Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1782 1783 [1784] 1785 1786 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14444669 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #26745 on: February 07, 2013, 01:52:38 am »

Failing that, just bar the door with a chair while they're gone.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26746 on: February 07, 2013, 01:57:53 am »

...but sacrificeeeeesss...
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26747 on: February 07, 2013, 01:59:07 am »

Well, I just had the WTF moment to end all WTF moments.

So it's 1:30 AM here, and I hear a knock on my door. I open it, and it is covered in sticky notes. Sticky notes spelling out my name, and with hearts on them, and asking me to date and/or have sex with the note placer.

I take them all down, and a few minutes later there's another knock. I open it, and who is standing there but Party Girl and one of her friends. This is fucking war. Now she's just doing all this shit to annoy me. They took my roommate and left, hopefully none of them come back and I can sleep.
...would your school/university take offense to you sacrificing them in an altar in my name?
What, the sticky notes?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26748 on: February 07, 2013, 02:00:00 am »

Fishing village? They locally source their sacrifices. Very concerned about the environment, nice folk. If only they conserved marine life better...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26749 on: February 07, 2013, 02:03:31 am »

...I am the avatar of facepunching. WHY AM I BEING A VOICE OF REASON!?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26750 on: February 07, 2013, 02:03:40 am »

Well, I just had the WTF moment to end all WTF moments.

So it's 1:30 AM here, and I hear a knock on my door. I open it, and it is covered in sticky notes. Sticky notes spelling out my name, and with hearts on them, and asking me to date and/or have sex with the note placer.

I take them all down, and a few minutes later there's another knock. I open it, and who is standing there but Party Girl and one of her friends. This is fucking war. Now she's just doing all this shit to annoy me. They took my roommate and left, hopefully none of them come back and I can sleep.
...would your school/university take offense to you sacrificing them in an altar in my name?
What, the sticky notes?
Yes, actually. All that mistaken/repressed lust contains a lot of power, if you know what to do with it.

Fishing village? They locally source their sacrifices. Very concerned about the environment, nice folk. If only they conserved marine life better...
I'm branching out currently.
Sig! Onol

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26751 on: February 07, 2013, 02:27:43 am »

In my somewhat large city/town, our police force is rather respectable.

In mine they are.... not.

And this is why the police are fucking inept.

Please do not make sweeping generalizations about a group of people based on the misinformed actions of a few. The overwhelming majority of police officers are intelligent and make rational choices in the line of duty. This incident wasn't so much caused by ineptitude or stupidity as it was by a lack of clear communication and incorrect decision-making based on that lack of communication.

Umm... this incident was kind of caused by lack of communication, but that lack of communication was caused by people making bad decisions, including about 1/3 of the Cleveland PD disobeying direct orders.

And not all generalizations are bad. 

Many are bad because they're based on a lack of information or on making connections between people where none exist.  For example, there is absolutely no reason to believe that skin color is a universal factor in personality/behavior/culture.  That is an ignorant generalization.

However, there are many generalizations that can be made based on groupings that people place themselves in by their choices, common interests, etc.  For instance, it's pretty safe to assume that any Dwarf Fortress player is someone who enjoys complex problem solving, doesn't judge things superficially, is willing to engage themselves in non-social activity for long periods, is decently internet-savvy, etc.  These are not guaranteed things, but they're very highly likely to be true for the majority of the DF community.

Similarly, it's also safe to assume a lot of things about police officers.  That is an organization they chose to place themselves in, and it's not like choices have no basis in the nature of a person.  Like any organization, it also has its own internal culture that will have an effect on a person who spends extended periods of time immersed in that culture.  Police are a high-profile presence in daily life everywhere (I see at least one for every 5 minutes of driving where I live), so there's also no lack of data on their behavior.  The generalizations people make about them are not based on misinformation.  They're based on the fact that police misconduct is a daily occurrence across the country, and the reactions of the organization as a whole to these incidents. 

