Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5523 5524 [5525] 5526 5527 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14457459 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #82860 on: August 08, 2015, 01:59:39 am »

Tugged on the skin in front of my Adam's apple.  I don't know why I did that but I am now very uncomfortable.

Aagh, goddammit, I tried it without thinking. Why was that so terrible?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #82861 on: August 08, 2015, 02:02:21 am »

That did nothing.
Then again I'm not even sure where the thing is so eh.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #82862 on: August 08, 2015, 02:10:11 am »

Finally got around to toying around with modding again, only to remember that I have no idea what I want out of the game. Randomly chasing ideas that half-work at best, and there's half-assed shit everywhere.

my life

why do you think most of my mods are based on existing intellectual properties

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82863 on: August 08, 2015, 02:22:06 am »

So am I the ONLY person who knows that the "Unedited vocals" of concerts are not a good indication of singing ability?

There seems to be this trend where people post this as evidence that several people can't sing. In spite the fact that for the most part these vocals are just them singing to the timing of lip synching or singing with a full knowledge of how it sounds with the effects coming through OR with half-lip synching.

Or rather it is the equivalent of proving that Leonardo Devinchii cannot draw by showing the paper he used to clean his brushes or perhaps the rough sketches he created before working on the drawing proper.

Though I guess more telling is that some of the time... They are actually pretty fine anyway. It is often clear a few of them can sing but aren't really in the position to. Like they sound EXACTLY like they are on the CDs but without all the special effects... unlike a few artists who need quite a bit of auto-tune.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #82864 on: August 08, 2015, 02:32:51 am »

Auto-tune is like hiring a professional artist to paint for you (but it ends up worse because the professional artist is actually a robot). Cleaning brushes and making sketches is more like starting a line again when you mess up.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82865 on: August 08, 2015, 02:34:40 am »

Auto-tune is like hiring a professional artist to paint for you (but it ends up worse because the professional artist is actually a robot). Cleaning brushes and making sketches is more like starting a line again when you mess up.

The "Unedited Vocals" are just named that. They are usually, the vast majority of the time, what the microphone is picking up while the artist is lip synching.

It should be extremely obvious because it doesn't matter how well you edit someone's vocals if they don't even do a note, it cannot invent one.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #82866 on: August 08, 2015, 03:01:28 am »

Auto-tune is like hiring a professional artist to paint for you (but it ends up worse because the professional artist is actually a robot).

or it's like being piet mondrian

it's often used for stylistic effect; see T-pain (who can most definitely sing)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #82867 on: August 08, 2015, 03:55:15 am »

You can get some very cool-sounding songs with voice manipulation.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82868 on: August 08, 2015, 06:17:14 am »

Finally got around to toying around with modding again, only to remember that I have no idea what I want out of the game. Randomly chasing ideas that half-work at best, and there's half-assed shit everywhere.
Oh yeah that's how I would characterize my foray into DF modding, too. I gave up after I realize that I couldn't replicate the precise balance I wanted. DF combat mechanics are pretty hard to mold into specific shape.

At least I've managed to discover than all basic combat values on weapons were completely off the scale. I think that helped someone else in creating a better weapons mod.
._.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #82869 on: August 08, 2015, 01:37:01 pm »

... this ruddy game. Emerald Dragon. I guess it's somewhat forgivable considering it's an old SNES game, but... game designers. I just want to tell you lot that, after about the second or third time you murder off team members in relatively rapid succession, it starts losing its impact.

Warning walking dead spoilers I guess

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #82870 on: August 08, 2015, 08:25:14 pm »

Today's been kinda weird. Weather started off raining. Then it stopped raining and started snowing. Then it stopped snowing and the sun came out for about an hour. Then the wind picked up and it started hailing. Then the hail and wind stopped.
Also, the hot water cylinder for the kitchen appears to be borked. I can wash stuff in the laundry or whatever, so it's not crippling, but I have no idea what happened with it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #82871 on: August 09, 2015, 02:40:47 am »

Oh yeah that's how I would characterize my foray into DF modding, too. I gave up after I realize that I couldn't replicate the precise balance I wanted. DF combat mechanics are pretty hard to mold into specific shape.

At least I've managed to discover than all basic combat values on weapons were completely off the scale. I think that helped someone else in creating a better weapons mod.

Man, you mean you never tried adding in every conceivable alcoholic beverage and their base ingredient so that your lil' beardies could live lives of thoroughly diverse experiences? That's even more fun than making overpowered races of invaders.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #82872 on: August 09, 2015, 03:07:39 am »

I complained a while back about the amount of character death being exaggerated in a particular series (since nobody IMPORTANT ever really dies)

but then i realized

i think this is... ALWAYS a problem in series where named people die???

I mean, people recognize Ensign Ricky for what he is when he dies, but I guess enough incidental-yet-named characters being killed off overwhelms the redshirt sense?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #82873 on: August 09, 2015, 06:49:37 am »

What about from Game of Thrones?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82874 on: August 09, 2015, 07:05:38 am »

I complained a while back about the amount of character death being exaggerated in a particular series (since nobody IMPORTANT ever really dies)

but then i realized

i think this is... ALWAYS a problem in series where named people die???

I mean, people recognize Ensign Ricky for what he is when he dies, but I guess enough incidental-yet-named characters being killed off overwhelms the redshirt sense?
The walking dead games feel that way for me. 
Spoiler incase you haven't played and want to:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 5523 5524 [5525] 5526 5527 ... 11040