Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5527 5528 [5529] 5530 5531 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14453363 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #82920 on: August 10, 2015, 06:10:43 pm »

Is that worrying because people could have found it by looking at the page source, or is there some other web developer reason why that's terrible?
The former. Also, maybe the latter, but I don't actually know things about web development. So while I don't know about any, that proves nothing.

Could be the use of similar or the same software! I've only looked at two different universities so far. In any case, presumably these days you can't find final exam answer keys (I assume from previous semesters, since I don't think professors have ever worked that far ahead) this way.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82921 on: August 10, 2015, 06:50:39 pm »

I feel so bored I'm thinking about playing some of the most boring games there are, like Dungeon "click on things until they die" Siege. It's like I've entered a boring feedback loop.
._.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82922 on: August 10, 2015, 07:59:22 pm »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #82923 on: August 10, 2015, 08:10:12 pm »

Mostly ninja'd but hey.  I like raw spinach leaves as a calorie-free snack food.  Kale is good too.  Never liked iceberg lettuce, raw onions, or creamy salad dressings...  But there's something simple and comforting about munching raw leaves.

Cats actually eat a little grass to help their digestion!  Dunno if spinach counts for that though.  It was funny to watch her viciously nom at the blades until her pointy predator teeth finally cut them.  I think most "indoor" cat foods have supplements for that.
Couple of late notes, but:
1) We don't actually know why cats like to eat grass. :P As best as we can tell it doesn't have any real digestive benefits, nor do they really get anything out of it. The only effect it seems to have is to encourage vomiting. (Doesn't stop companies from trying to sell you cat grass though).
2) Note about kale, but don't eat raw kale. Kale, (along with a handful of other plants like brussel sprouts) is a goitrogenic vegetable. That means that when eaten raw it has a handful of bad effects, like inhibiting iodine processing in your thyroid glands, and playing absolute hell with your liver and kidneys resulting in kidney stones. The solution to this is rather simple, before eating kale boil it for about seven minutes, drain, and squeeze any excess water out. That reduces the amount of goitrogens by about 90%, while still keeping the vast majority of the healthy vitamins and minerals that it contains!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #82924 on: August 10, 2015, 08:47:20 pm »

... y'know, I had never heard of a merkin before today. Now I know crotch wigs have a name.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #82925 on: August 10, 2015, 09:23:38 pm »

My WTF for today is that I wasn't surprised to learn crotch wigs were a thing.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #82926 on: August 10, 2015, 09:42:40 pm »

jesus christ spore saves procedural music as .png files

you are looking at a song file
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:46:07 pm by Putnam »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82927 on: August 10, 2015, 09:45:34 pm »

Unfortunately, I cannot read music.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #82928 on: August 10, 2015, 09:45:53 pm »

apparently spore can

because that is what spore saves and loads the song as

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #82929 on: August 10, 2015, 09:55:06 pm »

jesus christ spore saves procedural music as .png files

you are looking at a song file
Wuh. What, like reading music notes? In an image file? That seems like a weird way to handle reading data.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #82930 on: August 10, 2015, 09:57:58 pm »

oh, spore saves all its data that way

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #82931 on: August 10, 2015, 10:03:23 pm »

That's equal parts weird, ingenious, and horrifying.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #82932 on: August 10, 2015, 10:07:41 pm »

It made it really easy to share things. One of the cooler parts of Spore.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82933 on: August 10, 2015, 10:13:29 pm »

Wow so...  The actual information is compressed into image metadata, right?  That would make it useful and not particularly inefficient.  Pretty smart really.
Edit: Like, it's technically an image, but really it's data attached to a thumbnail.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #82934 on: August 10, 2015, 10:34:19 pm »

Wow so...  The actual information is compressed into image metadata, right?  That would make it useful and not particularly inefficient.  Pretty smart really.
Edit: Like, it's technically an image, but really it's data attached to a thumbnail.
It's actually rather more clever, apparently.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 5527 5528 [5529] 5530 5531 ... 11040