Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4704 4705 [4706] 4707 4708 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460104 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #70575 on: February 24, 2015, 12:17:09 pm »

dammit society just because it's in a book doesn't mean it's good material

* Xantalos shamelessly peddles his worship text
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #70576 on: February 24, 2015, 12:23:15 pm »

lrn2internet.
There's your problem, yes. Lot of people really can't wrap their heads around reading on a computer or non-published material. That and fanfiction stigmatization. 50 Shades is what happens when your fairly standard shitty lemon fic gets published. Take it off the internet, strip off the fanfiction label, and lo' and behold a style of writing that produces great pulsating heaps of non-published fiction is popular!

It's almost like things people like are things people like when they're framed appropriately >_>

Can't really say why people like 'em, though. Could probably make some WAGs, but eh.

... though really, Xant, you seem to have forgotten that 50 Shades was terrible online erotica. It's a twilight fanfic with the names filed off that managed to get off the internet.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70577 on: February 24, 2015, 12:27:08 pm »

Yeah, but how the hell did it even get off the internet?
HOW
HOOOOOOW
Sig! Onol

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #70578 on: February 24, 2015, 12:30:35 pm »

Personally I prefer the writings of the Marquis de Sade
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70579 on: February 24, 2015, 12:31:18 pm »

... though really, Xant, you seem to have forgotten that 50 Shades was terrible online erotica. It's a twilight fanfic with the names filed off that managed to get off the internet.
No wonder this sounded like the same sort of wtf twilight caused.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #70580 on: February 24, 2015, 12:32:16 pm »

I was playing a cookie-clicker style game on my tablet, when I suddenly got an achievement for typing in the konami code.
Wot

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #70581 on: February 24, 2015, 12:35:20 pm »

No wonder this sounded like the same sort of wtf twilight caused.
I'm reading that Let's Read, and the author even forgot to erase plot details from Twilight that were there; it's just a Ctrl+H.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70582 on: February 24, 2015, 12:46:14 pm »

Whats peculiar about 50 shades is how the hell did it actualy get so much promotion outside the internet in the first place?
Seriously, you can quite literally find about 400 similar and probably actualy somewhat well written romance/erotica series on amazon (many of them with hilarious covers). Yet none of them got a shred of the attention that 50 shades somehow got.

Seriously, even actualy BSDM inclined people say that the book is quite a bore and reads more like a young adult romance slash fanfiction than anything else.

I'm a firm believer that this sort of narrative is a lot more attractive to peole who dont read or even use the internet for anything other then facebook/twitter/emails, because if you use it for anything else, at one point, you'll inevitable stumble into screens upon screens of similar stuff.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #70583 on: February 24, 2015, 12:48:27 pm »

Seriously, even actualy BSDM inclined people say that the book is quite a bore and reads more like a young adult romance slash fanfiction than anything else.
It's probably less 'even' and more 'especially'; FSoG BDSM is to BDSM is what sparklepires are to vampires.

E: As an interesting observation, my mom, a quite intelligent and not repressed (thin walls in one of the old places we lived briefly >_>) surgeon, likes these books. As in, bought and read the entire series. And as I brought up my WTF upon learning this, what she said made me realize the appeal: it was new to her. It's essentially babby's first BDSM erotica for people, so they latch upon it.

I remember I had the same reaction while running into fantasy/SF for the first time: I didn't mind the fact that it was awful, because the things that were cliches or awkward writing - to me, weren't.

The characterization of the people it appeals to fits, however, but there's also the fact that most people wouldn't otherwise seek it out, it simply wasn't something they considered.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:58:33 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #70584 on: February 24, 2015, 12:51:42 pm »

I'm a firm believer that this sort of narrative is a lot more attractive to peole who dont read or even use the internet for anything other then facebook/twitter/emails,

So airheads, basically.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70585 on: February 24, 2015, 01:00:21 pm »

Reminder that this exists.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70586 on: February 24, 2015, 01:04:18 pm »

WTF is with Bay12's forum search? Why does a query that matches the title of a thread exactly return that thread as, like, the eighth result on the page?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70587 on: February 24, 2015, 01:06:21 pm »

Search the name of the thread OP along with the title.
Sig! Onol

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #70588 on: February 24, 2015, 01:07:49 pm »

reads more like a young adult romance slash fanfiction than anything else.
And that is a large portion of why it's popular. Young adult slash fiction is incredibly prolific for a reason. Stuff that reads like it is very likely to do well if it escapes from the clutches of the rabid yaoi writers and into society at large.

E: Though now I'm suddenly curious if anyone's bothered to try to track the internet's slash fiction output. How many words per day are being released online? Hundreds of thousands? Millions? It would be an interesting statistic to follow. It would be really interesting to see what kind of seasonal etc. variance there is, among a bunch of other stuff. Someone needs to write some kind of program that collects that data.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 01:13:12 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”
Pages: 1 ... 4704 4705 [4706] 4707 4708 ... 11040