Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5057 5058 [5059] 5060 5061 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14517268 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #75870 on: May 07, 2015, 10:37:41 am »

sounds like a call center

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #75871 on: May 07, 2015, 11:06:10 am »

Just turned a job down. I need work, but I'm not desperate enough to work in a place with policies that shady (and possibly illegal, but I am not a lawyer). When they promise you chances of promotion because "we fire at least 4 people a week" and 90+% of employees don't last a month, you'd have to be insane to work there.

Holy shit, what sort of joint was this that they try and use their turnover rates as a selling point?
A place for REAL men, none of those pansies concerned with having a future, and a job and not bein homeless.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #75872 on: May 07, 2015, 11:20:03 am »

Just turned a job down. I need work, but I'm not desperate enough to work in a place with policies that shady (and possibly illegal, but I am not a lawyer). When they promise you chances of promotion because "we fire at least 4 people a week" and 90+% of employees don't last a month, you'd have to be insane to work there.

Holy shit, what sort of joint was this that they try and use their turnover rates as a selling point?

Plastics molding plant - among their other policies are a requirement to report 15-30 minutes (unpaid, naturally) before your shift starts and forfeiture of pay if your time card is in error.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #75873 on: May 07, 2015, 11:23:49 am »

Yeah. You made the right call. The only person who should take that job is somebody who's secretly sitting on a big enough pile of money to finance a lawsuit, who's just trying to fish for standing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #75874 on: May 07, 2015, 11:26:40 am »

Yeah. You made the right call. The only person who should take that job is somebody who's secretly sitting on a big enough pile of money to finance a lawsuit, who's just trying to fish for standing.

Funny you should mention that - one of the other people at the training was someone who was fired from one of my previous employers, and is suing them for wrongful termination. She told me that this place seems worse.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75875 on: May 07, 2015, 11:49:43 am »

I am still never EVER going to get over how all the Might and Magic games are canonical.

You have no idea how insane that is because well...

It means Demons are space aliens.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #75876 on: May 07, 2015, 11:51:39 am »

I am still never EVER going to get over how all the Might and Magic games are canonical.

And that is, IMHO, pretty fucking rad.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75877 on: May 07, 2015, 12:31:28 pm »

Space aliens with diamond-like claws and skin tougher than steel, which means that you need either super technology or uber magic to even have a chance at stopping their invasion.

And their higher-ups wield uber meteor shower magic which absolutely kills you if it hits (meaninging you have to fly around to avoid being killed) and can deprive you of all magic (including buffs and unspent magic points) in melee.

Also their basic energy-generation tech destroys the planet if it ever malfunctions.

They're really rad, if you ask me.
._.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75878 on: May 07, 2015, 12:32:46 pm »

That does sound pretty rad.

Also on the note of Black v Black- been watching Vikings.
Ragnar is really likeable, but I've just had a fridge horror regarding his entire morality and whatnot.

Plastics molding plant - among their other policies are a requirement to report 15-30 minutes (unpaid, naturally) before your shift starts and forfeiture of pay if your time card is in error.

Hate to tell you, but that's just factory work in general.
Show up early, shoot the breeze with your mates, and then punch in on the dot and get to work.
Foremen usually count dollars in the seconds before they can push the 'Make conveyor belt go' button.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75879 on: May 07, 2015, 12:36:05 pm »

Space aliens with diamond-like claws and skin tougher than steel, which means that you need either super technology or uber magic to even have a chance at stopping their invasion.

And their higher-ups wield uber meteor shower magic which absolutely kills you if it hits (meaninging you have to fly around to avoid being killed) and can deprive you of all magic (including buffs and unspent magic points) in melee.

Also their basic energy-generation tech destroys the planet if it ever malfunctions.

They're really rad, if you ask me.

Yes but the really rad thing is that the vast majority of the series is medieval fantasy.

So you are playing through castles and dungeons...

And you know that just in another country is probably a crashed space ship.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75880 on: May 07, 2015, 12:43:13 pm »

So, in other words, what you would get if there were no fermi's paradox.

