Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1692 1693 [1694] 1695 1696 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14470991 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #25395 on: January 10, 2013, 10:45:09 pm »

Tanks are extremely vulnerable to infantry. Visibility's poor while buttoned up, and, if you stick your head out of the turret to have a look, you're likely to get shot. Besides that, the weapons on a tank are relatively difficult to target infantry with, as the turret has a fairly slow traverse speed and the bow machine guns popular in WWII tanks had exceedingly limited arcs of fire. The commader's machine gun requires him to expose himself to sniper fire as already noted. This means that, without an infantry screen, a soldier with a molotov cocktail, sticky bomb, bangalore torpedo, or other explosive device has a very high chance of knocking out a tank. Thus, with their infantry being slaughtered, the commanders facing Murphy decided that a tactical withdrawal to regroup was the wisest course. It's not as if they knew they were only fighting one man, after all.
Keep forgetting you you can barely see anything from inside a lot of tanks. 
Still, I wonder if the higher ups in the German command structure has a villainous breakdown.  "Your telling me your retreated from a single man, an impoverished farm-boy at that?!"

Every savvy villain should be able to recognize that the absolute worst thing their army of mooks can face is a single farm lad, though.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25396 on: January 10, 2013, 10:46:10 pm »

Tanks are extremely vulnerable to infantry. Visibility's poor while buttoned up, and, if you stick your head out of the turret to have a look, you're likely to get shot. Besides that, the weapons on a tank are relatively difficult to target infantry with, as the turret has a fairly slow traverse speed and the bow machine guns popular in WWII tanks had exceedingly limited arcs of fire. The commader's machine gun requires him to expose himself to sniper fire as already noted. This means that, without an infantry screen, a soldier with a molotov cocktail, sticky bomb, bangalore torpedo, or other explosive device has a very high chance of knocking out a tank. Thus, with their infantry being slaughtered, the commanders facing Murphy decided that a tactical withdrawal to regroup was the wisest course. It's not as if they knew they were only fighting one man, after all.
Still, I wonder if the higher ups in the German command structure has a villainous breakdown.  "Your telling me your retreated from a single man, an impoverished farm-boy at that?!"

Every savvy villain should be able to recognize that the absolute worst thing their army of mooks can face is a single farm lad, though.

"Sir, the enemy forces consist of a single farm boy."
"My god man. Order a full scale retreat. Open up the surrender negotiations."
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #25397 on: January 10, 2013, 10:48:10 pm »

"Sir, the enemy forces consist of a single farm boy."
"My god man. Order a full scale retreat. Open up the surrender negotiations."

Or you land a starfighter on him. Works every time.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25398 on: January 10, 2013, 10:51:23 pm »

Ahhh, the Tarkin Attack. Works great on loads of protestors clogging up important landing sites.

Also, my WTF of the day:

America has culture. o.O
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25399 on: January 10, 2013, 10:58:54 pm »

Semo Hahai
This dude is the most awesome sniper ever.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25400 on: January 10, 2013, 11:04:43 pm »

I have a copy of Sim Earth, and my internet is down often now, So I played it. There's a Modern day mode, start from modern day (1992), and I did that on hard mode.

I drove the entierty of North america, Europe, and Australia extinct by 2005, and caused Global ice age which drove the ice as north as south america and and south as the tip of what would be the US. Africa and asia receded to the Iron age, while South america stayed good at the Industrial age. The ice is reciding now, and I'm trying to get South America to colonize the north. Stubborn little buggers.
Awesome.

IIRC nations are barely modeled, but are there. Did any of the modern south american nations survive? Could we have a Brazilan New America?
They survived, sorta. The center countries. the humans are large in number, but cramped. I'vw been trying to get them to move, or advance, but they just want to stay in their nice safe forest. And one point I gave up and tried lifting them into the pleasant North american clime, but the ones I moved just died. Hell, the african-asians in the iron ages even moved. There's a city up in greenland right now. The SA seem to be gettting the picture though, like 2037, and a few are mving into mexico.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25401 on: January 10, 2013, 11:08:14 pm »

Semo Hahai

I always seen it spelt Simo Hayha, but yes. Yes he is. Finland is a scary place. Full of scary people. Simo Hayha is the scariest person in a scary land filled with scary people.

Anyone that snipes without a scope in five foot deep snow against a regiment of counter-snipers in the dead of winter with snow in their mouth is a bad motherfucker. Anyone that survives this is the BADDEST motherfucker.
He's fucking with us.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25402 on: January 10, 2013, 11:10:11 pm »

Didn't he get addicted to Morphine then lock him self in a hotel room for a few months cold turkey after said explosive shell incident?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25403 on: January 10, 2013, 11:10:21 pm »

Semo Hahai

I always seen it spelt Simo Hayha, but yes. Yes he is. Finland is a scary place. Full of scary people. Simo Hayha is the scariest person in a scary land filled with scary people.

Anyone that snipes without a scope in five foot deep snow against a regiment of counter-snipers in the dead of winter with snow in their mouth is a bad motherfucker. Anyone that survives this is the BADDEST motherfucker.
Especially when he got shot in the face and survived during said murderification.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25404 on: January 10, 2013, 11:12:04 pm »

Semo Hahai

Anyone that takes a bullet to the face on the day the war ends and doesn't spend the rest of their life bitching about it is the baddest motherfucker.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25405 on: January 10, 2013, 11:12:22 pm »

Didn't he get addicted to Morphine then lock him self in a hotel room for a few months cold turkey after said explosive shell incident?

That was someone else.  Forget his name.  The guy who had a movie made about him, and left things out because he didn't think audiences would believe they actually happened.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25406 on: January 10, 2013, 11:12:36 pm »

I think that was Audie Murphy or one of the other Westerners from WWII. IIRC, Simo Hayha just woke from his coma on the day the Winter War ended. Because the USSR is very Genry Savvy.
He's fucking with us.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25407 on: January 10, 2013, 11:14:04 pm »

That was someone else.  Forget his name.  The guy who had a movie made about him, and left things out because he didn't think audiences would believe they actually happened.
Ah, I remember that. People are amazing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25408 on: January 10, 2013, 11:23:26 pm »

Also, my WTF of the day:

America has culture. o.O

It's always frustrated me how Americans are so egocentric and refuse to believe that many of these things aren't universal laws of reality.  Absolutely cannot conceive of life being different in other places.  Maybe that's just Indiana.  Things have gotten much better since the internet took off, but still...  it's a major pet peeve of mine.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25409 on: January 10, 2013, 11:27:14 pm »

Also, my WTF of the day:

America has culture. o.O

It's always frustrated me how Americans are so egocentric and refuse to believe that many of these things aren't universal laws of reality.  Absolutely cannot conceive of life being different in other places.  Maybe that's just Indiana.  Things have gotten much better since the internet took off, but still...  it's a major pet peeve of mine.

The first more than any other, perhaps. And I'm not terribly convinced that that's a bad thing in that particular case.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1692 1693 [1694] 1695 1696 ... 11037