Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4743 4744 [4745] 4746 4747 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14433527 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #71160 on: March 02, 2015, 01:32:46 pm »

Ahhhh. Those stories always seem really weird to me. "My GM is such an asshole, let me tell you a story that would have been impossible without a great GM."

Riiight.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #71161 on: March 02, 2015, 01:33:17 pm »

Rule 0 may be "the GM is always right", but rule -1 is "the players can leave the GM without a game to master, so he/she ought to behave."

My group always went by
Rule 1: The GM is always right.
Rule 2: The players are always right.

We were a pretty RP heavy group. We would occasionally slightly adjust the rules to make it awesomer.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #71162 on: March 02, 2015, 01:44:21 pm »

Utah may pass medical marijuana, DEA warns of baked bunnies

Is there a more asinine government agency than the DEA? I mean, I'm not exactly saying we should have a meth-ridden free-for-all- but really? Really?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71163 on: March 02, 2015, 01:52:14 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kppx4bzfAaE
i can't handle this swag.
Hey, that's not bad, afa lyrics.  Lyrics are sound.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71164 on: March 02, 2015, 02:07:59 pm »

Well...

I just found out that TERRIBLE Starwars apprentice name "Starkiller"... Was apparently not a name the creators of that game made up...

George Lucas created that name.

and OHH MY GAWD! George Lucas made so many terrible names... and this is before he stopped caring about Starwars and did dumb stuff to it just for fun...

Before Charmed did it... he did "Darklighter"
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:20:13 pm by Neonivek »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #71165 on: March 02, 2015, 02:11:35 pm »

Ahhhh. Those stories always seem really weird to me. "My GM is such an asshole, let me tell you a story that would have been impossible without a great GM."

Riiight.

I don't think so, it had to be a bad GM to let them get away with it. Seriously? A small novel that said the character was world class everything (and which the player flat out admits to secretly rewriting whenever he needs to be good at something) and the GM was just like "ok whatever"?

Don't get me wrong, I understand the difference between roll playing and roleplaying and I don't mind crazy non-standard characters but a good GM will draw the line somewhere and just say "ok that's enough, you can't be good at everything all the time and always get away with everything forever".

It was obviously a bad GM that didn't know WTF to do so he just let the player take the game over and do whatever he wanted.

Edit: that's assuming it actually happened and was not just completely made up, of course.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:13:09 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71166 on: March 02, 2015, 02:29:42 pm »

It was obviously a bad GM that didn't know WTF to do so he just let the player take the game over and do whatever he wanted.

It's the GMs job to make sure the players are having fun. This player at least clearly had fun. What more do you want?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71167 on: March 02, 2015, 02:31:11 pm »

I doubt anyone could Henderson it in any way. With the way the story is set up, one character death could be the end of the campaign. Or at least seriously hinder it. Kind of worrying, actually, since our main battle technique is CHAAAAARGE!!!, with even our healer running in like a madman.

On the plus side, sometimes the DM's own character messes up his own plans.

I don't quite know what to say, C. Though I don't personally think you should have gone as far as to grab the kid, I can't blame you for what happened.

The kid was an ass, and the school doesn't sound like it is handling the situation well.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71168 on: March 02, 2015, 02:37:31 pm »

:(

Jeez Caroline, that's a rough situation. I wish I could offer advice.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71169 on: March 02, 2015, 02:39:17 pm »

I was told that by grabbing his shirt I reacted angrily, and that by standing there I was already exposing myself to getting physically and mentally harassed. That they're gonna see if they should take disciplinary action against me, too (Dammit. Now my mom will be angry at me and I probably fucked up part of my future).

This right here, this makes me WTF.  Had I been the one trying to prevent people from violating the rules, there would have been blood and violence.  But had I done what you did, and then been told that I had done something wrong, by the people who are supposed to be making a safe and fair environment, there would have been DEATH (hospitalization with permanent joint damage at absolute minimum).
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #71170 on: March 02, 2015, 02:43:04 pm »

It's the GMs job to make sure the players are having fun. This player at least clearly had fun. What more do you want?

it's the GM's job to make sure everyone is having fun, not just one guy dominating everything with his stupid "master at everything" character.

If he's going to allow that, why even have a game? Just let the player sit there and tell a story about how awesome he is while everyone else listens.

Obviously in this situation they enjoyed it because the GM was so terrible they had intended to quit anyway, so it was funny to watch the player run all over him. A good GM would never have gotten into that situation in the first place.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71171 on: March 02, 2015, 02:44:10 pm »

I was told that by grabbing his shirt I reacted angrily, and that by standing there I was already exposing myself to getting physically and mentally harassed. That they're gonna see if they should take disciplinary action against me, too (Dammit. Now my mom will be angry at me and I probably fucked up part of my future).

This right here, this makes me WTF.  Had I been the one trying to prevent people from violating the rules, there would have been blood and violence.  But had I done what you did, and then been told that I had done something wrong, by the people who are supposed to be making a safe and fair environment, there would have been DEATH (hospitalization with permanent joint damage at absolute minimum).
... and that is why you aren't the one enforcing rules.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #71172 on: March 02, 2015, 02:44:46 pm »

It's the GM's job to master the game. Fun is incidental if the game he's running is good. There's no point in having a GM if all the players are going to do is dick around.

I probably fucked up part of my future
Bollocks. Your future's not going to change substantially from one incident like this (unless you let it really get to you, but I'll leave people more adept than myself at being nice to work on that one).

Also, I hope you're okay. Punches to the head are not nice.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #71173 on: March 02, 2015, 02:47:56 pm »

Caroline, what you did was brave and noble, but not the right way to go. I know very little about Honduras, but most places have various systems in place to prevent corruption. Use them and blow those whistles. And never forget to plan ahead and play Xanatos Gambits with them. For example, mention any delinquents to the teachers before acting yourself. If they agree to stop them, justice wins. If they don't, act yourself. If you succeed, justice wins. If you don't and something happens, you can call out the teacher on corruption instead; justice wins. Revolution is rarely something you can achieve in a snap.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #71174 on: March 02, 2015, 02:53:05 pm »

Well...

I just found out that TERRIBLE Starwars apprentice name "Starkiller"... Was apparently not a name the creators of that game made up...

George Lucas created that name.

and OHH MY GAWD! George Lucas made so many terrible names... and this is before he stopped caring about Starwars and did dumb stuff to it just for fun...

Before Charmed did it... he did "Darklighter"

Not only did he come up with it, the only reason the main protagonist of Star Wars wasn't named "Luke Starkiller" is because the studio didn't like the name when they saw him introduce himself as Luke Starkiller to Princess Leia.

It was that far into development before he changed it to Skywalker.
Pages: 1 ... 4743 4744 [4745] 4746 4747 ... 11039