Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5035 5036 [5037] 5038 5039 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14515693 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #75540 on: May 02, 2015, 09:53:29 am »

Are you sure that's not just 90% of people who take the test and post their results to gaming forums? When talking about it IRL I've seen much more varied results.
Oh, I'm absolutely sure that's why, but since gaming forums are the only place I've ever seen people interested in each others' Myers-Briggs results I think it's still a fair assumption.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #75541 on: May 02, 2015, 10:01:26 am »

ahaha every description of ENFP reads like a cult leader

anyway what's with the tendency in fanfiction for people to automatically say a character is a mary sue the instant they have a single victory that the original character didn't, even if said victory makes sense given context?
Because people are stupid. Still better than the vast majority of FF.net who hate anything that isn't a power-fantasy wish-fulfillment suefic.

Rigor builds character.

I can buy that for something like building a house or getting your first job, but the only things MLA have built for me are frustration and red marks on my essay.

More accurately, being forced to do all of that stuff and do it right means that you're going to be doing it without thinking about it after a while, which is an important skill for anyone in academia. That said, MLA is absolute shit as styles go, and this is coming from someone who spent ~2/5ths of their undergrad time in English lit courses. It's disorganized, unclear, and the in-text parentheticals only work for creative works. Use Turabian or Chicago if you can -- footnotes are love, footnotes are life. APA is also acceptable and most disciplines in your undergrad work won't mind you using it. APSA might be good if there was more than one goddamn two-page PDF of official information for it.

Why is it important to be able to adapt to new citation styles and use the ones you know with a minimum of fuss? Because every fucking journal out there has their own anal-retentive variation on an existing style, or has designed one to suit their obsessions, and if you don't use them abso-fucking-lutely without flaw, you're not going to get published.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #75542 on: May 02, 2015, 10:14:29 am »

Is there any personality types that have bad traits?
It's all 'creative' and 'leadership qualities'; they never seem to have 'gullible' or 'uniquely horrible'.
It all seems tailor-made for your Facebook page then an actual personality test.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #75543 on: May 02, 2015, 10:28:33 am »

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:36:15 pm by penguinofhonor »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75544 on: May 02, 2015, 10:41:24 am »

Ugh. The library computer I'm on has the volume control locked out, and the library requires people to mute the sound or wear headphones. Then a random Flash advertisement suddenly starts blasting sound after 10 minutes of viewing the page I'm on.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #75545 on: May 02, 2015, 10:49:40 am »

That's certainly a mistake on the sysadmin's part. The lock would be understandable if it was locked to mute, but what you're describing is just stupid. Maybe tell an employee about it?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #75546 on: May 02, 2015, 10:54:19 am »

During the Myspace error era that would happen constantly in the computer lab I worked in.  Except the volume controls weren't locked out, it's just that 2/3 of the machines were SUN.  Most of the rest were running Redhat linux, where the volume control was obvious enough, but it wasn't easy to mute a SUN machine even if you knew how.  And considering that everybody who took Calculus 2 or 3 *had* to use Maple for homework, and this lab was the only place with dedicated Maple tutors (hi)...  There were lots of people who might have reasonably had difficulty on a Windows machine.

So several times a day, the pleasant droning buzz of the ancient computers would be overwhelmed by the pop music someone's friend put on their profile.  Half the time they'd minimize the window, and search desperately for the non-existent taskbar...  It was theoretically awful, but awfully funny.  (Especially since I did it too, as a freshman...)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #75547 on: May 02, 2015, 11:13:52 am »

Is there any personality types that have bad traits?
It's all 'creative' and 'leadership qualities'; they never seem to have 'gullible' or 'uniquely horrible'.
It all seems tailor-made for your Facebook page then an actual personality test.
Telling people how they are uniquely bad is a harder sell.

Secondarily, MBTI is not *designed* to tell bad people apart from good ones - you can find either in any type; if you want to check someone for that kinda thing, there are specialized tests for that, like the Dark Triad tests and whatnot.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #75548 on: May 02, 2015, 11:54:18 am »

That, and there's a difference between what sort of person you are versus what sort of person you are.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75549 on: May 02, 2015, 01:32:20 pm »

Getting real sick of NS&I's shit.
So I'm trying to set up my online stuff with them for the second time (the first failure was entirely my fault, but having to wait while that got sorted out has still made me weary of the whole thing). I get through a bunch of the first-time setup with security questions and phone numbers and stuff. Eventually it gets to a point where the entire page it's supposed to be showing me just stops working, displays a white screen. I figure I'll refresh and at worst have to do the whole thing again.
As expected I have to start from the beginning. Which is alright, I could get through it much faster now that I know what everything is. So I get to the password and put in the bits it asked for from the shiny new password that I set. Nope, not good enough. So I figure maybe it want's the temporary one I was sent for setup. But nope, not that. I try the proper password again to see if I made an error with capitalisation or something... still a big no. And third failed attempt means that I'm locked out of my account.

Nice system they have there.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #75550 on: May 02, 2015, 04:36:11 pm »

Minor WTF but... I already knew I had some blonde hairs here and there (my hair is brown), but today while shaving I found out that I also have red hairs. What is next, grey and white so I can have the complete set?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #75551 on: May 02, 2015, 04:38:27 pm »

Minor WTF but... I already knew I had some blonde hairs here and there (my hair is brown), but today while shaving I found out that I also have red hairs. What is next, grey and white so I can have the complete set?
Get a green hair or two and you'll be just like me.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #75552 on: May 02, 2015, 04:42:39 pm »

flabort confirmed for Joker.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75553 on: May 02, 2015, 04:55:04 pm »

Or it's moss, and Flabort confirmed for sloth.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #75554 on: May 02, 2015, 05:14:09 pm »

Or it's moss, and Flabort confirmed for sloth.
No no no, Flarbot clearly is a plant-based lifeform. Those are leaves.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 5035 5036 [5037] 5038 5039 ... 11037