Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1976 1977 [1978] 1979 1980 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14431637 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #29655 on: March 26, 2013, 03:40:07 pm »

The problem with patents (when people aren't suggesting ridiculous things like mathematical ones or arguing over the usefulness of software patents), is that there is about umpteen million of them. Theres only so many you can check before starting to go in circles, unless you're an expert in the subject.
....I think you basically just said what I said.  ???

IM SUEING FOR COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENT

:P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29656 on: March 26, 2013, 03:45:07 pm »

I totally added soemthing, but it was in parentheses because otherwise it would be a run on sentence like this one which might or might not be fair since it takes longer to read than your normal sentence and also took a couple bytes longer to load.

:P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29657 on: March 26, 2013, 04:12:31 pm »

So the guys working at the patent office didn't bother to double check?

I can understand that, but really...
They'd have to check against umpteen million pre-existing patents to look for similarities without an expert knowledge of the subject matter.

There are a LOT of patents. My ex-wife co-holds a couple of patents, as does my ex-father-in-law. Neither of them are inventors. It's just that when you work for a company, and find a better way to do something or improve their product, they're quick to patent the hell out of your idea. And typically the legal language in an employment contract automatically gives ownership of that patent to your company, not to you. You get credit and a little certificate with your name on it all fancy-like, but if there's any money to be made on it, it's going to the company.
It's not part of the contract, it's part of the law. Any ideas or anything you come up with on company time or as a result of experiences the company gives you, automatically become property of the company. This applies to everyone. And yes, it sucks.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #29658 on: March 26, 2013, 04:27:24 pm »

Bittorrent just seems so inefficient and network congesting compared to proper content delivery networks or true multicasting. I believe if not for piracy, it would have never taken off.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #29659 on: March 26, 2013, 04:28:43 pm »

On a ham: Heat at 325F for 15 minutes. Glaze may be added for last 30 minutes.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29660 on: March 26, 2013, 04:40:07 pm »

In the interest of giving me some amusement and ideas, I'm rereading You At Final Boss.
What the fuck was I on.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29661 on: March 26, 2013, 04:46:44 pm »

Bittorrent just seems so inefficient and network congesting compared to proper content delivery networks or true multicasting. I believe if not for piracy, it would have never taken off.
Perhaps it is, it certainly isn't the fastest of things sometimes. But aside from Steam/Netflix's methods and bittorent, I don't see any other good methods of downloading >1GB files via Internet. Certainly not direct download, which can be slower and might end up useless and then you'd have to download the entire thing again.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #29662 on: March 26, 2013, 04:53:07 pm »

It is inefficient for streaming realtime video, and true multicasting has never been reliably implemented on the internet. That is why developing a functional and reliable multicast peer to peer streaming system was actually rather innovative when I was doing it it 4 years ago.

Bandwidth may cost pennies per gigabyte, but when you need to transmit thousands to millions of streams? It adds up. That isn't even counting the cost of the hardware capable of serving thousands to millions of individual streams simultaneously. The software I helped write required one video streaming server and could easily cut bandwidth requirements by 30 fold. It also had nearly unlimited dynamic load balancing.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29663 on: March 26, 2013, 05:51:39 pm »

Dear Asshat of a professor;

How dare you deny me my 100, and instead give me a less than perfect 99.  My 40 point essay that was 5 frakking pages long wasnt enough for a 40?  I can almost guarentee My essay was superior in every other of the year.  Now when I ask around and some jerk tells me he got an 80, but all fourty essay points Ill be incredibly pissed.

You.  Are.  A.  Dick.

I should tell the whole class how you were busted questioned intensely in '06 for all those guns in you house.

(Maybe Im not so pissed at the score, but the lose of that one point due to some philosphical 'nobody's perfect' arguement.  And it didnt help he gave me a giant red 30 on the inside cover, neglecting to tell me that was only the first sections grade (30/30)).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 05:53:22 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29664 on: March 26, 2013, 05:55:40 pm »

... note to self. If manage teaching, never give perfect scores. Only one degree away from them. Always room for improvement!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29665 on: March 26, 2013, 06:46:18 pm »

... note to self. If manage teaching, never give perfect scores. Only one degree away from them. Always room for improvement!
Scumbag teacher.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #29666 on: March 26, 2013, 07:16:18 pm »

I'm having a pretty great day, yet everyone around me is having a shitty one.

The happiness stealing device is working perfectly.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29667 on: March 26, 2013, 10:18:50 pm »

http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/03/opinion-issued-in-florida-v-jardines/

"Justice Alito found nothing special about the fact that the police brought a drug sniffing dog with them (after all, “Dogs have been domesticated for about 12,000 years; they were ubiquitous in both this country and Britain at the time of the adoption of the Fourth Amendment.”)."

D- for effort. Way to miss the point, again. Dogs were around back then. So were lots of things.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29668 on: March 26, 2013, 10:19:50 pm »

But were drug sniffing dogs around back then?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29669 on: March 26, 2013, 10:27:16 pm »

5 frakking pages long wasnt enough for a 40
This is the only qualifier you added for why you deserved a 40, and it's a piss poor one. Because a) 5 pages is actually a pretty short essay. b) length != quality. c) You got a perfect score on the first part, so I assume you lost the final point for an actual mistake somewhere rather than anything else.

Also, you try to say it was better than everybody elses as if... that means something? Comparing yourself to others is a bad habit to get into. Compare yourself to the standards you want to reach, and the potential you could put out.

Personally, I get the feeling you probably could have done better.
Pages: 1 ... 1976 1977 [1978] 1979 1980 ... 11039