Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4840 4841 [4842] 4843 4844 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14446007 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #72615 on: March 23, 2015, 05:17:21 pm »

So something called the University of [Redacted] Divest campaign started sending me emails. They want the university to stop doing business with companies that do business in the contested parts of Israel/Palestine and therefore contribute to the Israeli settlement programs in those areas. It at least resembles a good idea on the surface, but on the list of companies to stop doing business with are giants like General Electri and Hewlett-Packard, among others, who're are essential to keeping the university running. If they were to stop doing business with them, I wonder if the university could find a replacement with the logistical capability to handle their needs. Student Government seems to have similar concerns, and decided not to act on the movement's requests. It should be interesting to see how it plays out, but I'm almost certain it'll die there before it ever gets to the desk of anyone remotely relevant.

It seems I was wrong. Just yesterday student government passed their proposal by a margin of 21 to 4. The full list of companies to be divested from is CEMEX, General Atomic, Hewlett-Packard, Proctor & Gamble, and Rolls-Royce. I wondered at first why it passed so easily when it didn't even make it to a vote before, then I went and found it and discovered this little gem had been added to the second to last paragraph.

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the Student Government urges the UT Foundation managers to divest, as soon as such divestment may be accomplished without injury to UT’s investment interests.

Emphasis mine. It passed by such a wide margin because the University can safely do very little while still adhering to the letter and spirit of the proposal. One of the four who voted against the proposal is bringing a vote of no confidence, but it seems unlikely that she is doing anything but posturing (for who, I wonder? Even when they're doing controversial stuff not many people pay student government much attention.) This is the only thing student government has done in recent memory that people cared enough about to go to their meeting anyway. Now it just remains to be seen what the administration thinks of it.

Can you provide a non-anti-semitic source for this? Nothing local's reported anything since it was found "totally illegal" under university policies, and literally every source I can find on it are rabidly anti-Jew websites.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72616 on: March 23, 2015, 06:41:21 pm »

Can you provide a non-anti-semitic source for this? Nothing local's reported anything since it was found "totally illegal" under university policies, and literally every source I can find on it are rabidly anti-Jew websites.

I can try, but I learned this from an email the UT SJP sent people who're on their mailing list. The student government don't seem to have minutes from the meeting (or any meeting for that matter) publicly available, so there's probably not much I can do for you. I can give you the emails at least. The first contains a detail I missed earlier, the administration's response. Unsurprisingly, it was not positive.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the equally even more loaded message about the no confidence bit. Not much to this one, but it's included for completion.

Edit: removed reference to elf-lords.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:47:19 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #72617 on: March 23, 2015, 06:48:01 pm »

-snip-
What about the river spirits? We need to know the results of the pie-eating contest; should I check my Pokédex?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #72618 on: March 23, 2015, 07:04:16 pm »

I can try, but I learned this from an email the UT SJP sent people who're on their mailing list. The student government don't seem to have minutes from the meeting (or any meeting for that matter) publicly available, so there's probably not much I can do for you. I can give you the emails at least. The first contains a detail I missed earlier, the administration's response. Unsurprisingly, it was not positive.

And the equally even more loaded message about the no confidence bit. Not much to this one, but it's included for completion.

Strange that none of the local news mentioned it. Of course, given the horrid reputation of the Divest movement, it was probably wise not to call attention to them.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72619 on: March 23, 2015, 07:05:19 pm »

Vague wording in tabletop games. Comes up too often, it seems.

Book X says to apply the Y template found in book Z. Book Z contains several different Y-type templates throughout. Book X did not specify which template to use, or even which page it is on.

Sometimes I wonder if they do that on purpose.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72620 on: March 23, 2015, 07:09:07 pm »

Just look at Exalted 2nd ed which constantly contradicted itself.

For example essence 10 is the absolute essence limit. But the first book refers to elementals casually going above 10 essence.

I miss the days of World of Darkness where the contradictions were intentional. The books were made from their perspective.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72621 on: March 23, 2015, 07:13:12 pm »

All I need to know is whether I fucked my horse or not.

Doesn't help when Google search brings up instances of people using different templates for the exact same purpose I am trying to find out right now.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #72622 on: March 23, 2015, 08:51:17 pm »

When in doubt, house rule it. Get together with the GM (and other players if necessary), make a decision, and write it down in your house rule book. Then stick with that decision unless something else comes along that forces you to change it. You're the ones playing the game after all.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72623 on: March 23, 2015, 08:52:50 pm »

Vague wording in tabletop games. Comes up too often, it seems.

Book X says to apply the Y template found in book Z. Book Z contains several different Y-type templates throughout. Book X did not specify which template to use, or even which page it is on.

Sometimes I wonder if they do that on purpose.

Just apply all the templates at once.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72624 on: March 23, 2015, 09:00:40 pm »

The problem with this is you end up with housecats capable of bisecting demi-gods.

By purring at them.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #72625 on: March 23, 2015, 09:02:35 pm »

The problem with this is you end up with housecats capable of bisecting demi-gods.

By purring at them.
They can already do that to commoners.

The demigod of commoners shouldn't be too hard.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #72626 on: March 23, 2015, 09:03:10 pm »

By purring at them.
So just a slight step up in power from base D&D housecats? :P
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72627 on: March 23, 2015, 09:03:44 pm »

The mount should not make a better paladin than its master.

As it is, the damn thing is smarter than a few of the other party members. And that's with the simplest template, which it has currently.

Though I doubt I'd get much leeway with the DM.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #72628 on: March 23, 2015, 09:07:56 pm »

The mount being able to casually take the master in a conflict of wits and warfare is the best part of having a sacred mount or animal companion, though...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72629 on: March 23, 2015, 09:08:51 pm »

All I need to know is whether I fucked my horse or not.
I think you would know. Is the horse telling you about how it "had a really great time last night?"
Pages: 1 ... 4840 4841 [4842] 4843 4844 ... 11040