I believe it was Arthur C Clarke?
"Any technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic"

All you need to do is imagine something like this:

Aliens invent von-neuman probe technology using microscopic robots, and send it out into the galaxy.

A probe lands on a distant planet, crashes, and malfunctions. Instead of replicating more probes and sending data back to the mothership, it creates "life". (Or is otherwise absorbed by early organic replicators, and becomes part of the life on that planet--Symbiosis between technological nano-replicators and early biological ones.

A few million years later, you have advanced lifeforms that can do things that normal organics cant. Boom, "Magic".

The alien mothership comes along and wants to know what happened to the probe. Finds an entire planet populated with defective probe technology.

Hilarity ensues.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75881 on: May 07, 2015, 12:52:09 pm »

Yes but the really rad thing is that the vast majority of the series is medieval fantasy.

So you are playing through castles and dungeons...

And you know that just in another country is probably a crashed space ship.
Vast majority of games in the series happen on multiple different stellar bodies. Some of them - on artificially made ones. Every single populated planet is supposed to have gates leading to another worlds through a (inactive for more than 1000 years because space alien demons have infiltrated it and threatened to conquer everybody through it) teleportation network.

Dwarves are actually from another planet with a higher gravity (I'm not making this up, there's a small chance a random rescued NPC will say that).

Might and Magic series is actually a post-apocalyptic setting.

So, in other words, what you would get if there were no fermi's paradox.

I believe it was Arthur C Clarke?
"Any technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic"

All you need to do is imagine something like this:

Aliens invent von-neuman probe technology using microscopic robots, and send it out into the galaxy.

A probe lands on a distant planet, crashes, and malfunctions. Instead of replicating more probes and sending data back to the mothership, it creates "life". (Or is otherwise absorbed by early organic replicators, and becomes part of the life on that planet--Symbiosis between technological nano-replicators and early biological ones.

A few million years later, you have advanced lifeforms that can do things that normal organics cant. Boom, "Magic".

The alien mothership comes along and wants to know what happened to the probe. Finds an entire planet populated with defective probe technology.

Hilarity ensues.
Actually magic is supposed to be a natural part of the world in M&M series, to the point where Ancient's magi-tech terraforms worlds by unleashing/creating elemental planes on it for about 400 years, after which a barren rock turns into a fully hospitable planet (source: M&M 2) and Ancient's go-to machines all know magic of the highest caliber possible (sources: M&M 1-5, M&M 8).
._.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75882 on: May 07, 2015, 12:54:01 pm »

forfeiture of pay if your time card is in error.

I'm pretty sure that one is definitely illegal. Assuming this the US, and even then I think it depends on state law. Having thouroughly looked the the wage order law for New York myself, that would certainly be inviting a call to the Department of Labor.

As for my troubles, I was informed today, about 5-10 minutes before leaving(about an hour before this post), that tomorrow is my last day, except they want me to work all day Saturday and Sunday. And they wouldn't tell me if that's it for the summer or if that's a screw you goodbye. And my manager has been telling everyone else what their schedules are weeks in advance.

I think that was the case, but the only one whose plot I'm at all familiar with is the second one.
Spoiler: If I recall (click to show/hide)

PRE-EDIT: Sergarr must be a ninja, which is a character class in that series.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75883 on: May 07, 2015, 12:59:08 pm »

Nitpick:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I wish they would at some point of the future make a real continuation of the plot from M&M 7 and 8, specifically, M&M 7's good ending, where characters re-activate the gates to the Ancients and appear at the network hub connected to many, many other worlds.

It just looks like such an obvious plot hook to make a game centered around restoring the Ancient's network and gathering heroes together in order to kick space demon's asses... with might and magic.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:05:31 pm by Sergarr »
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75884 on: May 07, 2015, 01:13:42 pm »

I may have to get these from GoG some time.

Pages: 1 ... 5057 5058 [5059] 5060 5061 ... 11037