Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3093 3094 [3095] 3096 3097 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14456562 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #46410 on: March 27, 2014, 03:16:51 pm »

Yeah as for complaints about needing repairs, as long as the castle has just one room that's livable you've still got the same living space as the equivalent-price apartment. Now it's just a matter of whether you value being out in the country vs. being in the city: plenty of people prefer the country but I can see the price of land in the city being higher regardless. But to counter the repair argument completely, let's just say you don't buy one of THOSE castles, you buy a smaller one that also needs repairs. Say, 1/6th the square footage and acreage. You spend 1/6th of the price, spend 5x that repairing it, and it's now a beautiful castle in the country that's still 10x the square footage as the apartment in NY. This also reduces the staff and support needed to maintain it.

So now we have a comparison of equal price and equal dilapidation.

Except that it's a castle, vs. an apartment, and I challenge anyone to say the repaired castle is just as nice as the apartment on the inside. The quality is much better.

Second, the castle has 10x the square footage. It also has grounds, meaning parking is never a challenge.

Taking those two into consideration, the castle wins out easily. But we still have the "city living" vs. "country living" argument. In the country you're far from anything. You're driving half an hour to go see a movie or go shopping, and your commute to work is going to be pretty long. Then again, many people live in the city and have commutes to a neighboring city. There's also problems in the city of getting your car out of parking, dealing with traffic, getting where you're going, and finding parking again. The same trip to go see a movie could be a simple stroll or bicycle ride of 10 minutes. At rush hour I could see it taking an hour to get across town in NY.

There's also a stronger music and arts culture in NY than the English countryside. If you enjoy seeing plays and such, you're going to have a much better variety  in the city. You'll also have a lot more interesting people around. The night life is definitely better. But now we're getting into personal preference: are you the kind of person who goes out to museums, nightclubs, and art galleries on a weekly basis?

Basically I see it boiling down to this:

Castle: 10x the size, is an awesome castle, away from people, clean air and no noise
Apartment: Commutes are 1/3 to 1/6 the length, near lots of fun people

Based on that I'm pretty sure I'd pick the castle. But then again I don't think I'd go that far on either side: I'm not a big-town kinda guy.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46411 on: March 27, 2014, 03:19:35 pm »

You could also produce additional income by opening it for tours and only living in part of the castle.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #46412 on: March 27, 2014, 03:22:23 pm »

I'm pretty sure that in case of the big castles, you, as owner, will be held responsible for maintenance and repairs, considering these are historically important buildings.

Also, there's the great benefit of living in Europe, rather than NY-City.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46413 on: March 27, 2014, 03:23:21 pm »

Let me boil the argument down to the most crucial aspect:

Castle: IS A CASTLE.

Castle wins.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46414 on: March 27, 2014, 03:25:43 pm »

Castles are symbols of oppressive aristocratic social orders that I as an American oppose.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46415 on: March 27, 2014, 03:27:48 pm »

A guy near me built his own castle. He holds a Renaissance festival every year around it. Has all kinds of cool shit in there too. I think he lives there with his wife.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #46416 on: March 27, 2014, 03:27:49 pm »

Redking gets it.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #46417 on: March 27, 2014, 03:30:26 pm »

If I had money for that, I would build a fortress in Ural mountains using, say, worked-out mines as a beginning. And there I would leave, in a art-deco tower above it.

Castles are symbols of oppressive aristocratic social orders that I as an American oppose.
Being Russian I approve castles.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46418 on: March 27, 2014, 03:36:26 pm »

You can be all patriotic and shit. On the OTHER SIDE of my moat.

EDIT: Not to mention.....$5 million apartments in New York City are symbols of oppressive capitalism that I as an American oppose.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46419 on: March 27, 2014, 03:39:14 pm »

Being Russian I approve castles.
...I'm not even going to get into the historical implications of this.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46420 on: March 27, 2014, 03:40:42 pm »

If Janet ever won one of those 100+ million dollar lotterys, I'd totally convince her to move with me into castle number 5. We'd still have enough money left to start making our own money with investments, hire a staff and just live lazy for the rest of forever.
Can apply for your castle staff?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #46421 on: March 27, 2014, 03:42:39 pm »

I'm an american and I approve of castles.

I mean it's a fucking castle.

Can apply for your castle staff?

Can you run fast? Janet has been complaining about how boring plinking at stationary targets at the range here is.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46422 on: March 27, 2014, 03:42:44 pm »

You can be all patriotic and shit. On the OTHER SIDE of my moat.

EDIT: Not to mention.....$5 million apartments in New York City are symbols of oppressive capitalism that I as an American oppose.
Sounds like its revolution time, I hope you like executions.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #46423 on: March 27, 2014, 04:20:56 pm »

Anyone can potentially enjoy a beheading: it's all in the execution.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46424 on: March 27, 2014, 04:25:54 pm »

Something must have crawled up my step-dad's ass today, because he's being louder than usual. Yelling over absolutely nothing.

He also tried to get his employee to clean our backyard, collecting and piling up all of the loose sticks. With a weed whacker. I don't know how that would work.
Pages: 1 ... 3093 3094 [3095] 3096 3097 ... 11040