Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1905 1906 [1907] 1908 1909 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14438806 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #28590 on: March 08, 2013, 12:20:26 pm »

I call bullshit. This guy has clearly never played a game of monopoly. It always goes for about two hours too long, gets boring for everybody but the two people who go bankrupt very, very quickly, and then gets boring for those two people soon after, and ends in squabbling about where that extra money came from. Monopoly is a family slayer!
What ? But monopoly is a competition and the one that wins is the one that managed to grab the most 100$ (or 500) from the bank without being seen. It's to be more realistic !
No, no. You win monopoly if you manage to get the most expensive street.
Just take the card ? I mean, it's too easy if you just have to steal one card.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28591 on: March 08, 2013, 12:32:00 pm »

I call bullshit. This guy has clearly never played a game of monopoly. It always goes for about two hours too long, gets boring for everybody but the two people who go bankrupt very, very quickly, and then gets boring for those two people soon after, and ends in squabbling about where that extra money came from. Monopoly is a family slayer!
What ? But monopoly is a competition and the one that wins is the one that managed to grab the most 100$ (or 500) from the bank without being seen. It's to be more realistic !
No, no. You win monopoly if you manage to get the most expensive street.
Just take the card ? I mean, it's too easy if you just have to steal one card.
Boardwalk needs Park place to extort charge rent via Hotel, though. Thats two cards.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28592 on: March 08, 2013, 12:38:19 pm »

That's how it ends up, usually. Be it a government, a corporation, or any other hierarchy, the morals of the individuals within the system get overridden by the system's goals.

I... don't really understand this statement...

Or rather, I don't understand how this can be said on behalf of anyone who is responsible for the decisions and proposals that guide the system... Kissinger was not being overridden by anything... those massacres were his ideas...

I can also understand participating in a system that pushes the boundaries of one's morals to a point, but there's a limit... and that limit is waaaaaaaaay before the point of "ordered to participate in the slaughter of tens of thousands of civilians because they made a peaceful ideological choice that we disagree with."  I have little empathy for someone who allows their morals to be overridden to that extent.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #28593 on: March 08, 2013, 12:50:49 pm »

I just remembered how I narrowly evaded death roughly twice while of a younger age.

If that brick had been about a foot to the right, or if I'd stumbled backwards one more pace...

O_O

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28594 on: March 08, 2013, 01:23:41 pm »

I just remembered how I narrowly evaded death roughly twice while of a younger age.

If that brick had been about a foot to the right, or if I'd stumbled backwards one more pace...

O_O
If that rusty metal pole had impaled me in the stomach rather than two inches to the right in my rib cage...(long story)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28595 on: March 08, 2013, 01:46:46 pm »

O_O
If that rusty metal pole had impaled me in the stomach rather than two inches to the right in my rib cage...(long story)
I've always hated that cliche line.  Any time anyone gets stabbed with something and survives, someone will say that.  There isn't really a safe place to get stabbed/shot/impaled, and any place you do is extremely likely to be close to something vital.

Maybe I'm just weird.  There are lots of cliches like that that really bother me for some inexplicable reason.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28596 on: March 08, 2013, 02:20:40 pm »

Well, there was this one guy that shot himself trough the chest and lived...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28597 on: March 08, 2013, 02:29:14 pm »

O_O
I've always hated that cliche line.  Any time anyone gets stabbed with something and survives, someone will say that.  There isn't really a safe place to get stabbed/shot/impaled, and any place you do is extremely likely to be close to something vital.

Maybe I'm just weird.  There are lots of cliches like that that really bother me for some inexplicable reason.
No, but getting impaled where there's a mass of bone to resist further penetration is a LOT better off than getting impaled somwhere soft and squishy with impoortant organs and shit in it. And no bone to stop it until you get to the spine. As it was, it left a relatively minor wound (nice even square cut all the way through to the ribs) which was treated with rubbing alcohol and a gauze patch. Still have a small scar from it. Not one of my brighter moments.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28598 on: March 08, 2013, 03:18:34 pm »

This game of Europa Universalis III is going really, really weird.

First and foremost is the distinct lack of a french powerhouse. ANY french powerhouse, Frace or Burgundy or otherwise. Early in the game someone broke France into pieces (burgundy, I think) only to get smacked down by a resurgent Champagne, who I allied with, expecting them to form a new France and then we would be unstoppable. Instead, they attacked a minor HRE state with 500 allies and I dropped our alliance. France is now about as broken apart as Germany.

Bohemia isn't exceptionally large, at least for EU3, but it's long and stringy, essentially a line of provinces from a Uberhaxxor Pommerania (?) past powerhouse Austria (the most normal thing in the game, tbh,) and into old Ottoman Territories around the Balkans. Speaking of the Ottomans, they dissolved a long time ago. Saruhan had a brief heyday before the Mamaluks came up and wrecked shit before falling to internal pressures. Now the balkanization continues down there as well, stopping just before the middle east. Yes, that's right, the pile of city-states stretches from Brittany all the way across Europe and into turkey. And they all have about 70 alliances in a massive web that means anyone declaring war is immediately crushed into even smaller states. Me and Castille are the only Western European Powers left, and Castille is content with Africa, so we don't do much business.

America is a giagantic patchwork of provinces claimed by the aforementioned Citystates, mostly Normandy and Brittany. There's quite a few Castillian provinces as well.  I seem to be the only nation with any territories connected to each other, like a giant blob of red in a rainbow sea. It looks like a dog ate a bunch of crayons and then threw it up all over the Americas.

