Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1884 1885 [1886] 1887 1888 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14458263 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #28276 on: March 05, 2013, 11:56:11 am »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28277 on: March 05, 2013, 04:16:25 pm »

Just dealt with the Prisoner's Dilemma in an economic experiment. We all could have walked out of there $40 richer, but no, they just had to be assholes and we all got much less.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28278 on: March 05, 2013, 04:21:13 pm »

Just dealt with the Prisoner's Dilemma in an economic experiment. We all could have walked out of there $40 richer, but no, they just had to be assholes and we all got much less.
Prisoner's Dilemma: proving how Randism (i.e. relentlessly pursuing self-interest) fucks over errybody.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #28279 on: March 05, 2013, 04:23:07 pm »

Prisoner's Dilemma: proving how Randism (i.e. relentlessly pursuing self-interest) fucks over errybody.
Except yourself :D

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #28280 on: March 05, 2013, 04:25:44 pm »

Yourself Included.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28281 on: March 05, 2013, 04:26:04 pm »

No, it screwed them pretty good too. I know because halfway through the experiment I decided that some men just want to watch the world burn and focused on ruining them instead of getting any more money for myself.

They even gave us charts showing the monetary outcomes of our actions, and they still didn't get the picture because of that sweet sweet Square C.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28282 on: March 05, 2013, 04:51:06 pm »

Neat thing. The sociology class I had that did roughly the same thing (though with candy instead of cash)? Came out ahead. And the class walked out with candy. I'll admit, I was indeed surprised.

... from what I recall, the teacher said we were the only class that year (and maybe a few years before that) that actually played it right and got net gain.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28283 on: March 05, 2013, 08:00:02 pm »

It's always sort of astonished me that people can look at a pictogram of the Prisoner's Dilemma, have it explained to them, and still not get it. Does greed share a causal relation with stupidity? Wait, don't answer that one, I believe I already know the answer.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28284 on: March 05, 2013, 08:04:01 pm »

It's always sort of astonished me that people can look at a pictogram of the Prisoner's Dilemma, have it explained to them, and still not get it. Does greed share a causal relation with stupidity? Wait, don't answer that one, I believe I already know the answer.

It is because for a lot of people the prisoner's dilemma is counter intuitive.

It functions under the assumption that because you cannot trust the person you are with. In otherwords the Prisoner dillema is about antagonistic cooperation (Or for people who play boardgames: Semi-cooperation).

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #28285 on: March 05, 2013, 08:09:41 pm »

Isn't the Prisoner's Dilemma a game which basically hinges on everyone being nice and you being the only *censored* in the group?

But of course if everyone thinks they are the only *censored* in the group, everyone will be evil.

Of course, all of you being evil would result in net loss, and if only one of you is evil, they get all the benefit, it's in everyone's interest to be good. Unless you think you can take advantage...

REPEAT

Plus with bias for the 'I want to share, but Hoobish McChancelot over there's going to steal anyway, so I'm gonna steal just to fuck him over.'

FAKE EDIT : Almost decided to change last sentence to not use 'Golden Balls' terminology, but using Golden Balls (and Jasper Carrot) as a psychology knowledge source is too appropriate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28286 on: March 05, 2013, 08:11:07 pm »

No Prisoner's dilemma is basically this

If you both work together you both get a large benefit.

However if you do one thing and the person does the other, you get much less and he gets a lot more

But if you both don't work together you get a medium benefit.

---

Traditionally it is like this. You both are in jail.

Now if you both don't say anything there is a pretty good chance neither of you will go to jail.

Yet if either of you rats on the other and don't rat on them in return, they get out of jail scott free and you get serious time.

So the best possible option in the Prisoners dilemma is for both of you to turn on eachother because that way even though you don't get the best option, because you have no way of knowing what the other person did, you atleast guarentee that you do not get messed over.

The prisoner dillema is actually one of those things I find repugnant.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:13:04 pm by Neonivek »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #28287 on: March 05, 2013, 08:15:50 pm »

In essentiality I can put it like this
#
He Cooperates
He Defects
You Cooperate
     3, 3
     0, 5
You defect
     5, 0
    1, 1
Where the first number is your benefit, and the second is his.

The interesting thing is that while the best way for both parties is to get 3 cooperatively, The Urge is to defect and get 5. The urge on his side is the same, and if you defect and he defects you protect yourself. The problem is, You always do better if you defect. There is no incentive, logically, to cooperating. Moral standards aside.

The original Example and the nomer:
Two members of a criminal gang are arrested and imprisoned. Each prisoner is in solitary confinement with no means of speaking to or exchanging messages with the other. The police admit they don't have enough evidence to convict the pair on the principal charge. They plan to sentence both to a year in prison on a lesser charge. Simultaneously, the police offer each prisoner a Faustian bargain. If he testifies against his partner, he will go free while the partner will get three years in prison on the main charge. Oh, yes, there is a catch ... If both prisoners testify against each other, both will be sentenced to two years in jail.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:20:01 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28288 on: March 05, 2013, 08:16:54 pm »

The prisoner dillema is actually one of those things I find repugnant.
You find game theory repugnant? It is simple mathematics, the logic is immune to moral judgement.
It is how humans interact that you are fully entitles to dislike.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #28289 on: March 05, 2013, 08:18:25 pm »

Oh right

In my philosophy class I believe it was taught like this

If one of you rats, the ratter gets 0 years in prison. The other guy gets 8 years

If you both rat, you both get 8 years

If neither of you rat, you both get 5 years

And yes, I agree, I find it just kind of fucked up. I remember playing it in college, I was basically a bellend even though I'm usually a very nice guy and the guy who played it with, while normally brash and assertive, kept trying to compromise. It made me upset  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 1884 1885 [1886] 1887 1888 ... 11040