Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14474794 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #8130 on: April 20, 2012, 10:29:57 am »

IMO it's easy figuring out which u's and o's are silent, but maybe that's just me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8131 on: April 20, 2012, 01:27:58 pm »

#1 trending topic on yahoo right now? "sex robots".

LOL
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8132 on: April 20, 2012, 01:29:05 pm »

LOL
Any particular reason?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8133 on: April 20, 2012, 01:31:12 pm »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8134 on: April 20, 2012, 01:33:01 pm »

LOL
Any particular reason?

My guess is on the 'HOOKERBOTS' thing from Your World.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8135 on: April 20, 2012, 01:34:08 pm »

I seem to recall reading that, for example, there were fewer people who actively practiced any sort of religion just after the end of WWII than there are now in the US. [CITATION NEEDED].

Maybe because there were less people in the US just after WW2 than there are now?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8136 on: April 20, 2012, 01:40:03 pm »

I guarantee that any statistics will, at the very least, be per capita instead of absolute numbers.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #8137 on: April 20, 2012, 01:57:17 pm »

The pop music group LMFAO were on American Idol the other day; and the member with the cardboard box on his head goes by the name "Sex Robot", or so I have heard.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: April 20, 2012, 02:19:28 pm »

Got drug tested 'cause some girls at my school were smoking weed. So, entire school testing.

Damn sure I know who sold it, too.

How fitting, fellow Californians, to keep up the stereotype.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8139 on: April 20, 2012, 03:01:32 pm »

I seem to recall reading that, for example, there were fewer people who actively practiced any sort of religion just after the end of WWII than there are now in the US. [CITATION NEEDED].
Secularism (not to be confused with atheism, which is a different concept) has always been common in the US. The reason it dwindled in the US in the middle of the twentieth century is a combination of the fear of being destroyed at any given moment by an outbreak of nuclear war, combined with the fact that the main rival state had made the extermination of all religion a cornerstone of its political goals. This led a huge number of people who simply believed, but had generally dispensed with the trappings, to rejoin the Church. This, combined with the rise of mass-media evangalism, is how the religious revival got going here. (Note also that this effect was far more prevalent in Western Europe, statistically. It wasn't until the late 1970's - early 1980s that Europe's revival began to fade.)

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: April 20, 2012, 03:25:50 pm »

Secularism (not to be confused with atheism, which is a different concept) has always been common in the US. The reason it dwindled in the US in the middle of the twentieth century is a combination of the fear of being destroyed at any given moment by an outbreak of nuclear war, combined with the fact that the main rival state had made the extermination of all religion a cornerstone of its political goals. This led a huge number of people who simply believed, but had generally dispensed with the trappings, to rejoin the Church. This, combined with the rise of mass-media evangalism, is how the religious revival got going here. (Note also that this effect was far more prevalent in Western Europe, statistically. It wasn't until the late 1970's - early 1980s that Europe's revival began to fade.)
That was pretty much what I knew/had assumed. Not entirely unreasonable, given the sort of fear that people were living with and their inability to deal with that fear through rational means. The problem being that it isn't going away, as it is one of the driving forces behind a lot of the social problems we have now (re: orientation discrimination, a large part of the islamophobia thing, etc. etc.).

An unrelated WTF of the day for me: having to explain the concept of the arithmetic mean to a 22 year old university student.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8141 on: April 20, 2012, 03:27:55 pm »

Sorry if I came across wrong. I had some books at work today (published, incidentally, but the Communist Party OF Great Britain) that tried very hard (and very badly) to portray the prewar West as just one step from an atheist Utopia. It irritated me.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #8142 on: April 20, 2012, 03:32:50 pm »

I really don't see much practical use for means vs true averages.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: April 20, 2012, 03:35:32 pm »

An unrelated WTF of the day for me: having to explain the concept of the arithmetic mean to a 22 year old university student.
Oh man, so many people don't know the difference between a median and a mean that it's sickening.

Whenever someone says "the average" of something I always have to ask what they mean. Ex: "The average income is going up." They talking about the mean income, or the median income?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: April 20, 2012, 03:35:47 pm »

Not at all. I was already aware that (barring a few groups of hardliners), the stance on religion in the US for most of our history was largely "meh", in that most people were technically religious but extreme devotion wasn't the norm. Of course, expecting fair, evenhanded treatment of anything from a Communist group is about as reasonable as expecting it from Joe McCarthy (well, perhaps a bit more reasonable, given that once you get past the whole historical dialectic thing, most communists aren't batshit insane).

ed:

Oh man, so many people don't know the difference between a median and a mean that it's sickening.

Whenever someone says "the average" of something I always have to ask what they mean. Ex: "The average income is going up." They talking about the mean income, or the median income?

Oh, no, it wasn't even that. It was that he literally didn't understand the concept of taking the total value of a set of data and dividing it by the number of data values in the set. As in, he didn't understand the process of deriving the arithmetic mean, and looked at me like I was some sort of witch when I tried to explain it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:38:39 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 11037