Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3339 3340 [3341] 3342 3343 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14439948 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #50100 on: May 25, 2014, 12:37:37 am »

Sod that. If I cvould send a guy into space, I'm not wasting it on some dumbass. I'd go me bloody self.

I really, really want to go into space. Not any of this bullshit almost-space, either. Proper space.
Hear hear! Why waste time and resources sending someone who will never be convinced when folks like you and me genuinely want to go?
Just build a railgun, and attach it to a nuclear reactor. Then send him out with the nuclear waste launch. Aimed at the sun.

Don't shoot anything but helium or hydrogen into the sun. Heavier atoms speed up the decay of our star by creating more heavy atoms. Once the star starts producing iron, we're fucked. So let's not go shooting things into the sun, because it will seriously fuck up some of our grandx2500-kids' day.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50101 on: May 25, 2014, 12:42:51 am »

if they haven't figured out that they need to get off this planet it's their own damn fault the sun stops shining

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50102 on: May 25, 2014, 12:50:21 am »

Sod that. If I cvould send a guy into space, I'm not wasting it on some dumbass. I'd go me bloody self.

I really, really want to go into space. Not any of this bullshit almost-space, either. Proper space.
Hear hear! Why waste time and resources sending someone who will never be convinced when folks like you and me genuinely want to go?
Just build a railgun, and attach it to a nuclear reactor. Then send him out with the nuclear waste launch. Aimed at the sun.

Don't shoot anything but helium or hydrogen into the sun. Heavier atoms speed up the decay of our star by creating more heavy atoms. Once the star starts producing iron, we're fucked. So let's not go shooting things into the sun, because it will seriously fuck up some of our grandx2500-kids' day.

Now I'm wondering how much we'd need to shoot into the sun to seriously affect it. Because, that totally sounds like some masterminds plan to destroy all life on Earth. That would make an interesting movie.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50103 on: May 25, 2014, 01:16:00 am »

Well, considering the Sun holds 99.9% of the mass in the solar system... You could probably toss a Jupiter or twos worth of heavy elements in the sun and have nothing happen.

Hell, you could probably toss everything from Mercury to the Oort Cloud and MAYBE make the Sun burp.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #50104 on: May 25, 2014, 01:19:12 am »

Yeah, the "shooting heavy things into the sun will speed up its decay" isn't true unless you happen to have a lump of nickel or iron lying around that happens to be about thirty times the mass of Jupiter.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50105 on: May 25, 2014, 01:38:28 am »

Yeah... the mass of the sun is 2x1030 kg. Firing anything in the solar system at it is not going to make a difference. By mass there is probably more Oxygen, Carbon, Nitrogen, Silicon, Magnesium, Neon, Iron and Sulphur in the Sun than in the rest of the solar system
This is a blank sig.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50106 on: May 25, 2014, 03:18:49 am »

I'll eat just about anything, and I love lemon-lime soda. But that cake was absolute shite.

Cake tends to be lackluster at best. Most cake is just sugar flavored.

And I have a sweet tooth like no other (I could eat a Banana Split EVERYDAY) but I dislike the taste of sugar.
Well clearly someone's never had a good cake.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50107 on: May 25, 2014, 03:26:56 am »

There is no such thing. Cake is an abomination of a concept and to be murderised on sight, violently so if possible.

* Darvi munches on some biscuits.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #50108 on: May 25, 2014, 03:38:27 am »

There is no such thing. Cake is an abomination of a concept and to be murderised on sight, violently so if possible.
I hate you. There are many kinds of good cake. Like carrot cake, or jaffa cakes.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50109 on: May 25, 2014, 03:47:13 am »

Jaffa? Where?!

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50110 on: May 25, 2014, 04:12:16 am »

I've had plenty of good cakes. It's just 7-up cake is not among the good cakes I've had.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #50111 on: May 25, 2014, 04:13:13 am »

I don't like fluffy cakes. Solid, brownie-ish cakes are okay by me.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #50112 on: May 25, 2014, 05:06:30 am »

Actually, it's not oxygen that's the problem, it's sugars. The brain consumes quite a lot of those.

Not sure though.
You might be more right than I am, I'm not really sure. Makes sense though.

Technically we get energy from the sugar by oxidizing it. The chemical reaction doesn't care which reagent is deficient; if you don't got enough sugar and enough oxygen to make enough energy to continue working, you don't work. And also die.

Question then is whether or not tissues in the brain can perform anaerobic respiration, and I honestly don't know.

All tissues can. That's the problem. Anaerobic respiration in humans creates lactic acid as a waste byproduct, which is then further oxidated and used up for energy once the oxygen is restored - that's why you are sometimes told to exercise if your muscles are sore.

The thing is, lactic acid is harmful if it builds up, and furthermore anaerobic respiration is hilariously inefficient - it creates SIXTEEN times fewer energy from a single molecule of sugar. When the energy runs short, all the energy-dependent proteins - including enzymes - stop working, and the processes keeping your cells alive stop.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50113 on: May 25, 2014, 06:19:58 am »

I stand by my point that Jaffa Cakes are not cakes, and the same goes for cheesecake.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50114 on: May 25, 2014, 06:21:34 am »

Cheesecake is delicious. Its status as cake is irrelevant. Names are unnecessary for culinary joy made succulently manifest.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 3339 3340 [3341] 3342 3343 ... 11040