Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4691 4692 [4693] 4694 4695 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14448989 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #70380 on: February 22, 2015, 04:23:11 am »

I was watching a seagull balancing on the point between landing and flight in the wind, and I knew exactly how it felt to be doing it. I've never done anything remotely like it, but I know exactly how it would feel.

The isn't the first time I've had such a disorienting flash of insight either.
Arx, is this you?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have no idea who this person is.

Greek philosophers.
According to legend, a bunch of Greek philosophers were once debating on how many teeth a horse has in its mouth. A farmer happened by and suggested they get a horse and count its teeth. The philosophers got angry and chased the farmer off.

Sounds about right. I mean, what does a poor farmer know?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #70381 on: February 22, 2015, 04:25:10 am »

By the looks of it, they seem to have thought that the host opened the goat door before the contestant picks, which is Very Wrong.
What the hell would even be the point of having that door then?
"Red herring" (direct quote)
i will not be surprised by the stupid i will not be surprised by the stupid
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #70382 on: February 22, 2015, 05:11:15 am »

I was watching a seagull balancing on the point between landing and flight in the wind, and I knew exactly how it felt to be doing it. I've never done anything remotely like it, but I know exactly how it would feel.

Arx, is this you?

I have no idea who this person is.
Asenath Waite. She's a character from H.P Lovecraft's The Thing on the Doorstep. People who looks at her in the eyes can see from her point of view.

...Now that I think of it, that makes her the seagull.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70383 on: February 22, 2015, 05:50:59 am »

Trying to watch a movie.

And for a rare thing I am trying REALLY hard to like it... But it seems to defy my please of goodness.

Only a hour to go, come on me! I can do it! Let the movie speak for itself.

I mean it was only a weak start. It can easily pick up.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70384 on: February 22, 2015, 06:01:19 am »

Well mirror neurons, which fire both during an action and while observing an action by another, are hypothesised to account for being able to observe an action and empathise with the actor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70385 on: February 22, 2015, 06:06:56 am »

As well the human mind is capable of those levels of imagination (as in, the mind is capable of registering drastically different stimuli then is possible for a human being).

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #70386 on: February 22, 2015, 06:16:42 am »

It's probably that.

One of those 'Top 10 X!' articles linked to another 'Top 10 X!' article as a source, which in turn linked to an online article... which wasn't there.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70387 on: February 22, 2015, 06:18:52 am »

One of those 'Top 10 X!' articles linked to another 'Top 10 X!' article as a source, which in turn linked to an online article... which wasn't there.
At least it wasn't a "How [POPULAR THING] is secretly [NEGATIVE ADJECTIVE]."
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70388 on: February 22, 2015, 07:25:39 am »

Ok I have recovered. I was really looking forward to that movie and I heard it was bad... but I really liked the source material so I was hoping it was just a under-rated movie or at least underwhelming (as opposed to "missed the point")
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:08:00 am by Neonivek »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #70389 on: February 22, 2015, 08:35:57 am »

They listed a source? I always assumed those kind of articles just made shit up.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #70390 on: February 22, 2015, 08:39:56 am »

It was a reliable site running a sketchy-looking article.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70391 on: February 22, 2015, 11:24:50 am »

I still don't understand the Monty Hall problem.  It's not that I doubt it - I've followed it step by step and sure enough switching is better.  I understand it's better to basically pick a door *not* to open, since that gives a 2/3 chance of success.  It still seems really weird that switch accomplishes that, mechanically.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70392 on: February 22, 2015, 11:28:05 am »

I still don't understand the Monty Hall problem.  It's not that I doubt it - I've followed it step by step and sure enough switching is better.  I understand it's better to basically pick a door *not* to open, since that gives a 2/3 chance of success.  It still seems really weird that switch accomplishes that, mechanically.

It is just taught badly, don't worry.... Like almost all math... and science... and history... and well everything you learn in school.

Seriously if there is one thing I dislike about school it is the whole "We will teach you the wrong way, until we think you are ready for the less wrong way" mentality.

But there are many ways to understand it.

Another way to think about it is that you are actually given two options.
1) You can chose 1 out of 3 doors, only 1 is right.
2) You can chose 2 out of 3 doors and only 1 is right.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:34:07 am by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70393 on: February 22, 2015, 11:29:38 am »

They still started the war. I'm not arguing that it wasn't justified, or that I wouldn't have advocated for it, but that doesn't change the fact that Israel attacked first. Which was, incidentally, damned fine work -- they prosecuted that war damned near perfectly. However, you're missing the point I was driving at. Not only did Israel manage to pull that off, they did it in six days with absurdly imbalanced losses. They're also an unofficial nuclear power. Things are well past the point where Israel's survival as a state is in question. That's all more or less irrelevant to the real issue.

I don't really have anything against Zionism in principle (though it's laughable to call what happened after the last, successful revolt against British rule anything but ethnic cleansing). But AIPAC is arguably the strongest lobby in the U.S., which is a pretty damned strong statement, considering how much weight a number of interest groups have. And that's what it comes down to; I don't particularly like home-grown interest groups and lobbyists having that much power, but when they're explicitly working for the interests of a foreign power? Hah, no. Can you imagine the fucking uproar if there was a successful, public lobby for supporting, say, Russian interests? (There wouldn't be one, because a lobby which enjoys that degree of success can suppress a hell of a lot.)

I wasn't responding to you so much as I was working out frustration over the number of times I've heard people with a tiny bit of knowledge of the issue declaring the Six Days War an unprovoked massacre of the poor, innocent. defenseless Arabs by Big Bad Israel, or denying that Israel ever was (at any point in history) in any genuine of being overrun and destroyed. It's an example of what I call the "Might Makes Wrong" fallacy that seems to lead a lot of people assuming that the stronger party in any dispute is automatically in the wrong, because "obviously" the weaker party wouldn't start things, never mind that the stronger one might be stronger specifically *because* of the dispute in question.

Fair enough. I've heard that brand of stupidity often enough to sympathize. Though, despite it holding true in this case, we should also steer clear of assuming that "threatening action" is always a valid casus belli for a preemptive strike. The really scary vision of the Middle East for me is for proof positive of an Iranian nuclear weapons program to emerge at the same time that a far-right government is holding the keys in Israel. One would hope they'd take the enlightened path of Pakistan and India and just slaughter each other conventionally and/or make threatening gestures over the border without escalating completely, but you never know for sure.

The real miracle would be a second revolution in Iran.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:31:16 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70394 on: February 22, 2015, 11:34:36 am »

Think of it this day.  Instead of three doors, you have one hundred.  You pick one, and the host opens 98 doors.  Your door still has a 1% chance to be correct, but the one other door still there has a 99% chance. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 4691 4692 [4693] 4694 4695 ... 11040