Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4929 4930 [4931] 4932 4933 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494556 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #73950 on: April 12, 2015, 09:18:49 am »

It's actually a significantly greater ethical issue compared to racism, honestly, because the constant attempts by deniers to sabotage and undermine folks trying to keep our entire goddamn species and great swaths of the biosphere from dying is, y'know, making it notably more likely we're going to cause our own extinction (or at least civilization destroying) event in damnably short order. Incidentally, undersea methane release has begun to pick up speed :-\

Frankly, if I had to choose between a racist and a climate change denier in power, I'd choose the racist. Usually not an issue, because the two have this odd habit of falling in the same demographics, but still. Both are terrible, but the latter has much greater import.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73951 on: April 12, 2015, 09:27:46 am »

BUT IT'S JUST A THEORY BRO

And I don't understand the difference between common-usage "theory" and "supported by the vast preponderance of existing empirical evidence theory", but I'll shoot my mouth off anyways! Lol if global warming is real, why did it snow this March? HUH HUH

--

Okay. UKIP isn't a racist party. It's just a far-right party which supports other policy positions common to that fringe, which contains an exceptionally high degree of racists compared to other parties, and supports policies which are specifically intended to disadvantage members of society based on their ethnic background. Happy?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #73952 on: April 12, 2015, 09:38:33 am »

Sources?
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73953 on: April 12, 2015, 09:39:46 am »

It might not be racist, but it does come over to many people as xenophobic, and unreasonably so - especially considering the globally interconnected world in which we live. This caters to those who are racist, making the dividing lines quite blurry between xenophobic party, xenophobic followers, and racist followers.
This is a blank sig.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73954 on: April 12, 2015, 09:42:15 am »

Sources?

It's not my job to quote posts if you can't be arsed to read a few pages back for the links people have already provided.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 09:44:16 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73955 on: April 12, 2015, 09:51:21 am »

If there were two options between the idea that we could be missing out on billions of dollars and that we could be irresponsibly damaging the insanely unlikely conditions which allows this planet to support life, I know which I'd pick, no matter how slim the chances.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #73956 on: April 12, 2015, 10:02:47 am »

Me too.

With billions of dollars I can get like... half a Vintage deck.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73957 on: April 12, 2015, 10:49:22 am »

We know that there is only one Earth. We don't know how many billions of dollars we have, so we have to hoard as many as we can in case we run out all of a sudden.

Regarding why it's snowing in March despite global warming, an increase in temperature increases evaporation, increasing eventual rainfall and wind. Furthermore, the evaporated water gets pushed higher into the atmosphere, making it colder when it eventually comes down - it doesn't heat up all that much on the way down.

And no, I'm not an expert on meteorology, but that's what I figure would happen based on what I know from grade-school science class.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #73958 on: April 12, 2015, 11:13:03 am »

Really, from what I understand (and barring outliers like runaway methane poisoning the atmosphere or somethin') the major thing to expect on a local level isn't going to be a notable increase or decrease in temperature (though that is going to happen in some places), it's going to be a notable disruption in previously consistent weather patterns. We're looking at increased and increasing meteorological instability more than just about anything, in the relative short run. If you're seeing unseasonal weather, well... that's one of the predicted incoming effects. Some places are going to get colder as the global temperature rises, or have their seasons more or less shift. Which should be frankly goddamn terrifying, but I guess cranial/silica embracement is comforting to some people.

You can also expect stronger storms in a lot of places and the good ol' sea level rise (we're seeing pretty strong indications it's going to be notable this year, actually -- we're having either record matching or record breaking arctic melt at the moment, iirc), growing desertification, and just a whole host of things that are, well, showing every indication of happening.
Ask not!
Ask!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73959 on: April 12, 2015, 11:17:25 am »

Everyone knows (Apart from maybe Dwarfy IDK), FD was doing a satirical impression of people who refuse to acknowledge climate change.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73960 on: April 12, 2015, 12:21:30 pm »

Really, from what I understand (and barring outliers like runaway methane poisoning the atmosphere or somethin') the major thing to expect on a local level isn't going to be a notable increase or decrease in temperature (though that is going to happen in some places), it's going to be a notable disruption in previously consistent weather patterns. We're looking at increased and increasing meteorological instability more than just about anything, in the relative short run. If you're seeing unseasonal weather, well... that's one of the predicted incoming effects. Some places are going to get colder as the global temperature rises, or have their seasons more or less shift. Which should be frankly goddamn terrifying, but I guess cranial/silica embracement is comforting to some people.

You can also expect stronger storms in a lot of places and the good ol' sea level rise (we're seeing pretty strong indications it's going to be notable this year, actually -- we're having either record matching or record breaking arctic melt at the moment, iirc), growing desertification, and just a whole host of things that are, well, showing every indication of happening.
Yeah, but it's still pretty easy to understand why Middle America is largely in denial about climate change because while the rest of the world burns we've had too many consecutive freezing winters to easily believe the world is getting warmer, even though it fits perfectly if you actually look at the meteorology.

In other political news, I have a friend who's basically the most dyed-in-the-wool, stereotypical bleeding-heart liberal I've ever encountered - pro-choice, pro-LGBT, pro-feminist, pro-welfare, anti-racist, anti-war, and all that - and yet on the recent Tsarnaev verdict he went full right-wing revenge fantasy and went off about how he's so happy they found Tsarnaev guilty and hopes he gets sentenced to death and dies in agony and burns in hell. The weirdest part is that this is what he thinks should happen to a man who killed a grand total of four people with the help of his brother, and yet liberal friend has been apologetic about people who have done far worse singlehandedly.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #73961 on: April 12, 2015, 12:29:35 pm »

After downloading an 11 thousand block game (about 1.4 gigs) on my 3DS, I went in and cleaned out around half a year's worth of lame, meaningless videos I'd made a few years back, most of which had lighting so bad you couldn't even see what was in them.

I freed up around a quarter of a gig doing that.

Well. Reclaiming my SD card is going to be a fun task. I didn't realize how many useless game screenshots, blurry photos of my yard, and videos of my cat I'd taken over the past three years.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #73962 on: April 12, 2015, 01:13:35 pm »

If you're seeing unseasonal weather, well... that's one of the predicted incoming effects.
I live in Ohio, so "unseasonal, unstable weather" is the fucking norm.
I guess I'll know shit is fucked if it ever just STAYS NICE around here for more then a day.
I mean, I won't CARE because it'll be really nice, but I'll KNOW.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #73963 on: April 12, 2015, 01:20:28 pm »

Nah, in your case it'll probably just get worse :V
Ask not!
Ask!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #73964 on: April 12, 2015, 02:35:14 pm »

I almost exclusively watch "nerdy" videos. Computer science lectures, math lessons, tech vlogs, let's plays, game and film reviews, and video game music make up close to 100% of my YouTube consumption (the last few percent is non-game music).

Starting today, I've been seeing the same workout video in the "related videos" bar. It's not a sponsored link, because I have AdBlock set to block those. Just a single random exercise video amid all the usual stuff that is actually related to the video I'm watching. It's not quite guaranteed, but the same video has been showing up more than one would expect considering I haven't watched anything related to exercise in the past few years.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 4929 4930 [4931] 4932 4933 ... 11037