Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2263 2264 [2265] 2266 2267 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485159 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #33960 on: June 19, 2013, 12:38:04 pm »

I like the part of history where Hitler almost got to Art School but got denied, so he went to army, where he got his dose of antisemitism.
Baby Hitler's pretty replaceable. The Nazis could have gotten anyone who was a speaker to play his role. Now, if Hitler as Totalitarian Hitler slipped on a turtle and landed in a pool full of lamprey eels, that would have been historically significant.

Oh, and that.

Funny how our fate and history is often based on strokes of luck and coincidences :P
50% of our fate is determined by fortune. 40% is determined by our actions. 10% is determined by sandvich.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33961 on: June 19, 2013, 12:39:43 pm »

Yup, the assassination of Franz Ferdinant is a bloody story of mindboggeling incompetence.

Edit: Fits less, but well.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:45:30 pm by 10ebbor10 »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33962 on: June 19, 2013, 01:16:53 pm »

Without the miracle of Dunkirk enabled by the rearguard, Britain would have suffered a terrible defeat which could have forced surrender
From what I've read recently that happened only because Hitler delayed the attack on Dunkirk for a day, because he wanted to show his staff of generals who was in command. His hybris of thinking he was a good commander put him in conflict with the generals several times early in the war.
That might really have ended the war much differently, might be one of the things on the very short list of good things Hitler did (not on purpose of course).

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #33963 on: June 19, 2013, 01:21:49 pm »

Hitler's interference with his generals caused quite a bit of trouble for the Germans. Having someone else in charge would probably have had a huge effect on the overall course of the war, even if it didn't stop the Nazi's from coming into power.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33964 on: June 19, 2013, 01:22:03 pm »

Without the miracle of Dunkirk enabled by the rearguard, Britain would have suffered a terrible defeat which could have forced surrender
From what I've read recently that happened only because Hitler delayed the attack on Dunkirk for a day, because he wanted to show his staff of generals who was in command. His hybris of thinking he was a good commander put him in conflict with the generals several times early in the war.
That might really have ended the war much differently, might be one of the things on the very short list of good things Hitler did (not on purpose of course).
Nah, Hitler listened to his generals this time IIRC. The tanks were worn out, in need of maintenance after getting battered by the French rearguard. He ordered the tanks to wait so that the infantry could catch up and communication lines could be restored, given that there was also heavy air superiority for the Germans evacuation for the encircled French and British was really unlikely.
Hence why it's also called the miracle of Dunkirk... It really was.
Someone going to make a history thread?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #33965 on: June 19, 2013, 01:23:40 pm »

So. Any good historic books on that which do not cost hundreds of dollars?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33966 on: June 19, 2013, 01:30:52 pm »

Oh, and that.

Funny how our fate and history is often based on strokes of luck and coincidences :P
50% of our fate is determined by fortune. 40% is determined by our actions. 10% is determined by sandvich.
People say that kind of thing but honesty it's far less random chance and more deterministic momentum then you'd think.

WW1 had been building up for years before the assassination, it really started to kick off when the central powers aligned, and then Russia/France/Britain got together and formed the triple entente against them. The assassination of Franz Ferdinand was just the spark that lit the powder keg, it would have probably gone off sooner or later given the political situation.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33967 on: June 19, 2013, 01:32:26 pm »

So. Any good historic books on that which do not cost hundreds of dollars?
There is a relatively new book by a historian who has reconstructed this version of events from documents. Here's a short interview in german, where I read about that recently. (Or rather the book isn't that new, but I assume the 4th edition has new material.)
The book is: Karl-Heinz Frieser: "Blitzkrieg-Legende: Der Westfeldzug 1940". (Oldenburg, München. 4. Auflage 2012. 496 S., 29,80 Euro)

The tanks were worn out, in need of maintenance after getting battered by the French rearguard.
In the interview Frieser basically calls this a legend, says Hitler had later claimed he didn't want to kill the "bloodrelated" english troops, while records by his adjutant call it a demonstration of power to the generals.

As with all historic research, there is no undebatable account of things of course.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:46:51 pm by XXSockXX »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33968 on: June 19, 2013, 01:51:29 pm »

Then again, it might be that the belief that war was unavoidable was what ended up causing it. Primly because of mobilization times. Germany could mobilize quickly, but they would be outnumbered if fighting the full force of the enemy at once. Russia needed more than 3 months for mobilization, meaning that they needed to act quickly or be overrun. So when Russia started mobilizing, Germany felt they needed to attack, or would be overrun.

Edit: Throw in the rest of Europe and a massive amount of conflicting treaties to get what really happened.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33969 on: June 19, 2013, 02:07:22 pm »

The thing that always gets to me about WW1 is the euphoria of the soldiers and huge parts of the population at the beginning of the war. They went into the first modern and total war as if it was a sports event, with the attitude of 19th century pseudo-aristocrats. Little did they know...

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33970 on: June 19, 2013, 02:34:29 pm »

Hitler had a tendency to barely survive assassination attempts. In operation Valkyrie they changed the meeting area, but with both bombs he still would've been screwed. I believe another guy planned to grab him and blow them both up when he was showing Hitler the new uniforms but lost his legs on the Eastern Front.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33971 on: June 19, 2013, 02:35:34 pm »

In the interview Frieser basically calls this a legend, says Hitler had later claimed he didn't want to kill the "bloodrelated" english troops, while records by his adjutant call it a demonstration of power to the generals.

As with all historic research, there is no undebatable account of things of course.
Yet he ordered the attempted denial of the evacuation with the Luftwaffe, he had no qualms about killing them. Could be just as likely that he wanted them to surrender though.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33972 on: June 19, 2013, 03:17:55 pm »

Then again, it might be that the belief that war was unavoidable was what ended up causing it. Primly because of mobilization times. Germany could mobilize quickly, but they would be outnumbered if fighting the full force of the enemy at once. Russia needed more than 3 months for mobilization, meaning that they needed to act quickly or be overrun. So when Russia started mobilizing, Germany felt they needed to attack, or would be overrun.

Edit: Throw in the rest of Europe and a massive amount of conflicting treaties to get what really happened.

What the history books never tell you is that every nation in Europe wanted to go to war. France wanted to regain territory that had been lost to Germany in the Franco-Prussian war, while Britain (with it's massive empire relying on naval trade lanes which relied on their fleet) wanted to crush the German Empire's growing High Seas Fleet, which was viewed as a threat to British dominion over the sea. On Germany's end, war was seen as an excellent way to gain more French territory and grab some of the lucrative African regions, so that they would have their own colonial empire. The Russian Empire, fresh from defeat against Japan, wanted a victorious war to dispel European belief in the inferiority of Russian arms. Naturally, the other nations had their own goals. The various treaties and alliances that are often cited as the cause of the war were, in fact, the opening moves, as each Power joined itself to Powers that were opposed to Powers aligned with the Power that was their intended enemy.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33973 on: June 19, 2013, 03:22:14 pm »

Disregarding state-funded history books, most of them talk about how all the Europeans except Italy wanted to go to waagh.
Really tells a lot about a country's government in the way they talk about their history.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33974 on: June 19, 2013, 03:30:21 pm »

Look suffice it to say... People love to butcher history and will always butcher history and you will never get accurate data on history.

There is a reason why Popular History is so absolutely annoying when you actually know the real history.

"Ohh and then the Pilgrims met the Indians and they shared pumpkin pie and lived happily ever after until the Indians started shooting the pilgrims with arrows, and that is why we put them on reservations"
Pages: 1 ... 2263 2264 [2265] 2266 2267 ... 11037