Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1638 1639 [1640] 1641 1642 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14476911 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #24585 on: December 22, 2012, 08:17:43 pm »

Firstly, the whole manipulating people to make a point thing is something that's very rarely ever going to go your way. Take it from someone with experience with this, back in the day I used to do manipulative stuff like that a lot, and I was also a bit of a pathological liar. It rarely ever goes any better than if you'd just been straight up with people. If you're clear about it, you're more likely to get what you were after, and they'll be much less annoyed at you for lying in order to get it.

Secondly I would have told you if you'd just said what you meant, that while there is a certain something to the whole "Death of the Author" thing, knowing more about the author and where they were coming from when they wrote what you're reading can give you a lot of insight into it.

A good book is a good book, even if it's written by a bad person, but sometimes it's nice to have an understanding of the person who wrote the book in question.

And I think that's the last I have to say on that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24586 on: December 22, 2012, 08:20:01 pm »

Well please, stop it, lest the currently present Toady One cast his all-knowing judgement on you,

I stopped a while ago... and I am pretty sure someone ALREADY reported me.

Firstly, the whole manipulating people to make a point thing is something that's very rarely ever going to go your way

It wasn't a trap, though indeed I have used logic traps and they tend not to work because people who fall for those tend to be too bull headed to stop or too ignorant of the trap to be affected.

It wasn't there to make a point it was there so it would flow better.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24587 on: December 22, 2012, 08:20:48 pm »

My searching has failed to unveil whether Lovecraft could swim or not. Now it's going to bother me.

I figured most people could swim in his day, but who knows? Most people can't seem to now, though. It really is odd thinking that the majority of people whom I associate with would die in a couple of minutes if dropped into eight feet of water.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24588 on: December 22, 2012, 08:24:47 pm »

That seems like too specific to really find.

I mean who goes around and asks an author if he could swim or not?

Mind you, I am scared of the Sea and ocean as well.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24589 on: December 22, 2012, 08:32:14 pm »

I'm just saying it would be informative as to his mindset. "Yeah, he was terrified of water", "No, he'd swim in the bay every chance he got", and "He could swim, but wasn't really crazy about it" all put his work in different lights.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24590 on: December 22, 2012, 08:42:56 pm »

I am not really saying anything of importance.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24591 on: December 22, 2012, 08:55:20 pm »

I don't hate you, babe. ;D
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24592 on: December 22, 2012, 09:25:31 pm »

Neonivek, not everyone follows death of the author as closely as you.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24593 on: December 22, 2012, 09:57:46 pm »

You could have taken the example of Céline which was one of the most important writers, and was also very antisemitic, wrote a few phamplets and helped the collaborationists.
There is actual debates to determine if Céline should be or not revered as a great writer, in the light of his antisemitism.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #24594 on: December 23, 2012, 01:29:38 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgFq2j5D5fc
Vocaloids: you're doing it wrong.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24596 on: December 23, 2012, 07:11:15 am »

Was just sitting on the computer doin' stuff as my brothers watched some medieval-set show on TV.
It looked pretty interesting, it actually seemed like a show I'd like to watch, but I never really like watching TV with other people in the tiny little lounge room here. So I ignored it mostly, not really paying attention but unable to shake this vague familiar feeling about the show, like I should know what it was, or maybe I was just thinking it looked pretty cool.

Anyway, I glanced up at one scene, had this really weird moment as everything clicked in my head, and then ran over there and asked, "Is this Pillars of The Earth? What's it called? Is it?!"
I found the remote, checked, and yes, it is the TV adaptation of Pillars of The Earth. :o I'd forgotten about that. Damn that was a good book, I need to find my copy so I can re-read it.

It was a bit awkward, though: the scene that finally triggered my memory and made me leap to my feet in realization was this rather nasty sex scene. :P In fact it was the number of sex scenes in close succession that made me recognize it...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #24597 on: December 23, 2012, 08:25:48 am »

Huh. I wasn't aware there even was a TV adaptation of that.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1638 1639 [1640] 1641 1642 ... 11037