Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4909 4910 [4911] 4912 4913 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485448 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #73651 on: April 08, 2015, 05:43:40 pm »

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 06:31:34 pm by penguinofhonor »

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73652 on: April 08, 2015, 05:49:17 pm »

Dude, 75% of literary academic work is making shit up. As long as you can build a reasoned argument supporting it, you won't be dismissed out-of-hand. And if you're talking to one of the idiots that worships at the altar of universally valid personal interpretations literally anything will fly, even if it blatantly contradicts factual knowledge and you can't support it with anything more than "But that's what I think it means and I've been taught that I'm always right no matter what sort of nonsensical garbage I say!".

I'd like to see somebody try to argue that Plan 9 From Outer Space is a metaphor for the Iraq War. Everything about it fits, except for the fact that Plan 9 predates the war by 40 years.

That never stopped people from trying to claim that Lord Of The Rings was an allegory for Hitler, WWII, and the atomic bomb, never mind that the framework of the story was set down in the thirties, and it was mostly finished by 1942. 99.99% of all "symbolism" in literature analysis is bunk anyway.
Not to mention he fact that the very author of The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien even wrote that he despised allegory!
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #73653 on: April 08, 2015, 05:52:22 pm »

He didn't have an Inkling.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #73654 on: April 08, 2015, 06:10:46 pm »

how much more stupid shit will people invent to get on TV?

What's most funny to me is it looks ridiculous because of the oversized beach ball. Buncha GROWN, EXTREME MEN BRAAAAHHH faffing about with a beachball.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #73655 on: April 08, 2015, 06:16:11 pm »

Hey remember that forumnite we had that periodically posted stuff about having radiotransmitters in his teeth? What became of him?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73656 on: April 08, 2015, 07:01:05 pm »

Hey remember that forumnite we had that periodically posted stuff about having radiotransmitters in his teeth? What became of him?
...what?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #73657 on: April 08, 2015, 07:15:32 pm »

According to my iPod, Nile is not a word and I obviously meant Nike.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #73658 on: April 08, 2015, 07:28:01 pm »

NBA brought him in.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #73659 on: April 08, 2015, 07:31:48 pm »

... isn't that the one that got banned for being excessively creepy? Think that was mentioned in relation to 'em. Never actually saw the critter in action, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73660 on: April 08, 2015, 07:36:04 pm »

We need to properly record all of the antics of people who got banned. I vote Taw for recordkeeper.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #73661 on: April 08, 2015, 07:41:23 pm »

This guy?

He's apparently a programmer for a game, and frequently posts in the Terraria thread. Seems despite the occasional crazy, he's a respectable bay12er.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #73662 on: April 08, 2015, 07:43:47 pm »

We need to properly record all of the antics of people who got banned. I vote Taw for recordkeeper.
Uh.

I guess I do remember what caused most of the post-2014 bans...
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73663 on: April 08, 2015, 07:50:10 pm »

Dude, an billion% of literary academic work is making shit up. As long as you can build a reasoned argument supporting it, you won't be dismissed out-of-hand. And if you're talking to one of the idiots that worships at the altar of universally valid personal interpretations literally anything will fly, even if it blatantly contradicts factual knowledge and you can't support it with anything more than "But that's what I think it means and I've been taught that I'm always right no matter what sort of nonsensical garbage I say!".
FTFY
Nah. If you're analyzing a work with consideration for authorial experiences and tendencies (not that they necessarily are relevant in all cases), the historical/social/political context in which it was written, the expectations and attitudes of the original audience, &c. and working from symbols and such that would have been thought about by authors at the time, then you're working with one foot in reality. For example, looking for color symbolism with no regard for any perspective beyond your own = bullshit. Looking for color symbolism based on the values and meaning that the author's culture attached to colors = valid and potentially fruitful.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #73664 on: April 08, 2015, 09:10:09 pm »

Hey that's my job.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 4909 4910 [4911] 4912 4913 ... 11037