Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4706 4707 [4708] 4709 4710 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461007 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #70605 on: February 24, 2015, 02:25:20 pm »

I haven't finished either of those. Did finish the Enchanted Forest Chronicles sometime ago, though. That was great.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70606 on: February 24, 2015, 03:25:13 pm »

Yes but why is it so affected by demographics?
Can you clarify the question a little bit more? What exact effect of demographics are you asking about?

What I mean is... If everyone made slash fiction equally, ignoring age restrictions, then it wouldn't deserve mention.

Yet it is divided quite clearly among gender lines.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #70607 on: February 24, 2015, 03:37:29 pm »

In that case I'd say that your age demographic is mainly just a side effect of internet literacy/usage rates and the randoms that are invoked. In general younger people are both more likely to use the internet and use it more often then those who are older. Combine that with the fact that most randoms are aimed at a particular group and it intensifies the effect further (since, for example, a star trek slash fix won't appeal near as much to non-trekies), meaning our slight teen weight becomes a much stronger one. You might also mention that a larger portion of "dabbling" writers are younger, instead of older.

As for a gender divide, I'd point out the known fact that (as a broad generality) women are the main consumers of written erotic material, while men are the main consumers of the visual stuff. Many more women reading the stuff means that even if both genders had the same percentage of slash fiction writers/readers you are going to end up with many more women slash fiction writers.

Put the two together and you are going to end up with a strong female teen basis, which is really just a side effect of a few other smaller things. As we can see with 50 Shades, take the fandom aspect out of it and put it in a format that is more easily accessible/understandable to older generations and they'll eat it up just like anybody else will.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #70608 on: February 24, 2015, 05:54:53 pm »

On an entirely unrelated note, every time I see GUNINANRUNIN's avatar, I can't stop watching.

Halp.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #70609 on: February 24, 2015, 05:55:36 pm »

I'm sorry taw, but there is no cure for kawai.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #70610 on: February 24, 2015, 06:03:51 pm »

It is somewhat enthralling.

Especially how wildly out of character it is.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #70611 on: February 24, 2015, 06:04:52 pm »

So, I was in the car with my dad on the way to work...
He says "Kal, I think the reason no drugs work on you is because your problems are due to you having to hide your real self from the world.
I think it's a weird quirk that your Facebook and Bay12 refer to you as female."
Me - Is he going to say he is okay with me being a girl?
Then he says "Did you know [Name of my old boss] is lesbian?
Then spends the rest of the car ride talking about the percentages of lesbians in physiotherapy. (Apparently 30% of all physiotherapists are lesbians.)

I just... What? Why can't he have a single conversation with me without ranting about how adrenaline works or something equally unhelpful?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #70612 on: February 24, 2015, 06:06:49 pm »

It is somewhat enthralling.

Especially how wildly out of character it is.
I don't even know what it is.

There's just something about the motion of the skirts that's just strangely hypnotic...
He says "Kal, I think the reason no drugs work on you is because your problems are due to you having to hide your real self from the world.
I think it's a weird quirk that your Facebook and Bay12 refer to you as female."
Then spends the rest of the car ride talking about the percentages of lesbians in physiotherapy. (Apparently 30% of all physiotherapists are lesbians.)

I just... What? Why can't he have a single conversation with me without ranting about how adrenaline works or something equally unhelpful?
Hey, on the bright side, he didn't try to elaborate on his insane troll logic or anything.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 06:08:27 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #70613 on: February 24, 2015, 06:10:46 pm »

That sounds suspiciously like an attempt to reach out that didn't quite make it, changing the subject when he couldn't quite manage to keep going. With time, this might lead to an important breakthrough.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70614 on: February 24, 2015, 06:59:28 pm »

Yea, he prob just dodged the subject in the last moment. He'll eventualy come around to it if thats what he's trying to do.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70615 on: February 24, 2015, 07:10:12 pm »

-shnüp-
Look at it this way: He's apparently noticed your situation, he has his problems with it but is trying to overcome them, he's even trying to tell you as much. So if there's ever any real trouble, any situation in which you'll need him to be there, to help you, he will. And that's what counts - everything else is just words.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70616 on: February 24, 2015, 07:25:56 pm »

Or he's actually insane.

ONE OF THE TWO! :D
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #70617 on: February 24, 2015, 07:35:51 pm »

Or he's actually insane.

ONE OF THE TWO! :D
Probably...
I mean, when he tried to get me to sleep better he just ranted about how adrenaline works, and then when my sleeping pills didn't work he started lecturing me about day/night cycles and their effects on mammals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #70618 on: February 24, 2015, 07:43:19 pm »

No real telling without more info, heh. I see similar behavior pretty often with some of my relatives when they're not really sure how to help someone out (they think need helping, anyway), and have recently read/heard some kind of (pseudo)medical jibberjabber they don't really understand. It can be a sort of clumsy, kinda' painful(ly awkward) attempt to help out. Sometimes.

Also possible es el loco, o'course. Das ist always an option.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #70619 on: February 24, 2015, 11:25:45 pm »

I think the point was that everyone has something to hide, and he doesn't mind (or at least tries to not mind) at least some of the things people usually hide, (in this case "lesbianism"), but he forgot his point halfway through and accidentally changed the subject. You could try bringing up the subject of your gender again sometime, as he (at least to me) hints of already knowing and being okay with it. A talk like that would be a fine time to take the cat out of the bag, should you find the bravery.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 4706 4707 [4708] 4709 4710 ... 11040