Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2264 2265 [2266] 2267 2268 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485136 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #33975 on: June 19, 2013, 03:34:30 pm »

Yet he ordered the attempted denial of the evacuation with the Luftwaffe, he had no qualms about killing them. Could be just as likely that he wanted them to surrender though.
Yeah, obviously he was lying when he said he wouldn't want to kill them. That was just propaganda and probably part of the weird attempts to win England over to his side. He didn't care much about his own people or anyone for that matter.

Disregarding state-funded history books, most of them talk about how all the Europeans except Italy wanted to go to waagh.
Really tells a lot about a country's government in the way they talk about their history.
I definitely did learn in school that pretty much everybody wanted war. That's part of what I was talking about with the naive euphoria. Even many german socialdemocrats were like "War? Hm. Against the French? Ok, we're in." (re-enacted scene may slightly differ from real events  ;))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33976 on: June 19, 2013, 03:39:49 pm »

"Ohh and then the Pilgrims met the Indians and they shared pumpkin pie and lived happily ever after until the Indians started shooting the pilgrims with arrows, and that is why we put them on reservations"
'Reservations, so what, like they went on holiday?'

'Yes Jimmy... Extended holiday. To a nice farm somewhere up North, with other native Americans.'

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33977 on: June 19, 2013, 03:42:06 pm »

Disregarding state-funded history books, most of them talk about how all the Europeans except Italy wanted to go to waagh.
Really tells a lot about a country's government in the way they talk about their history.

That's quite strange, since I've never even seen a history book (and I've seen tens of thousands of history books) from before the college level that presented anything except the "big accident" explanation.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #33978 on: June 19, 2013, 03:42:36 pm »

http://www.wkbn.com/2013/06/19/court-to-hear-fee-debate-in-cleveland-killings/

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Let me get this straight? You take on the representation of a capital murder defendant (the state can potentially execute him) and some judge thinks that a little more than $18/hour is a fair wage for a 10 week trial determining if a person will literally lose their life? Keep in mind this is a senior attorney who has gone through years and years of hoops, additional classes, repeatedly to maintain his death penalty case certification, etc etc etc. $18/hour for an attorney with decades of experience and special certifications and skills?

.... ???

I'm sorry but how exactly is this supposed to even keep up the pretense of being fair?

I'm reminded of a line from an old NGRI case (Not guilty by reason of insanity):

"Some people see things as they are and ask why? Others see things as they never were and are insane."

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33979 on: June 19, 2013, 03:49:42 pm »

I take it $18 an hour is considered low?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33980 on: June 19, 2013, 03:50:29 pm »

Sort of reminds me when these teachers were gagged (specifically they were forced to be unable to strike) so what they did is they revoked all extracurricular which were things they weren't paid for on contract.

The thing with Lawyer feas is that the pay is also supposed to represent how much work they do when they are not in court and not with the defendant in question.

18 dollars an hour for a Lawyer in a murder case is essentially less then minimum wage. As well it is something a lawyer could have easily made up had they not had this obligation.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:53:01 pm by Neonivek »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33981 on: June 19, 2013, 03:53:58 pm »

Dude screw that, that is a joke of a wage, a college grad makes more than that out the door.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33982 on: June 19, 2013, 03:56:31 pm »

Would you trust your life to someone making only $18 an hour?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33983 on: June 19, 2013, 03:56:57 pm »

That's quite strange, since I've never even seen a history book (and I've seen tens of thousands of history books) from before the college level that presented anything except the "big accident" explanation.
It was in my textbooks (these being obviously Germany-centric, so WW1 is important). There is no college level here, but if you go for the highest possible school degree and keep history as a subject you should have that in your books.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #33984 on: June 19, 2013, 03:57:35 pm »

Dude screw that, that is a joke of a wage, a college grad makes more than that out the door.

Please tell me where to make more than 18 dollars an hour as a college graduate. I know many college graduates working for around half that who would love this knowledge.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33985 on: June 19, 2013, 03:58:54 pm »

* Sirus wistfully imagines making 18 bucks an hour
That's more than twice what my previous highest wage was. Welp.

Guess how much plenty of people in vital jobs make. It's much less than that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33986 on: June 19, 2013, 04:02:26 pm »

Think of it this way Sirus.

That lawyer is not being paid to look over evidence, contact witnesses, or prepare for court.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33987 on: June 19, 2013, 04:05:52 pm »

Please tell me where to make more than 18 dollars an hour as a college graduate. I know many college graduates working for around half that who would love this knowledge.
Don't take liberal Arts or Historical degrees :P

Utah so far has crapton of CS jobs

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33988 on: June 19, 2013, 04:08:33 pm »

* Sirus wistfully imagines making 18 bucks an hour
That's more than twice what my previous highest wage was. Welp.

Guess how much plenty of people in vital jobs make. It's much less than that.
Heh. $8.20/hour, and if I or one of my co-workers screw up, we could potentially cause the deaths of hundreds of people. A short crew with mostly new hires (who get paid even less) could very easily result in injuries or deaths if a superior didn't pay enough attention, even without an emergency situation not caused by incompetence (not helped by the fact that the people above us are neither paid particularly well for their skillsets nor other... issues).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33989 on: June 19, 2013, 04:15:53 pm »

$18 dollars an hour is 8 more dollars than I've ever been paid for anything. :P That's manager stuff, round here.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 2264 2265 [2266] 2267 2268 ... 11037