Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3558 3559 [3560] 3561 3562 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460309 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #53385 on: July 06, 2014, 07:14:38 pm »

Nah, see, what the end result of video game AI is, is when we get to the point where we basically have a Her-style (non-[spoiler]ing style, or at least one that doesn't ditch us like a bunch of ungrateful cunts) AI on each of our desktops, and we just play our games player against our specific AI.

Not only will they be able to learn and adapt to the game as well or better than a human could, but as personal AI, they learn and adapt to our specific meta (the way we ourselves play games), and be able to work with that as well. Plus, as an actual entity, you can have someone to talk to [and blame] and have a good time with.

At that point, programmers won't bother coding over-all AI, just individual unit AI.

I doubt we'll have AI in each of our games that is self-learning, but instead the programmers just rely on the AI we'll each have for our own personal use.

(I highly doubt we'll have a single AI for humanity in general, unless the really strange singularity ideas where-in the very first AI goes run-away and becomes god-like before any other AI comes into existence are true.)

And at this point everyone stops going outside and having human contact because we all have a specific AI to interact with and be friends with instead. What a time to be alive.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53386 on: July 06, 2014, 07:24:51 pm »

Nah, see, what the end result of video game AI is, is when we get to the point where we basically have a Her-style (non-[spoiler]ing style, or at least one that doesn't ditch us like a bunch of ungrateful cunts) AI on each of our desktops, and we just play our games player against our specific AI.

Not only will they be able to learn and adapt to the game as well or better than a human could, but as personal AI, they learn and adapt to our specific meta (the way we ourselves play games), and be able to work with that as well. Plus, as an actual entity, you can have someone to talk to [and blame] and have a good time with.

At that point, programmers won't bother coding over-all AI, just individual unit AI.

I doubt we'll have AI in each of our games that is self-learning, but instead the programmers just rely on the AI we'll each have for our own personal use.

(I highly doubt we'll have a single AI for humanity in general, unless the really strange singularity ideas where-in the very first AI goes run-away and becomes god-like before any other AI comes into existence are true.)

And at this point everyone stops going outside and having human contact because we all have a specific AI to interact with and be friends with instead. What a time to be alive.
No, you see, at this point the AI all go bonkers because of sensory deprivation.
._.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #53387 on: July 06, 2014, 08:50:30 pm »

My opinion is that computers are stupid, and the idea that an AI could not only be a convincing opponent outside of a very specific type of game, but in multiple different games at the same time, seems hopelessly optimistic.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53388 on: July 06, 2014, 08:58:32 pm »

That's because true AI doesn't exist. What you call "AI" is just a fairly limited program. True AI would, for all intents and purposes, be a thinking, reasoning being not unlike us, albeit with a different perspective on the world due to differing sensory organs and self-awareness from the moment of 'birth', as well as potentially different ethical and emotional frameworks, assuming that it is not created with an existing human-analogue personality. AKA a person that happens to exist on computer hardware instead of bundles of nerve cells.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #53389 on: July 06, 2014, 09:02:16 pm »

In unrelated WTF-ery I noticed that I was mentally reading the TV Tropes page on political ideologies in the voice of Dennis the peasant from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53390 on: July 06, 2014, 09:10:49 pm »

That's because true AI doesn't exist. What you call "AI" is just a fairly limited program. True AI would, for all intents and purposes, be a thinking, reasoning being not unlike us, albeit with a different perspective on the world due to differing sensory organs and self-awareness from the moment of 'birth', as well as potentially different ethical and emotional frameworks, assuming that it is not created with an existing human-analogue personality. AKA a person that happens to exist on computer hardware instead of bundles of nerve cells.
Aye, so when we have that, pretty sure we'd play games with them, especially if they're a personal AI, rather than rely on the kludge we got now to simulate AI.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #53391 on: July 06, 2014, 09:22:40 pm »

Yup.  Modern computer programs just read from a script.  They read that script really fast, and can be made to act random or unpredictable in such a way that might hide the fact that they're reading from a script.  They might be made to imitate a human.  But in the end, they are literally just a machine that follows instructions to the letter and grinds to a squealing halt whenever it receives instructions it can't understand.

If AI were to exist, it would be fundamentally different from a modern computer program.  Which is why I don't think one will exist anytime soon.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #53392 on: July 06, 2014, 09:26:38 pm »

You know, people also said that when people tried to make rockets to space.

okay our existing rockets still suck in the cosmic scale but that's neither here nor there.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53393 on: July 06, 2014, 09:28:26 pm »

Yeah, but we don't really know what causes human consciousness to be so flexible as that. Maybe we just have a *really* big database of scripts. *

Hell, on an anecdotal note, I can think of a few people who aren't so flexible and act pretty much like a computer program that way, grinding to a halt if they meet new, unexpected information or circumstance. >_>

* Could be wrong. But I haven't heard anything about us knowing why.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53394 on: July 06, 2014, 09:37:21 pm »

Could just be that there is no base programming besides the biology setting the specs of the system (like processing speed, inputs and outputs, and similar things, hormones, stuff along those lines and it is all improvised otherwise.

Similar biology could make for similar outputs, which is why humans tend to have a similar thinking pattern.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53395 on: July 06, 2014, 09:45:50 pm »

Well we know there is *some* base programming, as babies do have some instincts, such as instinct suckling of the mother.

Dunno if there are any instincts evidenced in the womb, but it wouldn't terribly surprise me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #53396 on: July 06, 2014, 10:26:48 pm »

Pink Floyd announced they'll be releasing a new album.  Not sure how I feel about this.  I actually didn't care that much for The Division Bell.  And it's material that was written and involves recordings from around that period.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53397 on: July 06, 2014, 10:58:52 pm »

Pink Floyd announced they'll be releasing a new album.  Not sure how I feel about this.  I actually didn't care that much for The Division Bell.  And it's material that was written and involves recordings from around that period.
Yeah, it strikes me as crazy cashgrabby to release it now as opposed to when it was made, and I kind of liked The Division Bell. Of course, there's so little useful information on it that I'll withhold further judgement for now.

Of course, Weird Al is releasing probably his last studio album this month and I'm waiting for that too.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #53398 on: July 06, 2014, 11:02:35 pm »

Of course, Weird Al is releasing probably his last studio album this month and I'm waiting for that too.

What?!  Why the fuck would he stop now?  He doesn't even look like he's aged past 30 :P
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53399 on: July 06, 2014, 11:34:13 pm »

Awww Weird Al is stopping?
Pages: 1 ... 3558 3559 [3560] 3561 3562 ... 11040