Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4761 4762 [4763] 4764 4765 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14444342 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #71430 on: March 06, 2015, 08:01:21 pm »

Some of the things I find for Pathfinder are very strange. Early-age firearms and steampunk, to a degree, are one thing. But straight-up Sci-Fi, In my D&D?

Even if it weren't for the complete lack of balance, I doubt I'd be able to find a DM that would allow that type of stuff in.
Damnit, now I want to play a character with a chainsaw.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedition_to_the_Barrier_Peaks

Back then there wasn't a big clean divide between "fantasy", "sci-fi", and real world.
._.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #71431 on: March 06, 2015, 08:03:52 pm »

Science fantasy... reminds me of some flash RPG I played a millenium ago that affectionately parodied classic JRPGs and expertly blended science fiction with fantasy during just the right spots. Those games were cool.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #71432 on: March 06, 2015, 11:14:37 pm »

Science fantasy... reminds me of some flash RPG I played a millenium ago that affectionately parodied classic JRPGs and expertly blended science fiction with fantasy during just the right spots. Those games were cool.
Mardek?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #71433 on: March 06, 2015, 11:32:32 pm »

Yeah, yeah, that was it. The smaller-scale traditional fantasy-esque setting blended pretty well with the overarching primarily sci-fi plot.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71434 on: March 07, 2015, 12:15:46 am »

... to be fair, there wasn't really all that much sci-fi in spelljammer. It was just fantasy in space. With those awesome hippo dudes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #71435 on: March 07, 2015, 05:23:11 am »

The radio is currently playing a concerto.

For four harpsichords and an orchestra.

To quote the presenter, "I've never seen four harpsichords on one stage, let alone in one piece."

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #71436 on: March 07, 2015, 06:34:48 am »

The gender thread got locked for reasons not pertaining to people flaming about gender.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71437 on: March 07, 2015, 07:13:06 am »

Huh.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71438 on: March 07, 2015, 07:21:47 am »

I could probably host a successful Gender thread...

If it wouldn't be considered trolling to ban certain people from the discussion.

"You started a fight? Sorry banned"

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71439 on: March 07, 2015, 07:22:15 am »

The gender thread got locked for reasons not pertaining to people flaming about gender.
Naah, I was meaning to lock it on a regular basis anyway - this just seemed like a good time to try it out. It'll be open again soon.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71440 on: March 07, 2015, 08:10:15 am »

Oh right. For a second I was crazy confused.

Coincidentally, does anyone know if/what the statute of limitations is on filing a discrimination suit?
I'm getting the sense that you're a male teacher/professor here.
In which case don't rock the boat, at all, because if the student says anything at all, their word will be taken as gospel and you will only get more shit flung on you.

Yes, hahah, in the WTF thread I'm railing against misandry; the irony astounds me. But I've been burned by it before, things are just like that currently.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #71441 on: March 07, 2015, 08:12:44 am »

I think what happened was someone basically filed a harassment charge or something against him for no reason. He is, to my knowledge, not a professor.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71442 on: March 07, 2015, 08:24:28 am »

Kinda feel a need to pipe up re: Flying Dice's rant about sci-fi/fantasy stuff, specifically re: pulp.

The pulps I've read weren't that... bad, really? Granted, they were Analog and Asimov's so there was some quality control, I'm assuming, and the Analog issue I read had an interesting essay on worldbuilding, but still. That bit kinda surprised me. >_>

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71443 on: March 07, 2015, 09:53:22 am »

Kinda feel a need to pipe up re: Flying Dice's rant about sci-fi/fantasy stuff, specifically re: pulp.

The pulps I've read weren't that... bad, really? Granted, they were Analog and Asimov's so there was some quality control, I'm assuming, and the Analog issue I read had an interesting essay on worldbuilding, but still. That bit kinda surprised me. >_>
If they were published in the past few decades, they're not really pulps any more, since only the quality ones have survived into the present day. I'm talking about the nickle and dime rags that you'd see back in the '30s, '40s, and '50s -- that scene is where Sturgeon's Revelation comes from, the original conceit that prompted it (about 90% of SF being crap) was specifically targeted at the pulp magazines, which would basically print any shit that they got, from the worst scribblings to the Golden Age greats.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #71444 on: March 07, 2015, 10:00:16 am »

So fanfiction is the pulp story of the modern age, I guess :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 4761 4762 [4763] 4764 4765 ... 11040