see how worried you are about the occasional hurricane compared to the incessant unending low boil that is florida air. Got nothing to do with homo sapiens being worth a damn and everything to do with this goddamn swamp being the meteorological equivalent of hell on earth to the extent city destroying death storms are a relief.
Ask not!
Ask!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #83976 on: August 24, 2015, 09:11:00 pm »

I'm not even being sarcastic, nature can try her best she'll never kill us all

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #83977 on: August 24, 2015, 09:23:27 pm »

Yeah yeah, call it arrogance, come live here for a few decades and see how worried you are about the occasional hurricane compared to the incessant unending low boil that is florida air. Got nothing to do with homo sapiens being worth a damn and everything to do with this goddamn swamp being the meteorological equivalent of hell on earth to the extent city destroying death storms are a relief.
Hurricanes kill fewer people than mosquitoes, you've got the right idea friend.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #83978 on: August 24, 2015, 09:30:52 pm »

Hurricanes kill fewer people than mosquitoes, you've got the right idea friend.

We have developed evacuation plans and protection against hurricanes nearly everywhere, but mosquitos are plentiful and prey upon the developing. Compare death by hurricane and death by mosquito in Florida so we'll see the true power of nature.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83979 on: August 24, 2015, 09:44:30 pm »

I don't even live near the everglades and the mosquitoes are a bane on all life.   I feel sorry for all the poor saps living in the "real" florida.

And yea, really any hurricanes here lower than cat 5 are nothing to us.  It's like earthquakes in California.  The structures here are made to stand against the wind, and rain. Even a good chunk of the native trees have evolved to survive hurricanes undamaged.  Really the biggest danger is flying stuff, and all the responsible folks will bring dangerous flight capable objects inside, and board up windows to protect against dangerous flight capable stuff left out by the less responsible.

The real danger of a hurricane?   All the stagnant standing water left over in buckets and tires and crap that make...guess what?  More damn mosquitoes.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:52:02 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #83980 on: August 24, 2015, 09:51:24 pm »

I don't even live near the everglades and the mosquitoes are a bane on all life.   I feel sorry for all the poor saps living in the "real" florida.
Do those mosquitoes carry malaria, chikungunya, dengue or are just huge fuckers about as big as a nail that love to try and enter your nose or ear while you sleep? Because if not, they are nothing compared to the horrors I have to fight every single fucking day.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83981 on: August 24, 2015, 09:59:11 pm »

For what it's worth, hurricanes have killed a bit over ten thousand in florida since some point in the 1800s, most of it happening before ~1941 (we lost like ~3k in '28, ferex, and thousand+ casualty storms weren't exactly unknown before then). About 300 total since 1950 (A bit over 5 per year, averaged out over the period), which should tell you how much better we're at dealing with them at this point.

Some numbers I've been able to find strictly detailing temperature related deaths was a bit over fifty between '05-'09, or about ten per year -- twice as deadly as the hurricanes have managed, and from what I could tell that was excluding fatalities that came about due to work-related exertion. Some better numbers, showed nearly as many heat deaths as those hurricanes in a time span about half of the above mentioned time... and again, is likely to be underreporting. Like I said, florida is not terribly worried about the storms, at least not anymore.

... oddly enough, it's apparently a complete PitA to find kill numbers on mosquitoes, especially specific to a state. They don't actually seem to be doing much death wise in the US, though.

And yes, teneb. They're all of those.

E: Though, for what it's worth, vehicle related fatalities kill more than all of those combined, fairly handily. So, uh. Yeah.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:03:44 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83982 on: August 24, 2015, 10:04:18 pm »

I think it's because the death numbers are more linked to the carried diseases than the mosquitoes themselves.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83983 on: August 24, 2015, 10:05:36 pm »

Seems to be, but google-fu was failing even that. Admittedly I seriously don't care enough to keep looking, because while mosquitoes are annoying they're usually not terribly debilitating (unlike death heat or killing wind), but still.
Ask not!
Ask!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83984 on: August 24, 2015, 10:21:55 pm »

Ack. Just woke in cold sweats from a giant-lamprey-horror dream.

Which was odd. Used to be a thing which got to me. Now, far as I remember it, I was pretty chill about the whole process.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 5597 5598 [5599] 5600 5601 ... 11040