A couple years ago, we had an officer plow over 4 motorcycles while driving drunk on the job.  Fellow officers showed up to the scene and mishandled all the evidence so that it couldn't be used in court.  The two who are mainly responsible for fucking up the case were demoted... and then quietly re-promoted about a year later to even higher positions than they held before the incident.  This kind of thing does not point to the misconduct of a single officer, but corruption embedded in the institution itself.  As does the fact that officers who oppose the abuses of their co-workers are actively weeded out.

I have a bunch more stuff I could share from friends, too.  Thankfully, I've managed to avoid much interaction with them.  I have a friend I've known for about 6 years who became an officer a couple years ago, and I can already see how the internal culture has changed him.  One of our mutual friends was a victim of police abuse not too long ago.  He was given a bad psychiatric prescription.  He called for an ambulance but police showed up first and immediately attacked him because he was acting strangely.  Our buddy on the force actually defended this.

Hell... I was talking about this yesterday with the guy who is sitting behind me right now, and he related that his cousin died recently while in police custody, because he was diabetic and they neglected his condition... chronically neglected it, even.  They had to get him emergency care multiple times because of neglect, and never bothered to take any steps to improve their procedure.

A secondary issue is that most police departments are under extremely tight budgets, which reduces the amount of training that officers can receive. The situation under discussion is a textbook case of training breaking down, which would likely have been averted had the funds for such training been available.

I very much disagree.

You could say that they're receiving obscene amounts of misallocated funding.  They have no shortage of military-grade hardware and training in violence (with an apparent focus on self-defense over public defense), but it seems like they have no training in how to interact with people positively, or how to determine appropriate levels of force, or basic understanding of their role in society.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26752 on: February 07, 2013, 04:44:06 am »

This night i lived another full life in a dream.
And again i woke up without any account on who i am or if i even existed..

What the fuck is happening to me.. ?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26753 on: February 07, 2013, 04:45:35 am »

Maybe memories of past lives are popping up?

Start believing in reincarnation! It is the only logical conclusion.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26754 on: February 07, 2013, 04:47:08 am »

Maybe memories of past lives are popping up?

Start believing in reincarnation! It is the only logical conclusion.
Not pleasant, but it works.
Sig! Onol

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #26755 on: February 07, 2013, 05:03:31 am »

I just nuked a large derail from this thread.  People should know better, especially after I just locked a thread related to the derail.  Aerie is gone, in part for being a central character in the derail, in part for image spam, and in part for ignoring a few recent warnings on derailing.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #26756 on: February 07, 2013, 05:08:39 am »

That was dramatic.

Now back to your regularly scheduled WTF.
In my case, my internets is now knocked out for reasons unknown... :( Now I can't writ that op, orpost in my forum games. D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26757 on: February 07, 2013, 05:10:57 am »

That was dramatic.

Now back to your regularly scheduled WTF.
In my case, my internets is now knocked out for reasons unknown... :( Now I can't writ that op, orpost in my forum games. D:
A forum game, unupdated?
Oh ye forgotten souls
Who linger in the cold outside of memory
We are your only way back in
So bump
Bump
Bump your way to victory
Sig! Onol

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #26758 on: February 07, 2013, 06:15:03 am »

I cannot say I'm terribly shocked.

I still think I should have got a warning for my behaviour in a certain deleted thread though >.>
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Skold

• Bay Watcher
  • Halaster has nothing on me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26759 on: February 07, 2013, 09:00:31 am »

A good "What the fuck?" moment is that my internet is working much more efficiently now that I've setup the router to utilize Public DNS. Seriously, it makes those image dumps I make on Aurorachan much more enjoyable than they already are.
I was known as dei before. Chances are that isn't a good thing.

Just as a warning, I have Asperger's Syndrome and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Between the lack of a sense of humor, the eccentricities, bizarre obsessions and the swiss cheese-like memory, talking to me should be interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 1782 1783 [1784] 1785 1786 ... 11040