Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14488239 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #10230 on: June 01, 2012, 03:58:06 pm »

0_o seriously? I thought everyone knew the Principia Discordia, the Law of Five and the Holy Chao.

It's kind of a mock religion created in the 1960's that had some quite interesting theological underpinnings. On the surface, it's the worship of Eris, the Greek goddess of discord. But under the surface, it has some parallels to Taoism, Zen Buddhism, even esoteric schools of Hinduism in that it sees order and disorder as arbitrary human value judgements and that even then, one is not inherently preferable to the other. Given the abundance of attempts by society to bring order to the world, Discordians see their duty as reintroducing disorder/chaos into the system to restore a healthy balance.

Like I said, it's kind of a Ha Ha Only Serious type thing, but it does in fact have thousands of adherents.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10231 on: June 01, 2012, 04:14:56 pm »

One hopes they explain the need to balance arbitrary value judgements and how they mean to go about it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10232 on: June 01, 2012, 04:27:31 pm »

They mostly go about it by changing the way they look at things. Their big on "windows" - aka, how you see the world. Since its arbitrary, nothing actually NEEDS to change for balance to be achieved, other than the way people look at things.

I was a discordian for six years or so, before switching to my current unnamed theism, as explained in the theism thread. I'm still sympathetic to a great many Discordian ideals, too.

I've never been able to tolerate the Bobbites though, and their close relationship with the Discordians was definitely something I saw as a bad thing. (Bobbites meaning members of the Church of the SubGenius)

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10233 on: June 01, 2012, 04:35:06 pm »

I was a discordian for six years or so, before switching to my current unnamed theism, as explained in the theism thread.
That reminds me...

Bill the dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10234 on: June 01, 2012, 04:43:36 pm »

SubGenius?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10235 on: June 01, 2012, 04:45:00 pm »

Discordianism is actually pretty damn cool.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10236 on: June 01, 2012, 05:17:35 pm »

Indeed.  I really need to do some serious reading on Discordianism.  The bits that I do know resonate with me pretty heavily.  Have also had a couple Discordian friends.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #10237 on: June 01, 2012, 06:52:06 pm »

Testing website for a large company, get HTML that includes:

"<span dir=RTL><span lang=AR dir=RTL><span dir=RTL></span>”</span></span><span dir=LTR></span><span lang=EN-US><span dir=LTR></span>"

Just to make a reverse quote mark.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10238 on: June 01, 2012, 07:21:57 pm »

Turn it all into "<spam> spam spam <spam=spam> spam, spam spam spam </spam>".
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10239 on: June 02, 2012, 12:47:12 pm »

Working on a Pokemon mod in DF, and after a long bout between Victreebel and Nidoking eventually ends up with Nidoking going melancholy, and later Sandslash did it too. I didn't even know that could happen to creatures, let alone in the Arena.

Plus, Victreebel is indestructable for some reason. I eventually had to remove its lungs and place [BREATHE] tags on its leaves. It pains, but it never seems to bleed out, setting it on fire doesn't even work, and the only time I managed to kill it with a headshot was when Blastoise, who has an extra tissue layer of iron in its head, Skull Bashed it. Maybe Blastoise is too powerful too, Charizard set it on fire, but right before Blastoise died, it used Hydro Pump, hitting Charizard hard enough to slam into a wall and die.

This is amazing. I want to hear more ridiculous gorey pokemon battles.
I finally fixed Victreebel's near-immortality, I think. Mixed up the meaning behind the various shear/impact tolerance values, mostly. And I was using other Pokemon to test it(mostly Sandslash, whose claws have an increased MAX_EDGE value). A dwarf with an iron axe cut it in half on the first hit.

And part of the problem with setting it on fire was that whenever it shoots out any of its powder attacks(never uses Razorleaf, despite having it), it extinguishes itself. Also managed to knock Raticate clear across the arena pit with Graveler, who otherwise seems to cause glancing hits for some reason.

I am, however, getting sick of the error log being bloated with messages about how every single vanilla bird(Pokemon birds don't, despite being more-or-less copied vanilla bird tags) not being able to connect their tongues to their mouth.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10241 on: June 02, 2012, 02:34:06 pm »

The CDC released a zombie pandemic brochure.
OOOOOOOOLLLLLLLDddd

Their idea was to see who was actually listens to them.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10242 on: June 02, 2012, 02:48:37 pm »

The CDC released a zombie pandemic brochure.

I'm glad they made this. Our city has a massive vaccine research center and they have most viruses and diseases. It has a private security company guarding it, and if someone gets trapped somewhere in the city our STARS team (emergency helicopter rescue service) can get them out. I'm not even joking. It's like my city is Raccoon City.

Funnily enough if we have a prolonged power outage (7-30 days with no power) containment on the vaccine center will be breached and it will probably self-destruct to stop viruses from getting out.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10243 on: June 02, 2012, 03:15:24 pm »

I doubt very much that particular episode was anywhere near realist, in that regard or otherwise.
You'd probably not need to firebomb the place because viruses dont sprout legs and walk their way out of the fridge. Chances are the samples would just go bad and you'd lose a lot of valuable work
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10244 on: June 02, 2012, 04:03:53 pm »

Does this count as an English martial art?

It does look potentially lethal if you have high blood pressure.

A true English martial art is Gloucestershire Shin Kicking.
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 11037