Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3011 3012 [3013] 3014 3015 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443921 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #45180 on: March 04, 2014, 08:20:08 pm »

Bay12: spontaneously generating conversation on the philosophy of objects
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #45181 on: March 04, 2014, 08:24:59 pm »

http://www.fstdt.com/QuoteComment.aspx?QID=99696

This guy was in government!?

America, stop letting people with severe mental trauma help run your country in a large way!

We were just taking cues from all those European leaders who ate mercury to cure their syphilis, sorry! It turned out so great for you guys that we figured we should try it too.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45182 on: March 04, 2014, 08:31:45 pm »

Forum Mafia keeping me up until 0130.
y u do dis 2 me timezones
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45183 on: March 04, 2014, 08:33:49 pm »

I suspect that part of the problem is that the closest thing the US has known to a genuine tyrant was George III (I suppose that a case could be made against Adams, Jackson, or Lincoln), and the British rule at the end of the Colonial period was more "utterly incompetent" then it was "actively repressive". Having never had a Hitler or Cromwell, but being institutionally paranoid of developing one, has lead many of us to be unable to tell the difference between "disagrees with our political viewpoint" and "intends to enslave us all and crush us under his iron boots." Combine that with the fact that one of the major ruling parties has been in decline since at least the 1920s (and probably since the 1870s), and you have the makings of a very, very polarized political battlefield that encourages extreme positions.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #45184 on: March 04, 2014, 08:35:31 pm »

I suspect that part of the problem is that the closest thing the US has known to a genuine tyrant was George III (I suppose that a case could be made against Adams, Jackson, or Lincoln), and the British rule at the end of the Colonial period was more "utterly incompetent" then it was "actively repressive". Having never had a Hitler or Cromwell, but being institutionally paranoid of developing one, has lead many of us to be unable to tell the difference between "disagrees with our political viewpoint" and "intends to enslave us all and crush us under his iron boots." Combine that with the fact that one of the major ruling parties has been in decline since at least the 1920s (and probably since the 1870s), and you have the makings of a very, very polarized political battlefield that encourages extreme positions.
I 100% agree with you.
(Actually I don't know about to agree about the political party decline thing but I just wanted to start out with an extreme position)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45185 on: March 04, 2014, 08:38:24 pm »

http://www.fstdt.com/QuoteComment.aspx?QID=99696

This guy was in government!?

America, stop letting people with severe mental trauma help run your country in a large way!
I like Delays name for all the joke fodder it provides. Like the new Long Delay International Airport on the Texas-Louisiana border.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #45187 on: March 04, 2014, 09:23:56 pm »

Google wants me to add Tarn Adams on Google+.

I deleted G+ thrice already. Bugger off plox.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45188 on: March 04, 2014, 09:39:31 pm »

I'd argue against the inclusion of Lincoln on that list (or, if we do include him, we also include all the more modern presidents who abuse wartime powers), given that his handling of the suspension of habeas corpus was fairly remarkable insofar as that he went out of his way to avoid abusing it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #45189 on: March 04, 2014, 09:40:40 pm »

Habues Corpus? Isn't that a disease in Morrowind?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #45190 on: March 04, 2014, 09:53:56 pm »

Swollen and aching little toe woke me at 5 :( I needed that sleep, you know...

I took a tylenol but I'm not sure if it's merely a stubbed toe or an ingrown nail, which requires pointy needle injections and bandages.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45191 on: March 04, 2014, 09:56:28 pm »

Not sure if srs. If so.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #45192 on: March 04, 2014, 09:59:24 pm »

I'd argue against the inclusion of Lincoln on that list (or, if we do include him, we also include all the more modern presidents who abuse wartime powers), given that his handling of the suspension of habeas corpus was fairly remarkable insofar as that he went out of his way to avoid abusing it.

Quote from: The Constitution
The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it.

Lincoln didn't really do anything unconstitutional by suspending habeas corpus.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #45193 on: March 04, 2014, 10:01:00 pm »

Not sure if srs. If so.
Europeans literally think freedom is a disease!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45194 on: March 04, 2014, 10:02:32 pm »

I said that one could make a case, not that it was a particularly strong one. Indeed, the weakness of this case is a primary point in what I am trying to say. If that is the closest we can come to a domestic tyrant, we've been shockingly lucky.

@FearfulJesuit

By modern Constitutional understanding, you're quite correct. In the legal environment of the time, and most particularly the legal judgement of Chief Justice Taney, the prevailing opinion was that only Congress had that power.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 3011 3012 [3013] 3014 3015 ... 11040