Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1472 1473 [1474] 1475 1476 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14487659 times)

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
  • My destiny is a giant ROCK!?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #22095 on: November 12, 2012, 03:51:07 pm »

There are some people I know who don't seem to know of the word 'the'. It drives me crazy, but I can at least understand them without pausing for a minute just to figure out what they said.
"Teh" is a three letter word.
"The" is a three letter word.
They both use the same letters.
Why would you use Teh, which is not a real word, instead of The?
They don't. They're not native english speakers, and they say sentences like 'Squirrel is being cute'.
)( Pisces and proud of it. )(
Just so you know, I'm a girl.
Songs of the Strawberry Trees~My suggestion game!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22096 on: November 12, 2012, 03:52:40 pm »

See, I'll still read it if it has any bearing on whatever I'm discussing, but...

If someone isn't going to bother with the tiny bit of effort and respect for the people they're speaking with to type legibly (and don't have any reason beyond being too lazy to do it properly), why should anyone else bother with the effort and respect for their thoughts required to parse something? Especially when the sort of problems I'm talking about are far more often this:

OMG u nubcak ur a 4c coronel Y U tink u can say nething abot BR skillz ur not MLG

rather than this:

i dont think that u have relly represanted kants idea rite.

It's a matter of being serious if you want to be taken seriously. On a forum you've got plenty of time to type and think about what you're typing. I can parse smaller (and less frequent) mistakes without even noticing, thanks in no small part to reading badly written fanfiction, but that doesn't mean that it's okay to write like that just because I can't be arsed to use the language that I was raised in to a decent degree.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22097 on: November 12, 2012, 03:55:22 pm »

Not very hypocritical if you never do it.

I have an expectation that people will have the intellectual honesty to over look any spelling errors I do make, no matter how rare, in favor of addressing the subject matter of the post. I hold myself to that same standard.

That and I do often make errors. I have this habit of thinking ahead much further than I have typed, and as such will sometimes replace one word with the next one, leading the phrases like "The quick dog dog jumped over the lazy fox", where the first 'dog' should have been 'brown'.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #22098 on: November 12, 2012, 03:57:00 pm »

At least a third of the time I write "the" as "t  e" and then put the h in last. It is a quirk of my disgraphia. I am also known to accidentally write words upside down on occasion. Typing makes this shit so much easier.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22099 on: November 12, 2012, 03:59:05 pm »

I've been flipping words a bit recently. So I switch might two words right next to each other.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #22100 on: November 12, 2012, 03:59:35 pm »

I tend to make a lot of typos because of a neurological condition which affects my fine motor control and  coordination, I've had friends who make a lot of typos because of an injury they've recieved. You can't always tell when someone is making mistakes because they're lazy and making mistakes because of some other condition, so I prefer to just take it all as one and not make a big deal of it.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22101 on: November 12, 2012, 04:00:48 pm »

Type it in Word first?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22102 on: November 12, 2012, 04:01:28 pm »

I don't have a problem with people writing poorly. But if it's too much effort to read for the apparent reward, I'm just not going to.

It doesn't matter how right you are if you can't communicate it or you make it so unpleasant for people to listen to you that they don't bother.

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22103 on: November 12, 2012, 04:01:41 pm »

Isn't this supposed to be the WTF thread, not the Calm Discussion Of Bad Spelling And Grammar thread?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22104 on: November 12, 2012, 04:02:37 pm »

Horribad spelling makes me go WTF.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22105 on: November 12, 2012, 04:02:48 pm »

Isn't this supposed to be the WTF thread, not the Calm Discussion Of Bad Spelling And Grammar thread?
Clearly someone needs to make seperate threads for that.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22106 on: November 12, 2012, 04:03:15 pm »

The emotion threads derail into stuff like this all the time. Hardly unusual.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22107 on: November 12, 2012, 04:06:51 pm »

Welcome to Bay12, where a WTF thread derails into a calm discussion of internet etiquette instead of people rushing to out post each others NSFW links.
Because at Bay12, we always find a way to derail!  :)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22108 on: November 12, 2012, 04:07:51 pm »

You want on-topic NSFW? Then I could tell you about the RTD irc, but then I wouldn't be derailing.

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22109 on: November 12, 2012, 04:11:15 pm »

You want on-topic NSFW? Then I could tell you about the RTD irc, but then I wouldn't be derailing.
You'd be derailing the derailment.
Pages: 1 ... 1472 1473 [1474] 1475 1476 ... 11037