Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14476851 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #8115 on: April 20, 2012, 01:39:19 am »

I will forgive them, however, because they brought us Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, The Who, etc.

+1
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8116 on: April 20, 2012, 01:51:21 am »

Fun fact, Brits are generally not patriots, in fact, the US's brand of patriotism can be kind of disturbing to Brits (personally I think the way you all get your children to swear allegiance to your country in a religious way every day at school is adorable, it's so quaintly North Korea). The modern day Brit is usually not very patriotic, and accepting of the idea that their country might not actually be the best in the world...

Unless we're talking about football in which case fuck you guys, all your countries suck.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8117 on: April 20, 2012, 01:55:12 am »

Some parts of England are pretty nasty. (e.g. gangs, getting knifed in the park, having the shit beaten out of you because you once dated a girl who's going out with some arsehole, etc)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8118 on: April 20, 2012, 01:56:17 am »

Some parts of England are pretty nasty. (e.g. gangs, getting knifed in the park, having the shit beaten out of you because you once dated a girl who's going out with some arsehole, etc)
Isn't that true of pretty much everywhere?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8119 on: April 20, 2012, 02:05:50 am »

That's the thing. Brits are just sort of... There.

Americans, well, we are indoctrinated from the moment of our birth into an extensive system finely tailored to ensure our explicit complicity in the socio-political machinations of corporate America.

...And then somewhere along the line, a dodgeball to the head makes us all semi-normal again. Somewhat.

<_<
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8120 on: April 20, 2012, 03:29:11 am »

Europeans like to make such claims, but when push comes to shove, too many people are too nationalistic to make those claims stick in anything other than individual cases.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8121 on: April 20, 2012, 03:31:56 am »

Most of the other Brits I know find nationalism/patriotism highly disturbing.  It's what makes our country the best.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: April 20, 2012, 03:36:19 am »

Most of the other Brits I know find nationalism/patriotism highly disturbing.  It's what makes our country the best.
I see what you did there.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8123 on: April 20, 2012, 03:43:50 am »

That's the thing. Brits are just sort of... There.

Americans, well, we are indoctrinated from the moment of our birth into an extensive system finely tailored to ensure our explicit complicity in the socio-political machinations of corporate America.

...And then somewhere along the line, a dodgeball to the head makes us all semi-normal again. Somewhat.

<_<

So that's why they forbade dodgeball in gym class.

Europeans like to make such claims, but when push comes to shove, too many people are too nationalistic to make those claims stick in anything other than individual cases.

It is possible to be disturbed by other's nationalism while being nationalistic themselves, though. I know I am, though mostly for joke purposes rather than actual pride or opinion that my "nation" is the best one ever and unable to do wrong or mistakes ever. We also have to remember to separate nationalism and nation-centrism. For example, I often feel like I talk too much about Sweden this and Sweden that here on the forums, but it's also because I just don't have much experience from outside it.
Love, scriver~

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8124 on: April 20, 2012, 03:46:15 am »

To be fair, I think the Swedish have more reason to be nationalistic than a lot of others.  Finnish people can also be as patriotic as they want, they've earned it.  It's just always astounded me that the most patriotic of the western nations is (arguably, I guess) the most assbackwards one.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: April 20, 2012, 04:03:28 am »

Goddammit, don't reinforce it! :P
Love, scriver~

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: April 20, 2012, 05:27:09 am »

Goddammit, don't reinforce it! :P

Kalmar über alles!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: April 20, 2012, 10:00:44 am »

Of course, a lot of the really scary nationalism and state-religion stuff started up fairly recently, not least because of the Cold War. I seem to recall reading that, for example, there were fewer people who actively practiced any sort of religion just after the end of WWII than there are now in the US. [CITATION NEEDED]. Then there is the whole thing about how the "Under God" was only added in 1954 (screwing up the flow of the thing); the people who added it believed (or claimed) that they were quoting the Gettysburg Address, when the implication of Lincoln's use of that phrase was 'God willing'. Though of course we all really know that it was done to make us different from the godless commie pinko athiests.

Funnily enough, the pledge is the one area where I'm cheering on the Jehovah's Witnesses, because they've been combatting the requirement of children to recite the pledge (as it is idolatry, in their view) since 1940, if I remember correctly.

Finally, enjoy the Bellamy salute:

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: April 20, 2012, 10:14:48 am »

How hard is it to take a u off the end of a word anyway?

Because, technically, in Japanese the only consonant that isn't followed by a vowel is "n".  All syllables in Japanese are either a vowel, a consonant-vowel pair, or "n". 

Ok, well, there's consonant-consonant-vowel, and "y" acts like a vowel sometimes too. 

In speech, however, sometimes the trailing vowels are all but dropped.  "Desu" being one example. 

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: April 20, 2012, 10:27:20 am »

Because, technically, in Japanese the only consonant that isn't followed by a vowel is "n".  All syllables in Japanese are either a vowel, a consonant-vowel pair, or "n".
I know, I have half a GCSE in Japanese (speaking and listening.  Writing would be way beyond my horrible handwriting ability)!  I meant in terms of interpreting the word as an English speaker.
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 11037