Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14474965 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #8145 on: April 20, 2012, 03:44:58 pm »

An unrelated WTF of the day for me: having to explain the concept of the arithmetic mean to a 22 year old university student.
Oh man, so many people don't know the difference between a median and a mean that it's sickening.

Whenever someone says "the average" of something I always have to ask what they mean. Ex: "The average income is going up." They talking about the mean income, or the median income?
When people say average they usually mean the mean (whoa). I have never seen or heard anybody use it as a median.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8146 on: April 20, 2012, 03:46:05 pm »

I use it as median all the time D:
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #8147 on: April 20, 2012, 03:46:32 pm »

An unrelated WTF of the day for me: having to explain the concept of the arithmetic mean to a 22 year old university student.
Oh man, so many people don't know the difference between a median and a mean that it's sickening.

Whenever someone says "the average" of something I always have to ask what they mean. Ex: "The average income is going up." They talking about the mean income, or the median income?
When people say average they usually mean the mean (whoa). I have never seen or heard anybody use it as a median.
Mathematicians are the only ones who use average to mean anything other than the mean.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: April 20, 2012, 03:47:46 pm »

Correction: nobody in their right mind.

Mathematicians are the only ones who use average to mean anything other than the mean.
Pretty much. I don't even do it because it would only confuse people.

Note to self: use it as the median just to confuse people.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8149 on: April 20, 2012, 03:49:22 pm »

Which average do you like the most?

There are arithmetic averages, geometric averages, and another one I forgotharmonic.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 04:13:48 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: April 20, 2012, 03:50:06 pm »

I like harmonic means because whoa, harmony and peace and shit.

I think that one's used for parallel electric resistances?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: April 20, 2012, 04:11:03 pm »

Well I guess that's another thing I'm weird unique with.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #8152 on: April 20, 2012, 04:37:54 pm »

Strip club spambot in Life Advice.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #8153 on: April 20, 2012, 04:49:21 pm »

Got drug tested 'cause some girls at my school were smoking weed. So, entire school testing.

Damn sure I know who sold it, too.

How fitting, fellow Californians, to keep up the stereotype.

I just say "No" to being drug tested.

That said, I do have valid prescriptions for multiple controlled substances. (Doctors keep foisting percoset/oxycontin on me, but I don't want to get addicted, so I don't take them.)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8154 on: April 20, 2012, 05:45:23 pm »

I usually use average to mean the mode.

It's the one that is most common, and thus the most average. So when people ask me what the average is, I can easily just pick the tallest bar on the bar graph, and say "that one. That one right there. That's my darling little average."

Does this make me a bad person?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8155 on: April 20, 2012, 06:14:19 pm »

You are going to statistics hell. ):

(Or not. I don't really know xD I never took AP Stat...)

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8156 on: April 20, 2012, 06:17:43 pm »

Well it's not the commonly meant one.  Personally I'd say the median is often a better indicator when it comes to, say, financial wellbeing (one millionaire moving into a neighbourhood doesn't suddenly make it 100% more affluent).

NotAQuisling

• Bay Watcher
  • Openly Fey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: April 20, 2012, 06:34:09 pm »

The hails died down but now they spotted a tornado in a nearby town/city. First time the weathers been so odd down here.
Download complete in 15 Days and 7 Hours

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #8158 on: April 20, 2012, 07:07:41 pm »

Oh god, biggest wtf moment of my life. I felt like I had water coming out of my ear, so I shook my head a bit.

It. Was. A motherfucking tick. Creepiest moment of my goddamn life.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: April 20, 2012, 07:09:12 pm »

Oh god, biggest wtf moment of my life. I felt like I had water coming out of my ear, so I shook my head a bit.

It. Was. A motherfucking tick. Creepiest moment of my goddamn life.

Reading that got a real life shiver out of me. Hate spiders and archnids scare the hell out of me. Wouldn't be much better if it had 6 legs instead of 8 but just ......... [shiver]
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 11037