Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2342 2343 [2344] 2345 2346 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14438385 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #35145 on: July 19, 2013, 06:36:53 am »

You know as long as they have some level of understanding that their beliefs are designed to annoy somebody else and have no actual merit to them, I don't have a problem with that. At least it is honest, in a twisted kind of way.

Also, playing The Swapper has left me with a sense that as my text moves across, I need to make sure it doesn't fuck some other text somewhere else up. Need to get out of that mindset.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35146 on: July 19, 2013, 06:39:11 am »

Not necessary Christian, it works in Jewish and Islamic context just as well.

That's true.  It's easy for someone who grew up in Indiana surrounded by bible thumpers to forget that.  Abrahamic, then :P

You know as long as they have some level of understanding that their beliefs are designed to annoy somebody else and have no actual merit to them, I don't have a problem with that. At least it is honest, in a twisted kind of way.

I wouldn't necessarily call it that.  Coming from a Christian culture (and it is American in origin, so the cultural roots are Christian) it makes sense that there would be divergence, where some respond to their upbringings based on worship and suppression of desire by seeking self-liberation.  Doesn't mean their belief system is intended solely to annoy somebody else, and I don't know specifics but I can see how it might have its own merits.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:44:57 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35147 on: July 19, 2013, 06:49:00 am »

Not necessary Christian, it works in Jewish and Islamic context just as well.

That's true.  It's easy for someone who grew up in Indiana surrounded by bible thumpers to forget that.  Abrahamic, then :P

I wouldn't necessarily call it that.  Coming from a Christian culture (and it is American in origin, so the cultural roots are Christian) it makes sense that there would be divergence, where some respond to their upbringings based on worship and suppression of desire by seeking self-liberation.  Doesn't mean their belief system is intended solely to annoy somebody else, and I don't know specifics but I can see how it might have its own merits.

Purely on a historical level here, but I wonder what the sociological reasons for the split in Judaism to Christianity were. (Really just thinking out loud here, goes to read wikipedia).
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35148 on: July 19, 2013, 06:58:41 am »

Are you implying that Christianity was the ye olde equivalente to Satanism to 1st century Jews?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35149 on: July 19, 2013, 07:06:48 am »

Well I'm under the impression that Christianity splintered off from Judaism as the Christians considered Jesus to be the messiah, while Jews maintain he was merely a prophet. I honestly don't know for sure, I never payed much attention in that class.
I have no idea how Judaism and Islam split. I do know they don't seem to get along very well these days.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #35150 on: July 19, 2013, 07:11:23 am »

Well I'm under the impression that Christianity splintered off from Judaism as the Christians considered Jesus to be the messiah, while Jews maintain he was merely a prophet. I honestly don't know for sure, I never payed much attention in that class.
I have no idea how Judaism and Islam split. I do know they don't seem to get along very well these days.
I think its because the Islamists believe Muhammad to be a prophet messiah, whereas the Jews disagree with that ("disagree" is far too light a term, I think).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:29:08 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35151 on: July 19, 2013, 07:12:38 am »

No, Christianity splintered off Judaism since they Jews didn't believe that Jesus was legit, and Christians - obviously - did. Islam not so much split, but was inspired by both and traces its lineage to a certain secondary character in Old Testament, and believes Jesus to have been a prophet, but not a messiah.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35152 on: July 19, 2013, 07:16:24 am »

Are you implying that Christianity was the ye olde equivalente to Satanism to 1st century Jews?

Eh, from what I've read, no. It started as a sub-sect of Judaism, then through a series of oppression and persecution it remained rather low key until it was picked up as the main religion of places like Rome, from there it spread outwards into their territories as part of the roman way of living and remained after the Roman empire fell. (general gist, I'm not trying for super accuracy here)

It's interesting to know where things come from, and similar steps have occurred in other areas where suppression have reinforced peoples conviction.

Anyway, this is all interesting, but I'm getting irrelevant to the thread topic.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35153 on: July 19, 2013, 07:20:29 am »

No, Christianity splintered off Judaism since they Jews didn't believe that Jesus was legit, and Christians - obviously - did. Islam not so much split, but was inspired by both and traces its lineage to a certain secondary character in Old Testament, and believes Jesus to have been a prophet, but not a messiah.
Do you mean to imply Islam came after Christianity? Wow, I was kind of under the impression it was a lot older, but younger than Judaism. That is kind of a surprise.

Although it still begs the question, from where did Judaism come from? I know they are meant to be around long enough enough to be enslaved by the ancient Egyptians to build pyramids, but actual evidence for that is a little sketchy, and I'm not sure if they are referring to the faith, the race, or both. 'Jewish' can sometimes be a little ambiguous.

I really should catch up on some religious studies. It makes for a very interesting chunk of human history.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #35154 on: July 19, 2013, 07:31:36 am »

Do you mean to imply Islam came after Christianity? Wow, I was kind of under the impression it was a lot older, but younger than Judaism. That is kind of a surprise.
It was around before the Medieval Age swung around, right? 'Cause thats what the Crusades were all about?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35155 on: July 19, 2013, 07:38:59 am »

Although it still begs the question, from where did Judaism come from? I know they are meant to be around long enough enough to be enslaved by the ancient Egyptians to build pyramids, but actual evidence for that is a little sketchy, and I'm not sure if they are referring to the faith, the race, or both. 'Jewish' can sometimes be a little ambiguous.

I really should catch up on some religious studies. It makes for a very interesting chunk of human history.

Yes, Islam is younger than Christianity by a couple of centuries, it was founded in VII-th century.

According to the Bible, it was pretty much a single guy, Abraham, with Jews as his descendants, somewhere in the ancient Mesopotamia, who got the idea that there is only one trve kvlt God (it's debatable if he believed the other people's gods were false, it's likely that Hebrews started out believing there are many gods, but they should only serve one, single best God there is).

Then he died, his son and grandsons due to drought where they lived ended up in Egypt and got enslaved, then were liberated by Moses. However, there is actually no evidence that Hebrews have ever lived in any sizeable population in Egypt, and a couple of things don't really seem to work like Bible says, so the whole march-through-desert thing might be wrong. Anyway, they did a bit of conquering and formed a state of Israel (and Judah), then they got conquered by Babylon and exiled there, which then got conquered by Persia, who was a bit softer on them, which then lost to Alexander the Great, and finally, got conquered by Rome.

Cue Jesus.

Later on, the Jews rebelled against Romans, which ended up with Romans wrecking their shit and exiling them from Israel.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35156 on: July 19, 2013, 07:40:25 am »

It was around before the Medieval Age swung around, right? 'Cause thats what the Crusades were all about?

Apparently russian wiki says that Islam was finalized in VII century by Mohammed.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35157 on: July 19, 2013, 08:12:42 am »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/2013/07/18/a8db3f0e-efe6-11e2-bed3-b9b6fe264871_story.html

Apparently entire cities can go bankrupt. Huh.
Town I was living in came close more than once when I was younger. I don't quite remember what would have happened if it did go bankrupt, though... something about losing township status, but can't recall what that entails (beyond stuff like losing the police department, maybe other things.).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35158 on: July 19, 2013, 09:37:14 am »

Look what I found.

That should settle a few questions.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35159 on: July 19, 2013, 10:22:18 am »

Look what I found.

That should settle a few questions.
interesting, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna try to read it.
Pages: 1 ... 2342 2343 [2344] 2345 2346 ... 11040