Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3199 3200 [3201] 3202 3203 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14430331 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #48000 on: April 26, 2014, 11:10:03 am »

Aaah, twisting the numbers in the finest sense! That's horrible.

I'm a bit confused though- are we talking about gun deaths, or murders? Does "stand your ground" count as murder? Murder as a social definition, or as a judicial one? Florida department of law enforcement, why?
In US law there's this whole "duty to retreat" thing. Where basically in many states you're considered obligated to escape from a violent situation before you use lethal force. Basically even if someone is attacking you, it doesn't mean you're free to just shoot and kill them.

The "stand your ground" law Florida passed basically said you're allowed to use lethal force without being obligated to retreat first if you believe it is necessary to prevent someone from committing a "forcible felony" (A term which covers all forms of battery, murder, robbery, and destruction of property).

There was a spike in gun deaths following this law, including the very high profile Trayvon Martin case.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48001 on: April 26, 2014, 11:14:26 am »

Well if you tell people that they can shoot other people on suspicion of assault, of course there will be a spike in gun deaths. It's kinda wierd that any government will allow its citizent to just randomly kill each other like this.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48002 on: April 26, 2014, 11:16:43 am »

Florida is built on weird, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48003 on: April 26, 2014, 11:24:01 am »

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48004 on: April 26, 2014, 11:52:31 am »

Fucking Florida Man, man.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48005 on: April 26, 2014, 12:02:11 pm »

I live in Florida. 
This is why I don't go outside.  I get enough crazy seeping in through the windows and during my trips to the corner store thanks.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48006 on: April 26, 2014, 12:15:01 pm »

I don't keep up on politics much, but someone linked me to a picture of this graph:
If you're like me it might take you a minute to notice what's wrong with the graph.

Reuters, I am dissapoint. I mean, I could understand FOX news pulling a stunt like that to keep the rabid right wing happy, but Reuters? I mean, yes, the graph was probably provided to them like that by the FL Dept of Law Enforcement, but how hard is it to show the data in the correct manner?
This is a blank sig.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48007 on: April 26, 2014, 12:22:28 pm »

It took me a minute to notice what's wrong.

Now, who the hell ever makes a graph upside-down?
._.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48008 on: April 26, 2014, 12:35:39 pm »

Well, last time I saw one like that was on FOX news during the US election, where they were clearly trying to show US unemployment rising under Obama after falling under Bush - the only thing is that the data didnt show what they wanted so of course inverting the axis was the only thing to do...
This is a blank sig.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48009 on: April 26, 2014, 12:37:10 pm »

I live in Florida. 
This is why I don't go outside.  I get enough crazy seeping in through the windows and during my trips to the corner store thanks.
This person gets it.

Also it is too hot. Which is probably half the reason it's as crazy as it is. The other half is a mix of low income and drugs.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48010 on: April 26, 2014, 12:42:18 pm »

Politicians, Fox news, and people who are incredibly insistant that their way is the right way and you're stupid.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48011 on: April 26, 2014, 12:43:55 pm »

Politicians, Fox news, and people who are incredibly insistant that their way is the right way and you're stupid.
Though I think in that case, it's mostly so they can pull the "blood dripping from the walls" thing. Which is kinda' neat, artistically, but terrible, statistically.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48012 on: April 26, 2014, 12:57:59 pm »

Why isn't there a religion based around ϕ yet?

Because that'd be like basing a religion around the square root of two. Sure, it's got some interesting properties (it's the intersection point of a sine and cosine! Its inverse plus its imaginary inverse has an absolute value of 1!), but these values are mostly the same thing when you think about it and it's not much of an interesting number otherwise.
But the Golden Ratio is literally everywhere.

Not in as many places as a lot of other, similar constants, like 1 or 2 or sqrt(2).

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48013 on: April 26, 2014, 12:59:54 pm »

Though I think in that case, it's mostly so they can pull the "blood dripping from the walls" thing. Which is kinda' neat, artistically, but terrible, statistically.
I read that too in the article, and all I could think of was "That would have worked if it had actually LOOKED like blood!"

They half-assed it, basically. Either make it blood-drips falling from the ceiling, or don't invert it. Don't invert it without making it bloody!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #48014 on: April 26, 2014, 01:00:17 pm »

You've obviously never graphed absorbance.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 3199 3200 [3201] 3202 3203 ... 11039