Scandinavia has formed. Yes, Sweden managed to annex both Denmark and Norway within the first century. They seem to have sat on the decision for a while, but have finally formed a major eastern powerhouse... And then half of Iceland got conquered by Aquilia. What? Yeah, the same Aquilia that sits down near italy and is conquered by Austria, usually quite fast? In this game... That actually almost happened. Except in it's weird, almost-definitely-a-glitch way, it decided to Balkanize Aquilia. So in response, they STOLE HALF OF ICELAND.

Ming has been almost entirely consumed by Manchu, Russia managed to be formed, Vyjingaginar or whatever dissolved. I, England, own Cylon and have been using it as a base for my colonization of the Malasian Archepalago and Oceania in general. Wu is a minor two-province state in the middle of China somehow fending off both Ming and Manchu but never doing more than what's needed to survive... Japan is being slowly united by Minamoto and Tachibana, despite a brief resurgance of Tiara. Pegu, a state I paid less attention to than Mecklenburg in previous games, is slowly conquering Malaysia. The Timurids have refused to fall, but have been very very slowly shrinking since Timur died. I have some serious pirate issues becuase my economy went to shit after I converted to protestantism too soon.

Speaking of which, apparently Eccumenism makes your colonies change into heretical religions... which is a good thing for me, since my tolerance of heretics is higher than my tolerance of protestants. Somehow. That awkward moment when Cuba becomes Eastern Orthodox is made even more awkward when that means Cuba actually grows faster because your nation is not Eastern Orthodox. On the Eastern front, I've converted most of Cylon to Protestantism. Waiting for them to become catholic through random chance so that they grow faster (?!?!?!?). Confucious has eaten Buddhism, pushing it out onto the fringe of malaysia. There's a random shinto province in the middle of Ming that makes no sense. Something weird must have happened. Korea owns Okinawa, which tells a small story...

To sum it all up, the world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Mostly because the game has run out of colors with which to represent new states. However, difficulty arises in that any attack on any minor state can set off a chain reaction resulting in WWI happening in 16th century England and that shit's just not acceptable. The map looks like a quilt sewn by a schizophrenic, seethes like a pile of maggots and the only superpowers left are either too far away or hate me.

And I have lots of inflation. This game...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28599 on: March 08, 2013, 03:28:16 pm »

Person's relatives ask how much I charge to do something and if I can get guy out of jail:

I reply, based on what I know now $200-$300 flat rate?, and quite frankly my old boss charged $500 and it's not uncommon for some lawyers to charge $200/hour. As for getting him out, no lawyer can tell you that with the limited information I know, which is practically nothing. I'm not one of those people who tell you, "I'll take care of it," then run once they get your money. No lawyer can look you dead in the eye and honestly tell you what will happen for certain in a case, especially with no real information on the case to go off of. That's the honest truth, this thing needs looked into."

She then starts screaming at me and saying she'll report me for "not giving her a straight answer...."

???

Lady, if I could predict the future with nothing to go off but thin air, I'd win the lottery and no one would ever see me again....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28600 on: March 08, 2013, 03:29:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't play this game, so I must ask, is there some chronology of the events after the game is over? If so, you simply must tell us how all this happened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28601 on: March 08, 2013, 03:30:56 pm »

Person's relatives ask how much I charge to do something and if I can get guy out of jail:

I reply, based on what I know now $200-$300 flat rate?, and quite frankly my old boss charged $500 and it's not uncommon for some lawyers to charge $200/hour. As for getting him out, no lawyer can tell you that with the limited information I know, which is practically nothing. I'm not one of those people who tell you, "I'll take care of it," then run once they get your money. No lawyer can look you dead in the eye and honestly tell you what will happen for certain in a case, especially with no real information on the case to go off of. That's the honest truth, this thing needs looked into."

She then starts screaming at me and saying she'll report me for "not giving her a straight answer...."

???

Lady, if I could predict the future with nothing to go off but thin air, I'd win the lottery and no one would ever see me again....
You really need to work on this sentence: "Get the fuck out of my office."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28602 on: March 08, 2013, 03:32:38 pm »

I... don't really understand this statement...

Or rather, I don't understand how this can be said on behalf of anyone who is responsible for the decisions and proposals that guide the system... Kissinger was not being overridden by anything... those massacres were his ideas...

I can also understand participating in a system that pushes the boundaries of one's morals to a point, but there's a limit... and that limit is waaaaaaaaay before the point of "ordered to participate in the slaughter of tens of thousands of civilians because they made a peaceful ideological choice that we disagree with."  I have little empathy for someone who allows their morals to be overridden to that extent.
If you've spent your whole career having to make hard calls, you'll eventually grow numb to the human cost. The idea that you can't help everyone, or can't make an omelet without breaking eggs, or that small evils now are acceptable to prevent larger evils that you foresee becomes the reality.  That's when the seriously bad stuff happens. It doesn't help that people like Kissinger didn't actually participate in massacres of civilians. He committed actions that put others in a position that they could order other people still to commit the massacres. That's two degrees of separation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28603 on: March 08, 2013, 03:37:57 pm »

Speaking of which, apparently Eccumenism makes your colonies change into heretical religions... which is a good thing for me, since my tolerance of heretics is higher than my tolerance of protestants. Somehow. That awkward moment when Cuba becomes Eastern Orthodox is made even more awkward when that means Cuba actually grows faster because your nation is not Eastern Orthodox. On the Eastern front, I've converted most of Cylon to Protestantism. Waiting for them to become catholic through random chance so that they grow faster (?!?!?!?).
You would think that a country that DOESN'T tolerate heretics would have heretical colonies grow faster, as all the heretics move to the colonies to get away from the repression. I know EU3 does have events to simulate that, but... not quite the same.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28604 on: March 08, 2013, 03:54:58 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60JlM6ZXHc

Spoiler: Read after watching (click to show/hide)

Otherwise 10/10
Pages: 1 ... 1905 1906 [1907] 1908 1909 ... 11040