Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 949 950 [951] 952 953 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14481078 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #14250 on: August 19, 2012, 12:31:37 pm »

It's blatantly obvious that it was a writer's error. They should have simply revised the script. or even dubbed over the line in one of the rereleases. (I don't necessarily agree with the editing done in rereleases, but when it comes to cleaning up obvious errors, that's perfectly fine with me.)
Be careful what you ask for.
"It's the ship that made the kessel run in less than NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo."

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14251 on: August 19, 2012, 12:54:16 pm »

It's blatantly obvious that it was a writer's error. They should have simply revised the script. or even dubbed over the line in one of the rereleases.
Apparently the original script says that Han was bluffing and messed up the units. Since he's an experienced ship pilot though, I kinda doubt that he'd make such a mistake.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14252 on: August 19, 2012, 01:21:36 pm »

That's the common claim. The novelization released around the same time as the film used the word "timeparts" instead of "parsecs." The most obvious culprit is that a scriptwriter decided to throw a more "sciencey" word into the script without understanding what it meant, which is a common problem.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14253 on: August 19, 2012, 04:12:31 pm »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:10:22 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14254 on: August 19, 2012, 04:21:46 pm »

Kids these days don't know how to hunt their own food either! I mean, what's up with that!

Though I do agree it's a silly thing to have an argument over. Sure she's not stressed about something else?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14255 on: August 19, 2012, 04:39:02 pm »

Not so sure about time sheets or whatever, but I do know I'd strangle someone to get a proper database over a series of filing cabinets and paper records. Especially if the folks running and maintaining it aren't goddamn idiots and set up a solid and consistent system straight from the start, and bloody well leave it that way. It is a metric fucktonne faster to hit ctrl+f <name> than dig through dozens/hundreds of files looking for said name. Several times now I've embarked on projects (helping with one of the local schools, sorta') whose time investment would have been cut to tenths or less if it had been digital. Mind you, it would have been cut to three quarters or a half if the filing system being used hadn't been shit (and had like five different people doing things differently involved >_<), but still.

Still, as some major conservationist dude whose name I've forgotten said, it's not the shovel, it's how you use it. Methodology will always be more important than technology, and no matter how good the latter is, if the former's buggered it's not going to help. But, with proper methodology, technology is a force multiplier, so to speak. It's just that said proper methodology is somewhat staggeringly lacking in a lot of cases :P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 04:42:50 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14256 on: August 19, 2012, 04:44:33 pm »

wada bout redundancy? what will happen if, say, google crashes? or if that schools computer dies?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14257 on: August 19, 2012, 04:51:29 pm »

wada bout redundancy? what will happen if, say, google crashes? or if that schools computer dies?

Or when some spills a can of pop on the paper files. Or if they get caught on fire.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14258 on: August 19, 2012, 05:56:59 pm »

It's killing the world with technology that replaces people instead of serving them. .
Except for this part I agree to the rest of your post. Too often technology is seen as some kind of magic wand panacea that will fix all your problems.

It's not, but still, I will not rest until the entire world is out of a job.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14259 on: August 19, 2012, 06:00:52 pm »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:09:55 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14260 on: August 19, 2012, 06:04:38 pm »

Terminators? Violent takeovers? Robot rebellion? Fuck that noise they'll just take all our jobs; quicker, easier and more profitable for the robots.
I, for one, etc.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14261 on: August 19, 2012, 06:05:35 pm »

easier and more profitable for the robots.
The joke's on them, money'll be worthless by then

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14262 on: August 19, 2012, 06:07:21 pm »

Robots are taking over? Huh.

Ah well, have fun refuelling on the rotten flesh of the slain masses! I'm busy being on Mars!
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14263 on: August 19, 2012, 06:18:23 pm »

Robots take low-order jobs and create higher order ones. Take, for example, a robot replacing a worker at a factory producing... Yu Gi Oh Cards. The factory worker is now out of a job. However, there's more demand for a mechanic, since someone needs to take care of the bot. And a slightly larger opening for roboticists, to create the bot. And of course, all this is multiplied as you need a new factory to create the new bot.

Care has to be taken, not because it'll take the jobs and not give any back, but because... Well, what do you do if you can't do mechanics or computers or any of that? The people specialized to creating Yu Gi Oh Cards will be out of a job, and likely won't be mollified by someone saying "There's an opening in the mechanics field" since that's no hope at all.

We're in the Informative Revolution, and the "menial" labor-driven jobs are disappearing, replaced by advanced jobs that are difficult to enter later in life. The day of the laborer is disappearing, the day of the techie is upon us.

That said, Truean, while you're entitled to your opinion, it's probably not common and isn't going to help much. People are really, really, really, really really stupid. As in, "he uses a PC, I'd rather go to jail for a parking fine than have him as my lawyer" or "If I eat this chicken sandwitch all the gays will die in bursts of flame" stupid. A few days ago I saw a guy on youtube who thought that spaceflight was an affront to God and we should stay on Earth.

I definitely remeber the twelfth commandment: Thou Shalt Not Strap Sixteen Tons Of Gunpowder To Your Ass And Use It To Fly
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14264 on: August 19, 2012, 07:03:52 pm »

Robots take low-order jobs and create higher order ones. Take, for example, a robot replacing a worker at a factory producing... Yu Gi Oh Cards. The factory worker is now out of a job. However, there's more demand for a mechanic, since someone needs to take care of the bot. And a slightly larger opening for roboticists, to create the bot. And of course, all this is multiplied as you need a new factory to create the new bot.

Care has to be taken, not because it'll take the jobs and not give any back, but because... Well, what do you do if you can't do mechanics or computers or any of that? The people specialized to creating Yu Gi Oh Cards will be out of a job, and likely won't be mollified by someone saying "There's an opening in the mechanics field" since that's no hope at all.

We're in the Informative Revolution, and the "menial" labor-driven jobs are disappearing, replaced by advanced jobs that are difficult to enter later in life. The day of the laborer is disappearing, the day of the techie is upon us.

That said, Truean, while you're entitled to your opinion, it's probably not common and isn't going to help much. People are really, really, really, really really stupid. As in, "he uses a PC, I'd rather go to jail for a parking fine than have him as my lawyer" or "If I eat this chicken sandwitch all the gays will die in bursts of flame" stupid. A few days ago I saw a guy on youtube who thought that spaceflight was an affront to God and we should stay on Earth.

I definitely remeber the twelfth commandment: Thou Shalt Not Strap Sixteen Tons Of Gunpowder To Your Ass And Use It To Fly

O I've been waiving the "people are stupid," flag for years. There's even an anthem or a pledge or a napkin from Denny's with some words on it or something for it.

As for Robots creating higher order jobs.... That might be true with the robot repair workers, until those repairers are replaced with Robots. Even if you don't allow for robots that repair other robots, you need way less of those guys than you're losing in jobs, so even then, net loss.

Ultimately you're either going to end up with star Trek Utopia or the unfortunately more likely opposite. Its a great theory, Robots being good, but a terrible reality. You're talking about the species that was given the potential for massive power as long as we were smart with it and the first thing we did was build a nuke instead....

As for people's opinions, that's sadly true.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 949 950 [951] 952 953 ... 11037