Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5059 5060 [5061] 5062 5063 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14516652 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #75900 on: May 07, 2015, 03:01:10 pm »

It's pretty easy to dispose of medieval look in M&M series, actually. Just go with World of Xeen aestetic. It's anything but medieval. Note that in-game sprites denote that place with a standard "medieval castle" picture.

In-game sprites in these games lie a lot.
What I actually want to know is why is the world apparently a massive mouldy knackebrod.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75901 on: May 07, 2015, 03:08:03 pm »

Keep in mind that the Might & Magic franchise was rebooted when Ubisoft acquired it.

If only because the modern gamer finds fantasy and sci-fi to be contradictory.
I doubt it. I think it's just that people in general, be they gamers or writes, seem to have a certain aversion when it comes to mixing the two. There are some rather recent games that do mix the two, like Endless Legend, where one faction are survivors from a spaceship crash and magic in general is actually nanomachines.
Most science fiction/fantasy video games in particular do blend the two, sometimes to the extent that you could call them "science fantasy", they just don't usually use it as a selling point. It's also true of other media to some extent but there's also more pure examples of both.

Of course, to even begin any sort of discussion on this we basically need to rigidly define the difference between fantasy and science fiction which numerous people have tried to do and failed. Things seem to get classified as one or the other basically based on a natural Geek Sense.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75902 on: May 07, 2015, 03:21:26 pm »

It's pretty easy to dispose of medieval look in M&M series, actually. Just go with World of Xeen aestetic. It's anything but medieval. Note that in-game sprites denote that place with a standard "medieval castle" picture.

In-game sprites in these games lie a lot.
What I actually want to know is why is the world apparently a massive mouldy knackebrod.
Because Ancients wanted to create worlds from scratch instead of fucking with elemental planes near existing barren rocks for 500 years, and apparently "inflating knacklebrod" was their best idea.
._.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #75903 on: May 07, 2015, 03:32:35 pm »

Ultima never dropped its sci-fi elements after the third game...

What with its space fighters, mechanical android race, the going to mars, aliens, heavy weaponry. It was always still there it just took less of a prominent role and became a background detail after the third game...

None of that (except for a Kilrathi cameo in VII) was present in Ultima IV-VII+SI. They were present in the Worlds Of Ultima spinoffs, but in the main games the most high-tech thing in Britannia is a cannon.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75904 on: May 07, 2015, 03:34:25 pm »

Well the Androids are in 8 or whatever game Serpent Isle is.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #75905 on: May 07, 2015, 03:45:16 pm »

I went to bed and Neo's still finding things to argue about. :P
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75906 on: May 07, 2015, 03:46:25 pm »

I went to bed and Neo's still finding things to argue about. :P

Ohh yeah I am practically warring.

I love being criticized for having an opinion that contradicts someone else's 3 times a day :P

Thanks Orange Wizard! You have saved the day!

Ehhh I can't blame you... You weren't there Orange Wizard... though if you were... -_-
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 03:48:35 pm by Neonivek »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #75907 on: May 07, 2015, 03:54:16 pm »

Nah, it's not a criticism, I just find it funny. Nothing wrong with having opinions, and it's good that you're willing to defend them in a manner that isn't "lalala can't hear you".
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #75908 on: May 07, 2015, 03:55:27 pm »

Real subtle imagery in that ending cinematic. I was expecting a certain comment long before I scrolled down to read them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75909 on: May 07, 2015, 03:55:57 pm »

Sorry Orange Wizard :P

People were really harassing me last night so I am a bit sensitive

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #75910 on: May 07, 2015, 05:11:23 pm »

Sorry to bring British politics into it, but in the TV stuff aboot how Sunderland loves to get the ballot papers in quickest or somesuch, I noticed, once the vote was in, Labour had won with 55% of the vote, and 55% of the electorate voted, =30.25% votes "majority".

Labour was pleased, the organisers were happy, as were the counters and people there, and the TV whatevers smiled and laughed. Nobody looked at the figure that flashed on screen for like 5 second.

In some ways, this is what is wrong with our country. *sob* :'(*sob*
One wheel short of a wagon

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #75912 on: May 07, 2015, 05:43:56 pm »

You've got the same problem the US does: all your major parties are shit and no-one votes for the small parties because they'll never get into government.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75913 on: May 07, 2015, 05:45:58 pm »

You've got the same problem every nation on the planet does: all your major parties are shit and no-one votes for the small parties because they'll never get into government.
Fixed that for you.
._.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #75914 on: May 07, 2015, 05:47:16 pm »

That is one thing I'll agree is completely screwy about the USA.  One of the biggest sources of most of our long-term problems.  And it's not us voters' fault...  It's the voting system which, unlike so many other democracies, doesn't allow coalitions.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 5059 5060 [5061] 5062 5063 ... 11037