Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5061 5062 [5063] 5064 5065 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14516596 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #75931 on: May 07, 2015, 11:56:21 pm »

Unfortunely, the actualy japanese wizardry games (of which only one got released here) had basically no fantasy elements. Good games though.
I thought that they have had basically no sci-fi elements, though? Isn't the Wizardry Online all about stupid fantasy dungeon delving tropes to the maximum?

Not really. Wizardy actualy had a fair bit of sci fi elements ingrained in its plot. At least I'm fairly certain that wizardry 6, 7 and 8 (known as the savant trilogy) had quite a few sci fi elements to it. But yea, like someone else said previously, wizardy is weird in that it makes the fantasy elements more powerful and more obvious then the sci fi ones. You only get to see the sci fi elements later on. Kinda like some might and magic games.

In contrast to this, the japanese wizardry games (which were pure dungeon crawlers) used fantasy elements exclusively, with no sci fi elements at all. Of course, those games have no real connection to the western wizardry games, plot/character wise, sooooo yea.

Yup.

Super duper spoilerite shield activate!

Spoiler: Plot explosion! (click to show/hide)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #75932 on: May 08, 2015, 12:19:31 am »

How does that company even stay in business?
Reselling the "missing" packages?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75933 on: May 08, 2015, 12:22:12 am »

"Jenkins! Find me the CHEAPEST land shipping service on the planet!"

"The cheapest sir?"

"Dont make me repeat myself Jenkins! We have shareholder expectations to meet this quarter! CHOP CHOP!"

--- THAT'S how.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75934 on: May 08, 2015, 01:10:23 am »

Nobody has mentioned Shadowrun yet?

Also is Endless Legend good?
I've usually stayed away from 4x games but am really liking Age of Wonders.
Cities: Skylines is a pretty cool game.
I luled.  What else to do?
I smile, then I frown, then I o.O because... What else do?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 01:13:10 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75935 on: May 08, 2015, 07:42:16 am »

Ugh, waking up to the house being flooded with that beer smell. You know, the one you get when someone appears to have been binging and was too wasted to clean up after themselves (for a few days). How can people stand that? If that's how my weekend looks, I'm going to be pissed off. No wait, I'm already really pissed off.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75936 on: May 08, 2015, 07:51:39 am »

"Jenkins! Find me the CHEAPEST land shipping service on the planet!"

"The cheapest sir?"

"Dont make me repeat myself Jenkins! We have shareholder expectations to meet this quarter! CHOP CHOP!"

--- THAT'S how.

UPDATE: I don't even know anymore. The package was sitting on top of the stove this morning, I'm about to run out to grab some AAAs.

Also is Endless Legend good?
I've usually stayed away from 4x games but am really liking Age of Wonders.

Yes. Yes it is. It's really, really good. It's great. It's... legendary.

But seriously, it's got a really well-crafted world with a unique mythology (There's even spider-people!) and there's just so much good about it that the complaints almost feel fake. From the UI to the mechanics, to the little touches that can be noticed. I love it, haven't sunk enough hours into it.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #75937 on: May 08, 2015, 08:54:50 am »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:14:56 pm by penguinofhonor »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75938 on: May 08, 2015, 09:24:44 am »

I know my IQ now, I guess. I don't think that's supposed to happen.
And now it'll probably get used against me.
It's just a dumb number, anyways.
Don't worry about it. The IQ is fluid, and some people see a dramatic swing from one day to the next, or depending on factors like mood or if they ate breakfast. Hell, I'm reasonably sure that the only reason I have the IQ I do is because I'm good at acing tests, not because I'm any kind of smart. (Bay12 frequently reminds me that I am not a smart man.)

Furthermore, anything above a certain threshold is pretty much bunk anyway. It was pointed out to me by the Psychology professor that administered the test that there's not enough data to reasonably measure IQs above about 130 anyway, so once you hit that threshold scores tend to get weird. I've tested in the upper-upper-extreme on every IQ test I've ever taken (including a 3 day Stanford-Binet battery of tests at Syracuse University,) and it means...jack shit. According to my IQ, I should be a super-villain/billionaire. I'm a poor guy from Michigan who works a crappy retail job. Your IQ is not a measure of who you are, and shouldn't be used as such.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #75939 on: May 08, 2015, 09:30:52 am »

Pretty much, not to mention they're generally somewhat biased towards people with a certain mindset (at least the ones I've encountered personally.) The only thing I'd consider them really all that relevant for assessing are certain types of learning disabilities.

Not to mention that in today's world, 90% of what will affect your life will be luck and initial starting conditions.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #75940 on: May 08, 2015, 11:09:30 am »

IQ is a measure of intelligence relative to age, with 100 as base and, IIRC, +/- 20 points of variance among regular people. An IQ of 150 means, for example, a 10-year-old with the reasoning abilities of a 15-year-old.

It's a hilariously bad method of measuring intelligence above average, since it never was designed for that. It just got picked up and applied where it really shouldn't belong.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75941 on: May 08, 2015, 11:53:47 am »

I always considered IQ tests this way:

They measure 2 things:

1) How good you are at taking written tests
2) How quickly you can find or deduce patterns given limited datasets.

To me, REAL intelligence is MUCH more than that, and a good part of genuine intelligence is how well you can improvise and produce workable solutions to problems, and how well you can leverage past experiences to refine that improvisation.

EG-- you need to get your 4 kids to 3 different places, all over town, in 30 minutes. What's the best course of action to take? Some solutions to this problem are more intelligent than others-- such as, considering distance driven, considering average traffic problems at the given time, considering if certain destinations have an inherent order that is best to visit them in-- etc.

That's only one tortured example, but I think it does an OK job here.  In the same vein are things like musical composition, where you are looking for a good musical progression that will fit your existing theme, and which has certain qualities-- etc.

Intelligence is less about how much data you have obtained (Education), and more about how well you work with the data you have obtained. That's why you see fucking brilliant people who dont have a good education, and see them all the time, if you know what you are looking at. Conversely, it is also why you see people who, despite having a prestigious degree, are just shit at basically everything. They are educated, but dumb as rocks.

The problem with measuring intelligence is that the perception of intelligence is highly subjective in nature. That means tests have to overcome that subjective bias in order to be useful, which is why the qualitative tests we have are not good fits, and likely will never be good fits.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #75942 on: May 08, 2015, 12:26:05 pm »

Yeah, IQ tests are bullshit. I remember reading somewhere that the US army came up with the idea to decide which recruits in WWI were only useful as front line bullet catchers. I have done a few tests, and have scored between 70 and 170. This sounds about right for a guy who can comprehend complex quantum mechanics but struggles to tie shoelaces.

As Hawking said: "People who boast about their IQ are losers".

Easy to say that when you are Hawking though, right?
This is a blank sig.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75943 on: May 08, 2015, 12:41:52 pm »

Intelligence is less about how much data you have obtained (Education), and more about how well you work with the data you have obtained.
There's also the "how well you can obtain and assimilate data" part which is pretty important, too.

But yeah, for objective intelligence test we pretty much need to figure out how intelligence works, and if we do that, we have real AI in our hands, and that would be a much more significant result than being able to rate people's intelligence.
._.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75944 on: May 08, 2015, 01:00:05 pm »

This is probably obvious to all of you, but intelligence is a very umbrella word, much like strong. What does strong mean? Muscular? Hardy? Of upstanding character? High Willpower?
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.
Pages: 1 ... 5061 5062 [5063] 5064 5065 ... 11037