Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4842 4843 [4844] 4845 4846 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14446111 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #72646 on: March 24, 2015, 11:29:25 am »

what the hell California i thought you were supposed to be the hippy dippy liberal state.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2015/03/24/395070728/calif-lawyer-proposes-ballot-initiative-to-kills-gays-and-lesbians

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72647 on: March 24, 2015, 11:39:55 am »

what the hell California i thought you were supposed to be the hippy dippy liberal state.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2015/03/24/395070728/calif-lawyer-proposes-ballot-initiative-to-kills-gays-and-lesbians

Well then. I think it's time for him to move states. He only alienated like what? Half of California?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72648 on: March 24, 2015, 11:47:41 am »

In California's defense, this is unlikely to make it all the way to the ballot. And even if somehow it did get on the ballot and then passed it would be struck down immediately. Please don't judge an entire state of well over 38 million people by one crazy jerk :|
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #72649 on: March 24, 2015, 11:51:07 am »

... is that the second or third time that one's been brought up around here?

And yeah, the one proposing it is a loon that's done similar previously. What's actually kinda' interesting is that sort of crazy usually isn't willing to put out the dosh (I think it was something like half a grand to get it to the point it's at, nevermind further?) to actually pursue that sort of thing, but this one is.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72650 on: March 24, 2015, 11:52:46 am »

Yeah, this is non-news.  Just a bid for attention.  The part that worries me is that the article muses about increasing the $200 fee for proposing ballots, to discourage attention-grabs like this.  But that would be a terrible result, since proposing ballots is a nice bit of direct democracy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #72651 on: March 24, 2015, 11:55:05 am »

In California's defense, this is unlikely to make it all the way to the ballot. And even if somehow it did get on the ballot and then passed it would be struck down immediately. Please don't judge an entire state of well over 38 million people by one crazy jerk :|

Don't worry, I judge all the other 280 million people by him as well :P
Love, scriver~

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72652 on: March 24, 2015, 01:00:08 pm »

Yeah, this is non-news.  Just a bid for attention.  The part that worries me is that the article muses about increasing the $200 fee for proposing ballots, to discourage attention-grabs like this.  But that would be a terrible result, since proposing ballots is a nice bit of direct democracy.
They could just make it more inconvenient. Not harder, just a hassle to do.
I think that would be a solution to a lot of problems.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #72653 on: March 24, 2015, 02:11:34 pm »

I think an important thing to recognize is that a lot of these attention grabbing crazies that are proposing ballots are going to be proposing them regardless of the cost (until they become prohibitively expensive, at least). If they're already will to shell out $200 for a crazy proposal, they probably aren't going to care too much about shelling out $500 for their crazy dream instead. On the other hand there are plenty of less wealthy people with good ideas, that would be blocked by an increase to the fee.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #72654 on: March 24, 2015, 02:28:35 pm »

Personally, I think we should get rid of the proposition system entirely. It has caused California far more harm than good over the years and is a significant contributor for the economic mess the state has been in. Also, it makes voting even more of a pain since you get a ton of stuff that sounds good at a glance that is incredibly tough to actually properly read and understand the consequences of. So most people just go with whatever the major parties/groups tell them to do anyway.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #72655 on: March 24, 2015, 02:41:12 pm »

Proposition 71 alone justifies the proposition system, I think. I envy you.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #72656 on: March 24, 2015, 02:41:30 pm »

wuh. :l
It's okay, Caz. Those numbers aren't actually real.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72657 on: March 24, 2015, 06:41:16 pm »

Why do people always remember Captain Kirk as some ladies man who sleeps with all the women?

Not only did he almost NEVER actually sleep with anyone... But the only time he made out with women on the show was to emotionally manipulate them in order to get them on his side, which is INCREDIBLY sceezy, only to betray them later.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #72658 on: March 24, 2015, 06:42:29 pm »

'Cause de green chicka was hot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72659 on: March 24, 2015, 07:01:37 pm »

Why do people always remember Captain Kirk as some ladies man who sleeps with all the women?

Not only did he almost NEVER actually sleep with anyone... But the only time he made out with women on the show was to emotionally manipulate them in order to get them on his side, which is INCREDIBLY sceezy, only to betray them later.

Yet another reason Captain Picard > Captain Kirk.

Why are you all looking at me like that? Someone had to say it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 4842 4843 [4844] 4845 4846 ... 11040