Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1975 1976 [1977] 1978 1979 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14431845 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #29640 on: March 26, 2013, 03:29:44 am »

Italian Doom  NSFW, or something.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29641 on: March 26, 2013, 10:51:13 am »

Some guy is suggesting math patents.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29642 on: March 26, 2013, 11:08:22 am »

That's not that far out from what we're already doing. Algorithms can already be patented.

Digital information can be patented, and digital information is represented as numbers, so there are many numbers which are effectively patented (e.g. you can't legally have a number in your system which just happens to encode to a jpg of mickey mouse).

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29643 on: March 26, 2013, 11:20:43 am »

Technically that's a copyright, not a patent. A patent is for a device, a copyright is for a particular configuration of numbers letters or whatever is being used to convey information. Everyone has a copyright on anything they produce, as long as they can convince a court that it's an "original work".

Copyrights also last waaaayyy longer, between 70 to 120 years. And corporations have found ways to extend their current copyright claims much beyond that. It seems if you're a person you only get to pass your copyright on to someone who can then use it for a while, but if you're a corporate "person" the copyright will last basically as long as you're still using it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29644 on: March 26, 2013, 11:40:20 am »

Copyright is an entire mess on its own, and it doesn't really matter if its not that far out or not. Saying you can patent a piece of mathematics is like saying you own a tree in the park because even though many others have seen it, no one else said it was their tree, and now you have to ask before looking at that specific tree.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29645 on: March 26, 2013, 12:34:46 pm »

Once, just once, I want to hear some beat dropper drive by shaking the land with Tchaikovsky. I could die happier after that.
Bagpipes. Just sayin.

Some brodudes pulled up blasting some obnoxious gangsta rap at a stoplight one time, as I was listening to NPR and Thistle and Shamrock (Scotch-Irish folk music show) was on. Just then, "Scotland the Brave" came on. Dial goes to 11.

EAT PIPES MOTHERFUCKERS xD

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #29646 on: March 26, 2013, 12:36:48 pm »

Once, just once, I want to hear some beat dropper drive by shaking the land with Tchaikovsky. I could die happier after that.
Bagpipes. Just sayin.

Some brodudes pulled up blasting some obnoxious gangsta rap at a stoplight one time, as I was listening to NPR and Thistle and Shamrock (Scotch-Irish folk music show) was on. Just then, "Scotland the Brave" came on. Dial goes to 11.

Still not as loud as actual bagpipes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29647 on: March 26, 2013, 12:38:30 pm »

Bagpipes. Just sayin.

Still not as loud as actual bagpipes.
True. But I typically don't drive around town with a set of bagpipes on hand.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29648 on: March 26, 2013, 02:04:27 pm »

Copyright is an entire mess on its own, and it doesn't really matter if its not that far out or not. Saying you can patent a piece of mathematics is like saying you own a tree in the park because even though many others have seen it, no one else said it was their tree, and now you have to ask before looking at that specific tree.
I think there's a tree that owns itself in Maine.
Unrelated, but it's cool.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #29649 on: March 26, 2013, 02:35:22 pm »

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-s-bram-cohen-patents-revolutionary-live-streaming-protocol-130326/

this is a blatent ripoff of one of the technologies i helped develop alongside its creator and a number of other devs in my previous job back in 09.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29650 on: March 26, 2013, 02:37:06 pm »

Patents can be discussed, right?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #29651 on: March 26, 2013, 02:41:50 pm »

And the guy I worked with DID patent it, some of the diagrams are even the same. The patent was applied for in 2007 and granted on 2010.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29652 on: March 26, 2013, 02:46:39 pm »

So the guys working at the patent office didn't bother to double check?

I can understand that, but really...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29653 on: March 26, 2013, 02:52:09 pm »

So the guys working at the patent office didn't bother to double check?

I can understand that, but really...
They'd have to check against umpteen million pre-existing patents to look for similarities without an expert knowledge of the subject matter.

There are a LOT of patents. My ex-wife co-holds a couple of patents, as does my ex-father-in-law. Neither of them are inventors. It's just that when you work for a company, and find a better way to do something or improve their product, they're quick to patent the hell out of your idea. And typically the legal language in an employment contract automatically gives ownership of that patent to your company, not to you. You get credit and a little certificate with your name on it all fancy-like, but if there's any money to be made on it, it's going to the company.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29654 on: March 26, 2013, 03:36:24 pm »

The problem with patents (when people aren't suggesting ridiculous things like mathematical ones or arguing over the usefulness of software patents), is that there is about umpteen million of them. Theres only so many you can check before starting to go in circles, unless you're an expert in the subject.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 1975 1976 [1977] 1978 1979 ... 11039