Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3436 3437 [3438] 3439 3440 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443711 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #51555 on: June 15, 2014, 01:19:10 pm »

Was entering the building I live in today, walking in after a couple that lives in another part of the building. Suddenly a grey cat just dashes out of nowhere and out into the street. Gave me quite a scare, and I guess someone just lost their pet cat.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51556 on: June 15, 2014, 02:24:42 pm »

What did GWG do? I respect that Toady is conservative with his bans, unlike most forum admins I've encountered in my time on the internet, but I don't appreciate how he also tends to be above-averagely opaque about the reasons. Deletes the offending posts so we can't see what went wrong, and distills the reason for the ban to one short sentence that could encompass a huge variety of behaviors.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51557 on: June 15, 2014, 02:30:06 pm »

What did GWG do? I respect that Toady is conservative with his bans, unlike most forum admins I've encountered in my time on the internet, but I don't appreciate how he also tends to be above-averagely opaque about the reasons. Deletes the offending posts so we can't see what went wrong, and distills the reason for the ban to one short sentence that could encompass a huge variety of behaviors.

Toady isn't opaque at all about GWG's ban.

I just removed another giant insult-ridden argument between GWG and somebody.  This despite at least seven warnings and a few mutes for this very infraction.  I'm tired of cleaning up after GWG, so GWG has been banned.  Please adjust your games as necessary.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51558 on: June 15, 2014, 02:35:03 pm »

I just removed another giant insult-ridden argument between GWG and somebody.  This despite at least seven warnings and a few mutes for this very infraction.  I'm tired of cleaning up after GWG, so GWG has been banned.  Please adjust your games as necessary.

He says there was an "insult-ridden argument between GWG and 'somebody'". We don't know who somebody is, or what was said, or who started it, or a number of other important factors in determining whether Toady's decision was justified.

In this particular case, I don't doubt that GWG really did insult someone to the degree where it would be ban-worthy, but this is a good opportunity for me to point out a significant issue with these forums' moderation even in comparison to certain other forums whose mods I'm not a fan of.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #51559 on: June 15, 2014, 02:41:12 pm »

He says there was an "insult-ridden argument between GWG and 'somebody'". We don't know who somebody is, or what was said, or who started it, or a number of other important factors in determining whether Toady's decision was justified.

In this particular case, I don't doubt that GWG really did insult someone to the degree where it would be ban-worthy, but this is a good opportunity for me to point out a significant issue with these forums' moderation even in comparison to certain other forums whose mods I'm not a fan of.
> Rolepgeek.
> Arguments about the American Civil War [heresay on my part]. Spanning ~80+ posts [or ~2 pages with 50 posts per page as far as I heard]
> Does it matter who started it -_-
> Important other factors? You did note while it's been talked about in the thread in question, This happened?

I'd like no more talk of it though. PM Toady if you've got positive criticism. :D

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51560 on: June 15, 2014, 02:44:23 pm »

Everyone who has participated in forum games with him has probably seen him misbehaving at one point or another, and those are the only people who really have relevant opinions here -- if you didn't interact with him and weren't involved in any instances where he was warned or muted, you don't really have much room to talk about it. In addition, every other ban and mute I've seen in threads I've been active in has been much the same way: someone was out of line, Toady cleaned it up and made a post summarizing what happened and why, and everyone in the thread knew what was going on. Anything else would be excessive -- posting a long diatribe full of quotations would both be rather tasteless and set the wrong tone. It's not some sort of secret police conspiracy, it's handling problems without blowing them up into spectacles. Also what Tiruin said.

That aside, the petition thread already ran its course, so let's maybe not start filling the "X Today" threads with spillover, keep it to PMs eh?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #51561 on: June 15, 2014, 04:52:31 pm »

I was always annoyed whenever he started arguing, but as soon as it was over I'd unconsciously forgive him.

I miss him..

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51562 on: June 15, 2014, 04:58:26 pm »

I was always annoyed whenever he started arguing, but as soon as it was over I'd unconsciously forgive him.

I miss him..
So, he was like that MAGMA guy?
._.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #51563 on: June 15, 2014, 05:03:59 pm »

I miss him..
I don't know who that is.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51564 on: June 15, 2014, 05:08:02 pm »

I miss him..
He was commonly seen shouting MAAAGMAAAA in various unrelated topics. He was bannen before DF2012.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51565 on: June 15, 2014, 05:18:54 pm »

God damn, I leave for a week and we necro Necro and someone gets banned.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51566 on: June 15, 2014, 05:28:04 pm »

I miss him..
He was commonly seen shouting MAAAGMAAAA in various unrelated topics. He was bannen before DF2012.
That was Necro, wasn't it?
Yeah, that was Necro910. If someone on the upper boards posted "Necro, do the thing", you could pretty much guarantee that Necro910 would have the next post.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #51567 on: June 15, 2014, 05:33:39 pm »

Oh dear lord he asked him to do it.

I would be quite amused if he somehow, despite the impossibility of it, did post :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51568 on: June 15, 2014, 05:45:53 pm »

At least Necro's schtick was only mildly annoying instead of directly and personally annoying. But I did have something of the same habit as GUNIN, probably because GWG was genuinely helpful while we were setting up for that 3.5 kobold campaign of Han's that got about one turn into the first encounter before abruptly ending.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51569 on: June 15, 2014, 05:52:01 pm »

I oppose the ban yet respect it much the same way with Necro and DrPoo in that it's a saddening event from a forumite we'll miss, yet you can't complain much about the fairness of the judgement, only in how final the judgement is. GwG was constructive as hell, shame he had to get the ban ham.
Pages: 1 ... 3436 3437 [3438] 3439 3440 ... 11040