Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5392 5393 [5394] 5395 5396 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14455952 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #80895 on: July 15, 2015, 12:51:39 pm »

holy shit i wasn't the only one to which it happened joy of joys

chrome doesn't do that fyi

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #80896 on: July 15, 2015, 01:00:59 pm »

*snip*

Crowd-funded game. Wanted $5k, got $7k.

With such a low price, my guess is they feel they can make a killing because the cost of development was so low.

The game is so retro it hurts. Even the sfx are 100% retro. This seems like the kind of game I would have rented for my Nintendo back in the day, got a few hours of entertainment from, then forgotten about.

Really seems like a piece of retro 'art' that's very overpriced. Gameplay looks like Castlevania + a little inventory and itemization on top.

I think we're starting to get to the point in gaming where...within a certain price range, nothing makes sense. You can have a game with hundreds of hours of replayability cost the same or less than a one-shot, 4 hour nostalgia trip.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80897 on: July 15, 2015, 01:04:09 pm »

This game: Odallus, the Dark call....

Welcome to the age of post 2010 8-bit indie games, in which they make uninspired copies of 8-bit castlevania games and rake in the monies from nostalgia-lord type gamerpeoples.
The whole "retro plataformers" trend has gotten old since last thursday. Granted, there are a few legitimate good titles, like Shovel Knight, but many of them are just lazily put togheder and thrown at people for free money.

EDIT: o hey, I tested that dreamscope thing and got some interesting results. But it doesnt seem to work too well on images that are already trippy or monochrome.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 01:15:32 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #80898 on: July 15, 2015, 01:10:49 pm »

I don't want to denigrate it just because it's retro. It doesn't look like a straight cash grab, it is clearly a love letter to platformers of old like Ninja Gaiden (the cutscenes are a dead give away) and Demon Quest.

So I think it has some artistic merit.

As far as the price....I think we're starting to see the realization from indie developers that the price will go to practically zero if succumb to market pressures. So I think there's a growing movement to pick a price, even if that price seems stupid, and stay with it, rather than basically bottom dollaring yourself and still ending up broke anyways.

Anyways, from our end, the problem is there are so many indie devs trying to write these 8-bit love letters, they've missed the memo that it's been done, over and over over again already and people are weary of them.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 01:23:57 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #80899 on: July 15, 2015, 01:15:20 pm »

Granted, there are a few legitimate good titles, like Shovel Knight, but many of them are just lazily put togheder and thrown at people for free money.
... in other words pretty much on par with how the entire gaming industry has been for the last three decades or so :V

Which is to say more or less ever. Why people keep getting this weird idea that things were better in the 80s and 90s when it came to gaming I just can't quite grasp. I mean, I know intellectually it's because of filtering and memory and whatnot, but it's just so hard to feel that same sort of weirdly misplaced... indignation? Something along those lines. I was there for the 90s of gaming and onwards. I remember the extent shovelware was around pretty well. Things... haven't really changed, in regards to general ratios of junk to jewel...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80900 on: July 15, 2015, 01:17:52 pm »

Well obviously a lot of the cheer old games get is due to rose tinted glasses and nostalgia, but considering the time some of those games were released, they were legitimally good, back then. This is why old ninja gaiden games are considered good, but new games that just copy its formula and dont add anything to it under the guise of being "retro" are pretty shady, IMO.

EDIT: O jeez, this dreamscope thing makes Ishihara look even more glorious.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 01:27:50 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80901 on: July 15, 2015, 01:21:58 pm »

i have a girlfriend now

how the fuck does this occur

am i going to get reed at

so many questions
It might be the overall balance of things - I just broke up with mine.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #80902 on: July 15, 2015, 01:31:48 pm »

It's the selection bias inherent in any nostalgia. Film buffs will wax poetic about the film noir or Western genres, without remembering all the truly shitty movies in those genres which have been forgotten.

For every Magnificent Seven, there were ten pieces of unwatchable drek like Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter or Billy the Kid Versus Dracula or The Terror of Tiny Town, the first and only all-midget Western musical. (And yes, those are ALL real movies.)

There were plenty of crappy 80's games. I owned several -- Raid over Moscow (first game I ever bought) and Super Huey II come to mind.
But because the industry was still young, there was still so much room for new ideas. The industry has matured now, and so creativity tends to be either in refinement of existing formulas or truly avant-garde "art" games.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80903 on: July 15, 2015, 01:47:14 pm »

Wow. That dreamscope filter made my villain face even more villainous!

I used the "Trippy" setting.

Before
After

Gonna try machine elves and inceptionist next

Dare I try the others?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 01:49:10 pm by wierd »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #80904 on: July 15, 2015, 01:54:31 pm »

It's the selection bias inherent in any nostalgia. Film buffs will wax poetic about the film noir or Western genres, without remembering all the truly shitty movies in those genres which have been forgotten.

For every Magnificent Seven, there were ten pieces of unwatchable drek like Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter or Billy the Kid Versus Dracula or The Terror of Tiny Town, the first and only all-midget Western musical. (And yes, those are ALL real movies.)

There were plenty of crappy 80's games. I owned several -- Raid over Moscow (first game I ever bought) and Super Huey II come to mind.
But because the industry was still young, there was still so much room for new ideas. The industry has matured now, and so creativity tends to be either in refinement of existing formulas or truly avant-garde "art" games.
Also now people don't nessesarily need to make it for the nintendoconsole/atariconsole/particularcomputermodel. They just make the thing and throw it at the internet, and sometimes also Steam/Humble/etc, so theres a lot more visible crap if you go looking for some.

or they throw the idea at KS first, then internet/Steam.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80905 on: July 15, 2015, 01:55:45 pm »

Talking of games, started playing Toribash right now. Original concept, in that no fighting gem, fight or game in general that I've ever seen has much of a resemblance to it. Except Drunken Wrestlers, perhaps.
One wheel short of a wagon

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80906 on: July 15, 2015, 01:59:30 pm »

Toribash is pretty great, I forgot it got on steam now, I should go back to it.

I still remember when it was played by 4k people tops and I got to rank 10 or something :v

Didn't we have a toribash thread somewhere, by the way? Cant seem to find it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #80907 on: July 15, 2015, 02:02:12 pm »

Wow. That dreamscope filter made my villain face even more villainous!

I used the "Trippy" setting.

Before
After

Gonna try machine elves and inceptionist next

Dare I try the others?

I appear to be 2pretty for the demonic filter to make me look superdemonic.

As far as the price....I think we're starting to see the realization from indie developers that the price will go to practically zero if succumb to market pressures. So I think there's a growing movement to pick a price, even if that price seems stupid, and stay with it, rather than basically bottom dollaring yourself and still ending up broke anyways.

It seems worse to set a really high price and end up broke because no-one bought your game, though. I suppose the system will tune itself eventually.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #80908 on: July 15, 2015, 02:02:54 pm »

Oh god. Somebody record a Toribash Match, and then throw it through the Deep Dream code.
Spastic flailing of a really bad drug trip will result.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #80909 on: July 15, 2015, 02:07:40 pm »

Toribash is pretty great, I forgot it got on steam now, I should go back to it.

I still remember when it was played by 4k people tops and I got to rank 10 or something :v

Didn't we have a toribash thread somewhere, by the way? Cant seem to find it.
Aye, we do. Was it in PWYB?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 5392 5393 [5394] 5395 5396 ... 11040