Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4908 4909 [4910] 4911 4912 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485430 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #73635 on: April 08, 2015, 01:31:04 pm »

I'm still feeling weirded out that a few days ago I managed to write a paper for a literature class based entirely on a piece of symbolism/metaphor I managed to put together using the large amounts of obscure trivia related to the history of the transformers franchise floating around in my head. AND AS FAR AS I CAN TELL IT FIT PERFECTLY.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:38:28 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73636 on: April 08, 2015, 01:47:48 pm »

Dude, 75% of literary academic work is making shit up. As long as you can build a reasoned argument supporting it, you won't be dismissed out-of-hand. And if you're talking to one of the idiots that worships at the altar of universally valid personal interpretations literally anything will fly, even if it blatantly contradicts factual knowledge and you can't support it with anything more than "But that's what I think it means and I've been taught that I'm always right no matter what sort of nonsensical garbage I say!".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #73637 on: April 08, 2015, 01:49:09 pm »

Well it was a manga class to be exact, but the part I'm weirded out by was that I never expected that knowledge to actually be useful :P
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73638 on: April 08, 2015, 01:52:02 pm »

Heh, that's one of the true secrets of the humanities: all knowledge is useful. Even if the only use it ever serves is making you look insightful for a few minutes in an irrelevant little chunk of your life.

Honestly, I'd expect less bullshit (albeit of a different sort) from classes dealing with things that aren't traditional capital-L Literature, mostly because there isn't the accumulated detritus of centuries of past interpretation coloring bloody everything.

3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #73639 on: April 08, 2015, 01:59:01 pm »

Dude, 75% of literary academic work is making shit up. As long as you can build a reasoned argument supporting it, you won't be dismissed out-of-hand. And if you're talking to one of the idiots that worships at the altar of universally valid personal interpretations literally anything will fly, even if it blatantly contradicts factual knowledge and you can't support it with anything more than "But that's what I think it means and I've been taught that I'm always right no matter what sort of nonsensical garbage I say!".

I'd like to see somebody try to argue that Plan 9 From Outer Space is a metaphor for the Iraq War. Everything about it fits, except for the fact that Plan 9 predates the war by 40 years.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #73640 on: April 08, 2015, 02:02:28 pm »

I'd like to see somebody try to argue that Plan 9 From Outer Space is a metaphor for the Iraq War. Everything about it fits, except for the fact that Plan 9 predates the war by 40 years.

That never stopped people from trying to claim that Lord Of The Rings was an allegory for Hitler, WWII, and the atomic bomb, never mind that the framework of the story was set down in the thirties, and it was mostly finished by 1942. 99.99% of all "symbolism" in literature analysis is bunk anyway.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #73641 on: April 08, 2015, 02:06:25 pm »

My Firefox is glitching out and superimposing tabs on each other. Reading technical papers about using vetiver as a phytoremediator with FD's avatar next to them was briefly confusing. I present a brief snippet of my thought process:

"Where the heck is FD posting about this? I'm pretty sure I'd remember a thread like that."

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73642 on: April 08, 2015, 02:28:01 pm »

How strange, I can't recall publishing any work regarding the treatment of heavy metal soil contamination.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73643 on: April 08, 2015, 02:47:09 pm »

No man, you got it backwards. The Iraq war is a metaphor for Plan 9, obviously. It all fits! :P
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #73644 on: April 08, 2015, 02:50:08 pm »

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 06:30:24 pm by penguinofhonor »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73645 on: April 08, 2015, 02:52:35 pm »

Turns out the Illuminati only manipulate world politics to make references to bad movies.
TBH that sounds exactly like my MO.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #73646 on: April 08, 2015, 04:39:34 pm »

Dude, an billion% of literary academic work is making shit up. As long as you can build a reasoned argument supporting it, you won't be dismissed out-of-hand. And if you're talking to one of the idiots that worships at the altar of universally valid personal interpretations literally anything will fly, even if it blatantly contradicts factual knowledge and you can't support it with anything more than "But that's what I think it means and I've been taught that I'm always right no matter what sort of nonsensical garbage I say!".
FTFY
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73647 on: April 08, 2015, 04:45:15 pm »

That never stopped people from trying to claim that Lord Of The Rings was an allegory for Hitler, WWII, and the atomic bomb, never mind that the framework of the story was set down in the thirties, and it was mostly finished by 1942. 99.99% of all "symbolism" in literature analysis is bunk anyway.
I think it's more like 'Hey, I've seen this trope before!' Just that they don't want to admit that they've effectively been beaten at their job by a website  with scummy management.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #73648 on: April 08, 2015, 04:55:54 pm »

That's because The Lord of the Ring does hold a lot of connection with Tolkein's experiences in WWI, and despite their many differences, there were a lot of similarities between WWI and WWII. It's a fairly easy mistake to make as a person who knows a lot more about WWII than WWI.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73649 on: April 08, 2015, 05:16:01 pm »

Don't steal honey from bees Florida man.   We shouldn't have to tell you these things Florida man.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 4908 4909 [4910] 4911 4912 ... 11037