Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1853 1854 [1855] 1856 1857 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14474656 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #27810 on: February 25, 2013, 10:50:38 am »

'rep plebs :v?
I'll admit, that made me crack a grin. Well played.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27811 on: February 25, 2013, 11:38:26 am »

Received a flight itinerary and e-ticket for somebody with the same first and last name but a different middle name. And who apparently lives in New York. Looks like he signed up with my Gmail address by mistake (which is <firstname><lastname>@gmail). Easy mistake, but now I'm left wondering how to track him down and forward it to him. And make sure that I don't start getting bombarded with his email (and start getting way too much personal info)  ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #27812 on: February 25, 2013, 12:00:55 pm »

Received a flight itinerary and e-ticket for somebody with the same first and last name but a different middle name. And who apparently lives in New York. Looks like he signed up with my Gmail address by mistake (which is <firstname><lastname>@gmail). Easy mistake, but now I'm left wondering how to track him down and forward it to him. And make sure that I don't start getting bombarded with his email (and start getting way too much personal info)  ???

Hey, don't diss a chance for a free vacation.

Also, in the WTF?! category, this pleasant day out:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:12:23 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27813 on: February 25, 2013, 01:45:45 pm »

Sleeping WTFs, hah. I'm still a little weirded out by a few days ago. For about four days straight, I woke up at noon. Regardless of when I went to sleep. Went to sleep at eight PM one day. Woke up at noon the next. Then at ten PM and midnight. Woke up at noon both times. Finally at five o'clock in the frakking morning. Still woke up at noon, the same day. It's stopped, now, but I was starting to get somewhat concerned.

Your body actually has an internal clock that you are not that conscious of. It is why some people don't need to wear a watch.

If it believed that noon is when you should have woken up, then you will wake up at noon.

Mind you some people do not have strong wake up mechanisms. Hense the people who can only wake up with an alarm. I don't use an alarm because I don't have a problem with oversleeping.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27814 on: February 25, 2013, 02:19:21 pm »

There are a number of directly infectious genetic sequences, called retrotransposons.

Nearly a quarter of your average cows DNA comes from a particularly successful variant via the Horned Viper.

Yes, nearly a quarter of a cow's DNA is viper-genetics. It's assumed it was transferred via tick, but your average cow is now one-quarter viper, essentially. (Even if it's a particularly useless part of the viper)

Infectious fuckin' genetics, folks.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27815 on: February 25, 2013, 02:25:03 pm »

There are a number of directly infectious genetic sequences, called retrotransposons.

Nearly a quarter of your average cows DNA comes from a particularly successful variant via the Horned Viper.

Yes, nearly a quarter of a cow's DNA is viper-genetics. It's assumed it was transferred via tick, but your average cow is now one-quarter viper, essentially. (Even if it's a particularly useless part of the viper)

Pretty cool.  I wonder how big our genome would be if you got rid of all the junk that we don't need and doesn't do anything.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27816 on: February 25, 2013, 02:29:09 pm »

Pretty cool.  I wonder how big our genome would be if you got rid of all the junk that we don't need and doesn't do anything.

IIRC Only 1 % of the Dna codes for proteins, then another 10-20 % controls these. The rest is filler. (Garbage, or currently inactive genes that could be reactivated in the future)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27817 on: February 25, 2013, 03:09:42 pm »

Although we're increasingly finding that a lot of genes that were thought to be "just filler" have purposes we didn't realise because they were activated so infrequently.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27818 on: February 25, 2013, 03:28:11 pm »

One day ol' Bessie's gonna turn on those viper genes, and there will be hell to pay.

OTOH, I've heard of milking a snake, but I don't think that's how its supposed to work.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27819 on: February 25, 2013, 03:28:57 pm »

I've heard of milking a snake, but I don't think that's how its supposed to work.

Thats what she said...
This is a blank sig.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27820 on: February 25, 2013, 03:29:19 pm »

One day ol' Bessie's gonna turn on those viper genes, and there will be hell to pay.

OTOH, I've heard of milking a snake, but I don't think that's how its supposed to work.

Basically you force the snake to bite onto a container or funnel of some design.

That is the most simple way to explain it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27821 on: February 25, 2013, 03:30:32 pm »

Basically you force the snake to bite onto a container or funnel of some design.

That is the most simple way to explain it.
Pretty sure he was just making a joke. Now, imagine milking a snake the way one does a cow.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27822 on: February 25, 2013, 03:31:06 pm »

You couldn't a snake lacks mammilian traits.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27823 on: February 25, 2013, 03:31:59 pm »

*breaks out the whip* DO IT ANYWAY, WAGE SLAVE!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27824 on: February 25, 2013, 03:38:30 pm »

How 'bout we try milking cows the way we milk snakes?
Pages: 1 ... 1853 1854 [1855] 1856 1857 ... 11037