Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4931 4932 [4933] 4934 4935 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494499 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #73980 on: April 12, 2015, 03:45:49 pm »

We produce carbon dioxide, sure, but how does it compare to the output from volcanos and other nonhuman organisms?
Well, if you'd actually check, you'd know the yearly CO2 output of humanity just for vehicles has been matching the total output of volcanism over the last few centuries millennium, for a while now. Each year, if that wasn't clear enough.

Sadly, there's no statistic out there that can be twisted hard enough to make a molehill out of humanity's greenhouse gas mountain.

Here's the last time I recall that volcano bullshit popping up last, actually. That was a fun afternoon.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #73981 on: April 12, 2015, 03:46:31 pm »

I feel like this is going to be a productive discussion.

Now where did I put the popcorn...

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #73982 on: April 12, 2015, 03:47:29 pm »

Whilst I don't have the numbers to hand, I've seen them enough times to be confident that volcano greenhouse gasses are much less than those of humans. As for non-human organisms, we can see through ice cores and the like that pre-industrial revolution CO2 levels have remained pretty much constant, whilst they are now rising.

Of course, none of this is to say humanity is completely at fault, or that climate change is entirely unnatural - but humanity definitely does contribute partially. And let's face it, any move away from a lifestyle that involves slowly eating away at the planet (cause even if global warming is out of our hands, things like deforestation certainly aren't) is pretty much a healthy move anyway.

(Ninja'd)
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #73983 on: April 12, 2015, 03:52:53 pm »

Thanks for the sincere replies.

I haven't seen any real figures pertaining to global warming, but I will take care to look into it when I have an opportunity.

What about the cycle theory? That's one I see a lot.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #73984 on: April 12, 2015, 04:00:11 pm »

Global warming is a myth created by Obama to justify American middle east policy; cars don't release CO2, they release monocarbon dioxide - and that is released by plants. Trees cannot contribute to global warming, because trees are natural.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:01:50 pm by Loud Whispers »

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73985 on: April 12, 2015, 04:00:52 pm »

IIRC, CO2 levels lag behind the natural warming cycle (at least on the sub-million year scales) - so they increase after the warming. Whereas the current situation is CO2 increasing, appearing to cause the temperature raise.

I can find a couple of sources for this via casual googling - though none I'd quote for anything academic mind.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #73986 on: April 12, 2015, 04:01:57 pm »

Did you read over those links I posted earlier? They looked to me to give a fairly comprehensive covering of what we're screwing up, where it shows, and how we can tell those aren't natural.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73987 on: April 12, 2015, 04:08:59 pm »

One thing to consider is that for all we know, we're still in the later stages of an ice age, possibly still in an interglacial period that'll precede a new glacial period sometime in the future. A combination of the Malkovich Milankovitch cycles and changes in the circulation of heat in the oceans (something that changes most significantly as the continents move around) is more or less what determines these glacial and interglacial periods and ice ages in general.

If there are natural forces at work, those are the likely causes, not biological or due to volcanoes or something. What we do know with essentially absolute certainty is that humans are accelerating the warming process immensely through our industrial activities, as well as our destruction of forests and breeding of livestock. It would be ridiculous to claim that this natural shift's sudden acceleration followed the industrial revolution by coincidence when you consider the staggering vastness of geologic time in comparison with the last 200 years of human activity.

Climate change would happen regardless of us, but it would happen at a rate at which the world's ecosystems could adapt along with it, whereas what we're going to see in the near future (if nothing is done) are waves of mass extinctions from the bottom up, particularly in the oceans. A lot is said about rising tides, and while the damage that'll do to coastal cities in the developing world is very serious, that would be relatively benign compared to ocean and atmospheric acidification and a global collapse of irreplaceable ecosystems. We're finding more and more from our existing experience with ecological destruction and extinction that the Earth's systems are more connected than is immediately obvious, and the upshot is that a global catastrophe like what we're heading towards wouldn't just be a conservation tragedy, but something that could make human life increasingly difficult to support.

Anyway, to end this ramble, that's why people are generally pretty miffed about global warming skeptics.

Warning - while you were typing 13 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

nawp, I'm out
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:12:21 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #73988 on: April 12, 2015, 04:12:22 pm »

Meh. Climate change isn't exactly certain, and besides, so believing is hardly an ethical issue such as racism. Doesn't make them a bad spoopy doopy party that incites hatred such as everyone is trying to say... with absolutely no base at all.

It is hilarious the amount of effort people have gone to in order to turn public opinion away from them. Such as Left Foot Forward and co. :P

No weather prediction is totally certain but when the forecaster calls for a 95% chance of rain it's prudent to bring an umbrella and assholish to lash out at people or suggesting you do.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73989 on: April 12, 2015, 04:13:30 pm »

Oh, thanks. Someone here isn't a sarcastic git.
[Citation Needed]

I get that climate change is an important issue, and it's frustrating that people deny it, but I hate when people gang up unnecessarily on dissenting opinions.  Particularly when I agree with the majority opinion.  Of course, on any other forum this would have actually exploded  :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #73990 on: April 12, 2015, 04:26:02 pm »

Reddit's CEO is cutting salaries for gender equality.

Because that makes sense or something.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #73992 on: April 12, 2015, 04:28:45 pm »

I have spent a life time of my father espousing a doubt concerning global warming. I don't take what he says as law (nice guy, but very set in his his ways even when disproved.)

So yes, I'm testing the waters so to speak. No Arx, I didn't see your links. My phone makes such things rather difficult.

I'll look later, thanks.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73993 on: April 12, 2015, 04:30:29 pm »

Sigtext

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #73994 on: April 12, 2015, 04:41:24 pm »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:34:13 pm by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 4931 4932 [4933] 4934 4935 ... 11037