Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5268 5269 [5270] 5271 5272 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14488740 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #79035 on: June 15, 2015, 01:05:36 pm »

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:18:03 pm by penguinofhonor »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79036 on: June 15, 2015, 01:06:40 pm »

LOLOLOL

Way to expound to absurdity there, PoH!

RE: religious guy thinks he is PERSONALLY necessary for christ's return

So, you want some poor schlub to think that he is the antichrist, and that he HAS to be wounded in the head and plot world domination, in order for christ to be able to return, or some similarly high profile event?

That sounds like the plot for a really bad horror movie.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:14:42 pm by wierd »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79037 on: June 15, 2015, 01:13:47 pm »

It's not on the same scale as "Official government media" type censorship, but uses the same playbook. (A lightning bolt and a zap to the finger from a van-de-graff generator are "the same thing"- static electricity-- even though there is a world of difference between a lightning bolt and a static finger zap.)
A more correct analogy would be an actual lightning bolt, and an illustrated article on the potential benefits of lightning as a power source. Opinions voiced by individuals are not censorship, regardless of how disagreeable you find them. 

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79038 on: June 15, 2015, 01:16:31 pm »

No, mine stands.

There is a difference between somebody giving their singular opinion, and somebody leveraging mass media to force their opinion onto others. The first is freedom of expression, the other is censorship.

To wit-- We are discussing her antics, and their repercussions, BECAUSE she is leveraging mass media to promulgate her opinion, and attempt to change the game market. That is vastly different from somebody just saying "You know, I wish games were less violent and more constructive."  She actively tries to change the game marketplace with her rhetoric, and thus engages in censorship.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:21:03 pm by wierd »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #79039 on: June 15, 2015, 01:19:46 pm »

... freedom of expression ... censored ... censor ... agenda ... censorship ...
Does the Anitron Sarkeezoid have the power of censorship? Is she really that powerful, I wonder?
That depends: do you believe progressives secretly rule the world?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79040 on: June 15, 2015, 01:24:13 pm »

... freedom of expression ... censored ... censor ... agenda ... censorship ...
Does the Anitron Sarkeezoid have the power of censorship? Is she really that powerful, I wonder?
That depends: do you believe progressives secretly rule the world?
She's a progressive in the sense that she wants people to be oppressed only in the ways she desires, true. She is, in literal terms, a progressive.

But it's fucking offensive to lump someone like that in with people who want a more egalitarian world.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79041 on: June 15, 2015, 01:25:51 pm »

No, mine stands.

There is a difference between somebody giving their singular opinion, and somebody leveraging mass media to force their opinion onto others. The first is freedom of expression, the other is censorship.
But aren't we all leveraging mass media all the time? You may have 1000000 followers on Twitter while I have 10, but we're basically doing the same thing – just like lightning and static electricity. :P

E:
She's a progressive in the sense that she wants people to be oppressed only in the ways she desires, true.
Oh crap! Who is she trying to oppress this time? Scratch that, we better not go there because reasons.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:29:20 pm by SirQuiamus »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79042 on: June 15, 2015, 01:26:27 pm »

Truth does not care about how you feel about it.

In fact, I believe the saying is "Truth hurts."

SQ:

I would say that one lacks willful intent, and the other has it in spades.  My saying "Gee, I wish there was less flagrant sex and violence in this year's game offerings. I really like me some RTS." on twitter, and my going "We need to raise awareness that there are people, like me, who DEMAND RTS games FREE from sexual and violent themes! Send a message that we WILL NOT be ignored! Tell all your friends not to buy any of that violent, sexual FPS crap this year!" are VASTLY different things, even when my audience is one or two people.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:29:11 pm by wierd »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79043 on: June 15, 2015, 01:27:56 pm »

She does make liberal use of mass media to present her ideas in a very one-sided and biased manner, while actively ignoring people that disagree with her or accusing them of being misled or bigoted. She does present herself as a reviewer or mouthpiece of some sort, and uses internet "journalism" venues to spread it, so I can't completely disagree with wierd and say that she's only expressing her opinion.

I wouldn't call it "censorship" though. Its definitely not just her expressing her opinion on something, but its not censorship unless she's actively silencing people who disagree with her views (as in, stopping them from being able to voice their opinions). Anyway, Sarkeesian is still pretty shady and nobody with a brain, feminist or not, should listen to her.
Sarkessian is as progressive as someone who completely ignores some people's actual opression while considering some minor societal tendencies to be "systematic opression" against other people, which is hilarious.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #79044 on: June 15, 2015, 01:31:29 pm »

... seriously though, could y'all take your hang-ups over a minor internet figure somewhere else? Please? This really ain't the thread for it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79045 on: June 15, 2015, 01:34:22 pm »

Oh hey, looks like signavatar.com is borked. :I

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79046 on: June 15, 2015, 01:36:01 pm »

LOLOLOL

Way to expound to absurdity there, PoH!

RE: religious guy thinks he is PERSONALLY necessary for christ's return

So, you want some poor schlub to think that he is the antichrist, and that he HAS to be wounded in the head and plot world domination, in order for christ to be able to return, or some similarly high profile event?

That sounds like the plot for a really bad horror movie.
Fun fact: I once heard a guy angrily arguing with himself that he couldn't possibly be the antichrist, because if he was he "WOULD BE COMMANDING NATIONS RIGHT NOW!!"

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #79047 on: June 15, 2015, 01:41:46 pm »

He has a point.

Though, he could be in the stage before nation-ruling
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79048 on: June 15, 2015, 01:46:27 pm »

... seriously though, could y'all take your hang-ups over a minor internet figure somewhere else? Please? This really ain't the thread for it.
Okay... just... one more post for good measure?

My saying "Gee, I wish there was less flagrant sex and violence in this year's game offerings. I really like me some RTS." on twitter, and my going "We need to raise awareness that there are people, like me, who DEMAND RTS games FREE from sexual and violent themes! Send a message that we WILL NOT be ignored! Tell all your friends not to buy any of that violent, sexual FPS crap this year!" are VASTLY different things, even when my audience is one or two people.
You know, the former sounds a lot like Sarkeetron herself, while the latter could as well be a tumblerite as a Jesusland fundie (according to the Horseshoe Theory). But in any case, no amount of SCREAMING ON THE INTERBUTTS will make you into an effective censorship organ – that's a prerogative of governments and other large organizations who have actual control over the spread of information.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79049 on: June 15, 2015, 02:12:31 pm »

that's a prerogative of governments and other large organizations who have actual control over the spread of information.

Like Gastropub chains :P
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 5268 5269 [5270] 5271 5272 ... 11037